Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting at an intersection on the 954 the other day and some little kid in the car next to me was eyeballing me.  So I waved.  The kids eyes lit up!  She didn't wave back, but must have said something to her mom cause her mom started to look back at me as I pulled forward.  

Made me realize that seeing the reaction on kids' faces when they see a bike is just one of the things I love about this sport.  The others being appreciation of the performance, rider skill, and meeting cool people that I normally would not have.  

Please chime in w/ your favorites.  I wanna hear them.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
You pretty much covered most of mine. I get little kids hanging out the car window all the time, it's great!!

Something else on my list is the free feeling you get when you ride.

·
Registered
741 Posts
exactly plus just the feeling of getting away from life i get when i am out riding !!! there is nothing better, you could be with a group of 100 people and its still just you and your machine !

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
stopsign :  exactly plus just the feeling of getting away from life i get when i am out riding !!!   there is nothing better, you could be with a group of 100 people and its still just you and your machine !
W3RD!!  It's what I do to unwind.  I feel so much better even after a 5 min. ride

If people realized how well this kind of therapy works, psychologists would be in trouble

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I walked into a restaurant with a friend the other week. Her with her edwards rep arai and me with my hayden rep arai (ie, very colorful&#33. Leather jackets on, the whole nine yards...

This little boy is sitting on a chair in the foyer and looks at my helmet and hers and completely lights up with a SMILE! He automatically connected the helmets to sport bikes of some sort and he was all smiles. So I waved to him and said hey and he starts giggling.

The countless stares by kids as you pass them on the road or they pass you, or you are stopped at an intersection... Little girls are the cutest! They always wave...

Besides that, most street riding sucks thanks to the stunters and the assholes that do wheelies and crap all over town... Now, if you start talking track, motorcycling means another whole thing to me then...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Mainly I love the sensation of speed and the freedom of a bike, road, dirt, or even Mt bike. Intimacy with nature is the other thing that makes an MC better than any cage, 4 wheeler etc etc.

The difficulty in trying to ride a bike properly is also very rewarding.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Street riding-

Not needing a destination to enjoy the ride.

Much more visceral. You not only see the scenery, you smell it, you experience temp changes, etc.

Meeting random people when stopped.

Track-

Pushing yourself to your personal limits.

Not a large percentage of the population does it. Not everyone has experienced their knee sliding along the ground at 100+.

You meet people who are as passionate (sometimes crazy) about something as you are.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
1. Freedom
2. Wind
3. cornering
4. speed/acceleration
5. making a kid smile from ear to ear
6. anonymity
7. seeing every punk in a 5.0, Camaro, or Riced out civic get pissed because they damn well know they have no chance

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Boy, there is a big list of thins I enjoy.

One of them is the way the kids get excited. I live at the dead-end of a quiet road, so any time I leave the house I have to go the same way and the kids hear me rolling down the hill and the boys always line up on the road and wave. I'll often see them strolling up the hill to ask me things about the bike. It's fun, it's neat. Who know a 40 year old geek could be *cool*.

I was out test-riding bikes yesterday and some kids pulled up next to me at the light and rolled own the window wanting me to rev it up so they could hear it..

Then there is the freedom I feel when out riding.. having a perfectly good reason to go absolutely nowhere... just to be OUT and ABOUT.

I sure do love this activity!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Motorcycling for me is a great (and just about the only) stress relief that I've had. It really helps me forget the daily grind. I like being in the wind - the freedom, the sensation of (almost) flight. I like the feeling of finally making it through a set of curves flawlessly.

I wave at the kids staring out of the windows of the minivans - it's a kick to see them smile.

Motorcycling for me isn't just a sport - it's life.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The other week I had one of the most enjoyable times on my bike: It was about 7am and I was riding on the highway on my way to work. Not too many cars were out and the sun was just starting to rise against a clear sky, it was a cool 60degrees. The large vast bushes of Honeysuckles along the highway were in full bloom. And at one moment with all these things going on, time seemed to slow down and I took a deep breath of the sweet air , felt the cool air flowing around my body, closed my eyes and exhaled with a big satisfiying smile.

Thats why I love to ride!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
alexandra : the cool air flowing around my body, closed my eyes and exhaled with a big satisfiying smile.

girls just shouldn't say things like that!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
RedTalon : Quote (alexandra @ May 22 2003, 1:17pm)the cool air flowing around my body, closed my eyes and exhaled with a big satisfiying smile.

girls just shouldn't say things like that!  
I was going to say ' the cool air enveloping my body' but thought that might make some of you guys breath a bit heavier!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Kids are great! One time riding, there were these two little boys glued to the window of a car. They kept looking until finally, I gave them a little wave. They got so excited, eyes real big, and waved back.

I love the feel of being oustide all the time when I'm on the bike.
The feel of dipping down in turns like a roller coaster is great!
I love feeling the change in temperatures, riding from the cold fog, then suddenly having the warm sunshine like you just stepped into a heated room.
The scents are great, Spring flowers, trees, the smell of dirt, grass.
It feels like a being a kid experiencing the freshness of life, I suppose.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
To add to what's been mentioned:

Gs (accel, decel, lateral)

that feeling of floating, often like flying

oddly enough, serenity

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's my escape from all the other 'noise' going on in everday life. I tend to not worry about things when I'm on the bike.

I notice things while riding that would never be noticed in a cage... road conditions (oil, rain, potholes, etc.), temp changes, smells (good and the bad), etc. It's like an enhanced-awareness experience.

I also like the fact that, even though I'm on the same roads, traffic jams, etc., I'm not following the herd.

I smile a lot, too... something I'm accused of not doing often enough. A lot to be said for the 'grin factor'.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Motorcycling is about the freedom to journey. Each person is different. Therefore, their journey is different. That is why I don't care if you take your journey on Honda, Kawasaki, Cagiva, Motto Guzzi, Ducati, Suzuki, Yamaha, Triumph, Bimota, KTM, BMW, Indian, Victory, or Harley Davidson. As long as your on two wheels you've made the personal committment to explore life on two wheels. As you all have said, there is nothing like being plugged into your environment on a motorcycle. Cagers cannot even begin to understand.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I have so many reasons for riding... in fact, I usually answer the question with the old adage, 'If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.'

I liked Honda's advertisement, 'I ride because my friends do, my boss doesn't and sometimes you just have to lose them both.'

lets see if we can compile the list...
Freedom. The wind, alone with your machine, not being limited by the laws of man or machine.
Being unique. Doing something that others can't.
Comradery. Being a patch in the quilt work of motorcyclists, sharing experiences, a part of the family.
Making others smile. The kids, the ladies, the guys.
Making you smile. The speed, acceleration, cornering. The ego boost from owning the fastest street legal machine in the world.
Pushing the limits. Pushing your limits, pushing the bike's limits, pushing the limits of physics.
Adversity. Overcoming the challenges of weather, fear, gravity.

[Edit: Fixed spelling]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lemme see:
- to just escape
- the fresh air from lakes, trees, parks...
- meeting new people
- learning something new almost every time I ride

At work I park my bike about 20 feet from a daycare. It's really neat to see all the kids glued to the fence....always makes me smile.

Oh yeah, there is just something about the sound of an engine rev'n over 10k (while riding ).

Daymn, I gotta find a way to ditch work.  

1 - 20 of 50 Posts