Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

81 - 100 of 674 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
spent the last two hours drilling out one of the upper engine mounting bolts which had broken off in the hole.

It did start to unwind but is now stuck solid, only about 3 mm of bolt left but I've now had enough, so before I do any damage I'm going to invest in a better drill bit and finish it off tomorrow.

Obviously now no thread left in the hole so i've ordered the correct spacer from Honda and I'll use a long flanged nut and bolt instead. Which considering the previous owner was doing track days with it missing, it should be fine!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts

Are you TRYING to make me dizzy and cross-eyed? :rotfl:

To answer your question, yes I've had to change tires mid-summer. But I order them in plenty of time, and change my own, so no worries.

If you feel like you may have a hankering for a 51, go for it!
There not the torque monsters people rave about. A CBR1000RR has more torque and power. Compare the Dyno sheets. It's just the way the 51 delivers that power in such a linear range that makes the bike feel different than any I4 i've ridden. And talk about feeling planted in the turns! With proper upgraded suspension, she RAILS!!

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
If you feel like you may have a hankering for a 51, go for it!
They're not the torque monsters people rave about.
I would, but I have 3 bikes in the garage meow, and we're looking to build a house soon. 51s are either beat, or mint (around here). if I pick up one cheap, it'll surely cost me THOUSANDS (if I can even find parts).

...and it'd be about the aesthetics, not the ride nor the torque. well, that and having a piece of Honda history ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,687 Posts
All I can do is look at Zed today. First day of 3 weeks off and it's hissing down and the forecast is the same for the next few days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I've been experimenting again. Since the Pipercross air filter allowed me to install#145 main jets, I decided to increase the ID of the intake snorkels. I used 2 inch ID radiator hoses and increased the size of the holes in the airbox lid to accept them.
The power was good with the OEM snorkels, after the mod it was soft low to mid RPM with lean surging. I raised the needle from #2 from the top to the middle clip and added 1/2 turn to the fuel screws.
The power is back, is better and runs cooler. It has a slight surge around 3500 RPM while cruising, perhaps 1/4 trun on the fuel screws.
This fueling setup appears to be a rarity. Anyone else using #145s with a stock bore and 49 state cams?
I want to get this machine on a dyno. Its been over ten years.

#145 mains, #42 pilot, 3 turns out and 3rd clip Factory Pro needles.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
bought a near mint "spare" rim for only $60 :dance:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stripped the forks today to give them a complete service.
With exception of the the oil which was a thick dark mess, everything inside and out is in excellent condition, but due to the bike being 18 year old I'm thinking of putting new springs in, the springs that are in at the moment are the original ones and are a bit soft so now would be a good time to do it.
anyone got any suggestions on springs for a 1998 Honda FireBlade RRW ?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
try using some of this.

LOL, as an aircraft mechanic I've been using torque stripe for 30 years, just wouldn't like looking at it on my bike. It is functional though. Maybe if I had a track bike.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Stripped the forks today to give them a complete service.
With exception of the the oil which was a thick dark mess, everything inside and out is in excellent condition, but due to the bike being 18 year old I'm thinking of putting new springs in, the springs that are in at the moment are the original ones and are a bit soft so now would be a good time to do it.
anyone got any suggestions on springs for a 1998 Honda FireBlade RRW ?

Not sure if I said this in a previous thread, but that is a beautiful bike. Love what you've done with the wheels. Btw, nice garden also.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Bought one of these....:thumb:

to replace the 1980's flowery curtain...:thumbd:

I see nothing wrong with the flowery curtain. I covered my old bike with a zebra striped sheet for years, don't even know where the sheet came from. I like the 954 so much I dropped $20 at Cycle Gear for a "proper" cover, plus it's black and silver so it matches. Yeah, I'm cheap...

81 - 100 of 674 Posts