Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

801 - 820 of 851 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check the manufacture date on my tires on my 2001 CBR 929. They were made in Week 52 of 2000. So, they're 19 years and 4 months old. I think it's time to replace them. My 2001 bike has less than 6,500 miles, so the tread is OK but I think they're too old. I posted this elsewhere, but what do you guys think of these tires?

I'm about ready to buy these but I wanted to wait until I hear what you guys here think.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Answered in other post.

I have a couple of bikes with 'old' tyres too. I'm never concerned unless there is visible cracking. Would have a different attitude to changing if I were doing track days though! Remember that we can see vintage cars with tyres of more than 50 years old on them. Different stresses, I know, but rubber is quite resilient.

I know this because my infrequency of intimate relations sees me using condoms almost 3 years beyond the 'Use by' date. Again, they are not subjected to the higher speeds of a younger rider.:ROFLMAO:;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm rolling on old rubber but I do see a difference. The 1100 is on original tires (tyres). I didn't check the dates but the bike has an October '94 build date so they're pretty old. The bike's been off the road for about 15 years. Now it's leaving a black mark from a first gear hit at about 3K. It didn't do that last century. I think about that on turns.
newpod.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Tyre technology has moved forward so much in the last 15 years it really is worth putting new tyres on, you’ll find that they will warm up much quicker and just provide so much more confidence. Even the cheaper old stock Pirelli Diablo’s which can be bought for about £130 a pair are really good. My choices are slightly more limited as I still run a 16” front wheel, but Metzelers are excellent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I ordered a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tires today and figured I'd replace the front and rear brake pads while I have the wheels off. I plan to remove and mount the tires myself and then take them to a local shop to get balanced. I haven't done this before, but I did work at a service station when I was in college and I used to mount car and truck tires. We had a machine, but the principle is still the same. YouTube videos are great for this kind of stuff.

Anyone ever balance there own tires? It doesn't seem to difficult.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i just grabbed a set of dunlop q3+ for the 954. i make it a year max on a set and could not imagine riding on tires that old yikes! iit would be in the back of my mind at all the wrong times..:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I dragged mine out today. . .
Good on ya. I've been so close to breaking the curfew. I've done a couple of 'essential shopping' trips that total no more than 25 miles. I'm so busting to get out properly I might even have to break our curfew.

Perhaps it's not responsible to be thinking in this way, but the whole lockdown 'rules' have been breached since recycling centres have been opened in UK. They fit in neither essential work nor essential shopping and have completely clouded the whole 'stay at home' instruction.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
All Wiltshire recycling has been shut for weeks.

oddly it is 50 miles to the nearest pharmacy when I go by bike!! 🤣

I’m not meeting or interact with anybody by going for a ride so can’t see the harm, it not like going for a ride with your mates, going to a bike meet or to a pub. Just one man and machinery in perfect harmony (to pinch a well known advertising slogan!!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not sure how riding, especially if you wear a full-faced helmet, is doing anything to spread COVID-19. I just put new tires and brakes on my 929 and have been out every day. No restrictions on bikes here, and with the awesome weather we've had, everyone is out on their bikes.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
i gave the hondas a friend... also a honda. 2007 VT1100C, or as nidel would say, a fake harley. Newest bike i've ever owned
in real rough shape but you guys said i've gotta work up the courage to tear something apart some day.
View attachment 107401
Just know this on those oldie but goodie Shadows, 2 less cylinders than you're used to, but the same amount of spark plugs ;)

Good for you, you'll get it fixed up and sell it fast, no need for that with a 900 and VFR in the stable :cool:

Looks pretty clean, save for the tank. Those things are truly bullet proof.

·
Registered
343 Posts
yup, found that out pretty quick. they're a lot easier to replace though, don't have to remove anything to get to them..

Previous owner said the bike was running rough so he took it to a shop, spend over $600 having carbs rebuilt and new coils put in but that didn't fix the problem so he bought a new bike and this one sat for 2 years. he had also spray painted the front fender and tank satin black. I'll probably give it a black pearl job since i've got stuff for that laying around.

battery was dead so didn't get to test anything. pulled crank cover off and rotated engine to make sure it wasn't seized then paid $800 for it.

Took it home, tossed the battery on the tender and started tearing down. plugs don't look bad but it was definitely running rich. there was a surprise in the bike too. i'll post a thread once i get further along. my only time to work on it is saturdays with both of us working from home and having to teach the kids.

801 - 820 of 851 Posts