Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to determine if I need to replace a gear or two in my transmission.
But I can't find much info or pictures on just how worn does the gear have to be to warrant a replacement.
Looking at the dogs I would say that just the very edges, which are already tapered from the factory, show a tiny amount of wear.
Do the edges have to be completely rounded beyond the factory taper? or is very minor scuffing (factory taper is still there..) reason to overhaul?

History: This last summer I found the transmission skipping out of 2nd gear, one to two time a day. Told it was probably a bent shift fork (looks like I have two that are bent) and probably worn dogs.

But looking at the wear that I am seeing, I can't believe the gears need to be changed. Is it possible that I caught it early enough that the dogs aren't badly damaged yet?

I would really appreciate input from anyone who has experience with motorcycle transmission repair.

Thanks,

Kelsey

PS: I hate circlips!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can you post up some pics of the gears? Hard to say if they need to be replaced without seeing them. From what you are describing though it sounds like the gears are just showing normal wear and should be fine.

Now when you say the bike skipped out of 2nd gear a few times a day do you mean it didn't go into gear or was hard to get into second gear or did the bike actually shift into second and then popped out of gear when you got on the gas. If it was just hard to get in gear some times then it is only a bent shift fork. If it went into gear and then would pop out when you would accelerate hard then the dogs are worn and should be replaced. Did the shift drum look ok? I just had to replace my shift drum and a shift fork in my trans. I caught it early and didn't have to replace any gears. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input, but I don't want to replace $400 to $600 in gears if I don't have to. I really just want to know how rounded off the dog has to be to be considered a must replace part. They show so little wear that I find it hard to believe that is the problem.
The forks on the other hand do show wear indicating that they are bent, but again you can't even feel the wear with your finger. You can see that the fork is making contact witht the gears with more than just the pads or prongs. But I have been told that that is what a bent fork looks like.....

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's kinda rare to actually bend a fork. If it's jumping out of a gear due to a fork, it's worn not bent. Measure the foot end of the fork and compare to specs in manual. Also (as Roland suggested) check the drum. Edges of the grooves should be good and sharp. Are the edges of your dogs just shiny? If so, that's normal wear. While it's out, I'd send both shafts to someone to have them undercut. Best money you will ever spend. APE will do both of them for less than 400 bucks and bike will shift better than new. I'd do everything I wanted first time, it's not a job you'd want to repeat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post up some pics of the gears? Hard to say if they need to be replaced without seeing them. From what you are describing though it sounds like the gears are just showing normal wear and should be fine.

Now when you say the bike skipped out of 2nd gear a few times a day do you mean it didn't go into gear or was hard to get into second gear or did the bike actually shift into second and then popped out of gear when you got on the gas. If it was just hard to get in gear some times then it is only a bent shift fork. If it went into gear and then would pop out when you would accelerate hard then the dogs are worn and should be replaced. Did the shift drum look ok? I just had to replace my shift drum and a shift fork in my trans. I caught it early and didn't have to replace any gears. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your input. I had to really think about it because its been a few months since I have been on it......but what it was doing was when shifting in to second it just wouldn't catch, so when I let the clutch out I would be free reving. I decided to replace 2nd and 6th gear (as well as the left shift fork), since those are the two that mate in the shift to second. I also notice a tiny amount of extra wear between 4th and 5th gear. The shift drum looks mint!
When I had the motor upside down and the sump off I could shift through the gears and see what all was going on in there. From doing that I was able to see that 4th and 5th gear mate in the shift form 1st to N. So it would make sense to see extra wear there, since the shift to 2nd gear goes through neutral. But I haven't had problems with that shift what so ever.
But to avoid help avoid problems in the future I will be installing the Factory Pro shift kit with the detent star.
I really want to undercut the gears but unfortunately I am on a tight budget.
That is on the list of things to do next off season.... I don't mind taking it all apart so if I have to next winter or the winter after that to replace another gear and get them undercut, I will do that.

Thanks again, your input helped!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.