Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knows what headers fit 1998 900rr?

I miced my 98 900rr's header flange at 1.625. (The spacer that fits into exhaust port) The other measurement would be the distance between the 4 exhaust ports. The header pipe diameter got wider but not the exhaust port dimensions (header flange and pipe spacing) did not change from 93 to 99. Is that true?

I was reading the wiki page on the cbr900 and I'm more confused. Honda CBR900RR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia According to wiki my year (98) is a 919 with many changes from the previous 97. What's hard to tell did the exhaust ports dimensions change?

If 1998 is 919 why dose the honda factory decals on my bike say 900rr?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Don't know about the exhaust, but the 929 and 954 are also classed as the CBR900rr. Model numbers and engine sizes almost never match up exactly (except for a few Ducatis etc).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sky91,

Like the Chrysler 300 it's been redesigned many times however the number is not updated.

It just seams strange not to brand the bike with the "NEW IMPROVED" model number.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Who knows what headers fit 1998 900rr?

I miced my 98 900rr's header flange at 1.625. (The spacer that fits into exhaust port) The other measurement would be the distance between the 4 exhaust ports. The header pipe diameter got wider but not the exhaust port dimensions (header flange and pipe spacing) did not change from 93 to 99. Is that true?

I was reading the wiki page on the cbr900 and I'm more confused. Honda CBR900RR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia According to wiki my year (98) is a 919 with many changes from the previous 97. What's hard to tell did the exhaust ports dimensions change?

There is no CBR919RR, Wiki is wrong. Both the SC28 and SC33 are CBR900RR's, they just have different engine capacity. '96-'99 SC33 are all the same engine (a bored SC28 engine) but the '96/'97 and '98/'99 bikes are quite different.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Sky91,

Like the Chrysler 300 it's been redesigned many times however the number is not updated.

It just seams strange not to brand the bike with the "NEW IMPROVED" model number.

Thanks,
Please don't compare Honda to Chrysler :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have original honda RRX (98/99 model maybe??) stainless headers on my RRR (94/95) blade... only issue is slight tweaking of bracket underneath bike to fit (which it does), and a change in the way the three muffler can bolts line up (same spacing, rotated slightly). I needed to change the muffler can to strap type rather then honda original can with built in bracket...... All good, and been running this set up for many years...

Another thing to note - the CBR900 all models (RRN to RRX) use the same exhaust gasket at the cylinder head..... check www.ronayers.com for details....

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have original honda RRX (98/99 model maybe??) stainless headers on my RRR (94/95) blade... only issue is slight tweaking of bracket underneath bike to fit (which it does), and a change in the way the three muffler can bolts line up (same spacing, rotated slightly). I needed to change the muffler can to strap type rather then honda original can with built in bracket...... All good, and been running this set up for many years...

Another thing to note - the CBR900 all models (RRN to RRX) use the same exhaust gasket at the cylinder head..... check www.ronayers.com for details....
:plus1:

IDK why you'd go from Stainless 98 headers to mild steel earlier headers though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My blade is a 94/95 RRR, it now has the RRX stainless headers.....

Why swap?

Easy - the mild steel headers fitted as standard by Honda to the 94/95 RRR blade rotted away (despite TLC etc etc), so I needed to replace them... and found stainless headers from an RRX at a good price.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
saxonblade,

thanks for the info. Could you post a photo of the can underside of your bike?

thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not sure what you mean, but here is a pic of the back end of the exhaust system.... you can see the mounting bracket on underside of bike, and the RRX after market muffler can....

(you can also see a VFR800 rear wheel attached to a VFR750 SSSA - but it is on a 94/95 RRR blade.....) :smilebig:

When I bought the headers from a breaker they were sold as RRX pipes.... muffler can was provided by a friend who was selling his RRX with standard can.... nice that the match up....!

The exhaust pipes underneath the bike are side by side, not stacked 2 by 2..... and no cat or exhaust valve mechanisms or sensors.

(you make me wonder now whether they are what they were sold as.... but no matter, they fit nice and do the job great!)

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saxonblade,

thanks for the pic's look like a stock part, great job!

I misunderstood, I thought you put your can under the motor. I two like the side by side not stacked. Visually I like more of a space between the bottom of the motor and the road.

I got headers off a 93 that go two into one, then thous two into one then into the can. I want to eliminate the last two into one so I have two can's right under the oil pan. Then make two tail pipes come out right under the back brake set.

The way the headers were made in 93 (with springs) I shouldn't have to welded anything. Maybe I'll have to turn some parts on the lath or buy some pipe sleeves.

I can't wait to do this then I can bob the tail.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Saxonblade,

thanks for the pic's look like a stock part, great job!

I misunderstood, I thought you put your can under the motor. I two like the side by side not stacked. Visually I like more of a space between the bottom of the motor and the road.

I got headers off a 93 that go two into one, then thous two into one then into the can. I want to eliminate the last two into one so I have two can's right under the oil pan. Then make two tail pipes come out right under the back brake set.

The way the headers were made in 93 (with springs) I shouldn't have to welded anything. Maybe I'll have to turn some parts on the lath or buy some pipe sleeves.

I can't wait to do this then I can bob the tail.

If you have '93 headers held together with springs then they're not OEM.
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1993>CBR900RR>MUFFLER

·
Registered
541 Posts
For the underslung look check out Page 68 - "Dr Stein grows furry creatures" by Sideshow Bob. :thumb:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I missed that you were going for aftermarket headers.

92-99 are all more or less the same, aftermarket parts should be the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts