Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

841 - 857 of 857 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
That’s a shame, it looks promising in the photos. Lots of original bits and nice colour scheme as well.
Yeah, thanks. I'm fairly impulsive, so if something grabs me, I'll snaffle it straight away. I'd actually taken some cash with me as deposit, so I was prepared, but I firmly believe that some of the bolt head condition and wheel spacers are indicative of the type of life it's had. Still wondering if I should try for £2500, and consider it a 'project bike'. Like all of them, it needs lower fork rejuvenation and a heap of bolts. The other question of course is: 'How many of these damn things are around, and how often do these opportunities arise?' I think I need the wisdom of @IanDoohan :) .

On another note, my CBR500R sold this morning (eBay). Should I see that as divine intervention?:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
The problem is that if you insist on OEM replacements the parts bill can add up really quickly, mine was in mint condition but I’ve still ended up spending money on replacement OEM fasteners as I wasn’t completely happy with some of the stainless aftermarket replacements. Most will think I’m a bit mad, but for me it has to be right. The devil is in the detail.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I managed a nice long ride today but decided that I was still not happy with the luggage compartment lock, it’s jammed before and as I really didn’t want a repeat of that I decided that the only way to solve it properly was to strip off the rear bodywork.

Really simple compared with Chinese fairings, for a start everything actually fits in the right place, previously someone had copper slipped all the threads so it all came off like a dream.

Once the lock was exposed I could see what the problem was, the arm had worn a groove over time so it was just a fraction out meaning that the arm on the lock wasn’t quite engaging. I slid the whole mechanism back slightly and very carefully bent the tab, just a little bit so it engaged with the lever on the lock. I trial fitted one side of the fairing to make sure it was all lined up and it was a big improvement. I also cleaned everything and removed the bracket for the Renntec grabrail, If anyone wants one in white let me know as I’m going to put it on eBay.

Once all back together I crossed my fingers tried the lock again and it now seems fine, if it plays up again I think the solution will be to add a small piece of plastic to the tab on the locking mechanism to guarantee it engages every time, but hopefully this small amount of adjustment has done the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Just had my first experience with Ali Express for a 929 screen. So cheap (£12.70) it is almost unbelievable. I usually use Slipscreens Home page | Slipscreens UK because their product is good. A matter of wait and see now.

Already ordered new screen screws and wellnuts, rear cowl, rear pillion hanger so I can modify by lopping the peg off:

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
A few odds? I'd fit a week's shopping or a whole range of cleaning products in that thing!!:)

Of course I won't criticise from where you sourced the idea!!

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I found this the other day and it got me thinking....

Instead of the pig tail for my Optimate charger, could I put a power supply under the rear seat and use it to charge a phone/GPS etc and use it for my Optimate

So I ordered a fused female socket and found this in the garage, it’s for a cycle pump but perfect to mount the socket.

The female socket came with metres of cable so,I cut it back and added some fresh eyelets for the battery terminals, I secured the socket in the pump bracket with some double sided tape and a cable tie just to make sure it doesn’t move.

I secured the bracket with a couple of subtle bolts. I’m really pleased with it, I made sure it didn’t foul the seat when the charger is plugged in.

And tested it with the Optimate.

So now the rear compartment has a full tool kit, an emergency bag, a disc lock, side stand puck and iPhone charger.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I had a similar idea. The 929 has this more hardwired switch with the ignition but the new 1000 I didn’t want to cut in to the wiring. Hunts fitted the Optimate lead which has a fuse in it as protection. I bought another lead from eBay and a 12v to 2x USB charger sockets to use to charge any USB device. It’s not a switched supply so I have to remember to unplug it when not in use but a simple solution all the same....

188AD07C-9D43-4F24-B5F2-F262B2580CB1.jpeg B7E845FB-235C-4312-9FB2-C028EB37FFBA.jpeg A55EE1CF-B815-46F5-815E-53E40297A86B.jpeg 17DCED3E-5556-4DF4-98F7-FE4EC4001CAA.jpeg

841 - 857 of 857 Posts