Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never sent a fax via my computer before, and am wondering what program I should download, or if there's already one installed on WinXP Home, how to use it? :huh:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Can't say Speed. I have used the software that came with my Lexmark printer.

Conq or ND or someone else may be more help, but check yourr printer software.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
sheepofblue said:
Go to the start menu and select "Help and Support" type "Fax" search. XP Pro has a fax component built in. I have not used it and am not sure of home edition.
Interesting. This is from XP Home:

To install the Fax component
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Windows Components Wizard, select the Fax Services check box, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Fax after installation, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Fax Console.
For more information on using Fax, click Help in Fax Console.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Q:Can I use MightyFax with my CABLE Modem?

A: You may use CABLE or DSL for accessing the internet, but if you want to fax then you must also have a standard faxmodem and telephone line. It is quite common to use cable for internet access and also use a regular faxmodem and phone line for sending faxes. (it is also useful as an internet connection backup when cable is out).

OK, so I'll still have to be hooked up to a landline :crap: 0

Thanks everyone, guess I'll stick to the old fax machine for now.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I don't think there is any software out there that lets you fax over your cable or dsl modem. I have seen (don't know of any off hand) websites that let you send faxes without a modem to a fax machine.

Technically if you had VOIP service you might be doing that but still using a conventional fax machine or fax modem (tied to a phone jack).

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
EatnAsphalt said:
I don't think there is any software out there that lets you fax over your cable or dsl modem. I have seen (don't know of any off hand) websites that let you send faxes without a modem to a fax machine.

Technically if you had VOIP service you might be doing that but still using a conventional fax machine or fax modem (tied to a phone jack).
Been using WinFax for years...no complaints.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I'm using efax. It's free for a month, but since I'm travelling a lot right now, I'm happy to pay the fee and be able to receive faxes through my computer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts