Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Oh, Oh, I know this one!

Any clutch after you put in oil with Moly...

Just kidding.

It is a clutch that does not stay fully engaged under engine braking. It slips to minimize the effect on the chassis when downshifting going into turns. This allows the rider some leeway in downshifting. If you have one, it is not as critical to get the bike speed and engine speed matched up when downshifting and braking hard before going into a turn

It has a one-way ratchet style mechanism that allows the engine to drive the bike, but does not allow the bike to drive the engine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In a nutshell it eliminates rear wheel lock from downshifts. Sorta acts like a one way differential, kinda.

Say you're coming into a corner and grab a downshift, or two or three for that matter, and get off the clutch to fast or didn't match revs just right this slipper clutch will eliminate the impending lock up of the rear tire so you don't soil your britches, or run off the track/road.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I cannot remember where, I seen an online site with them. Not cheap. In fact so not cheap a cheap one will run like $800. You might be able to grab one for $600. They do have different grades of them, up to grade $1200 that I have seen and I'm sure there are more expensive ones.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
thebackdraft : I cannot remember where, I seen an online site with them.  Not cheap.  In fact so not cheap a cheap one will run like $800.  You might be able to grab one for $600.  They do have different grades of them, up to grade $1200 that I have seen and I'm sure there are more expensive ones.
Um, the one I saw at erion racing was $8000!

·
Registered
497 Posts
ccwilli3 : Um, the one I saw at erion racing was $8000!
Holy Batman! Now that is one pricey little gadget right there. But sounds on par for Erion Racing, hell don't their rearsets run like $1000?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Heavy-Dee : I'm heard it talked about and I just don't know what it is.  Sorry.
To directly answer the question, It is a sprag clutch that connects the clutch to the shaft. It holds in one direction and free spins in the other. A very simplistic mechanism. The only thing about it that's special is it's astronomically ridiculous price.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
They also have different slopes on the cones the govern the break-point.

Those I know that have used them have taken them off, not really fun for street use, but it could have just been the brand or clone-angle.

They had LOTS of them for sale at Seca, few were above the $1200 mark, most in the $800's and that was for Italian bikes.

Example ($849.00 price)

Edit: This seemed like a decent description:
Quote Yoyodyne

These slipper clutches take the worry out of downshifting a high compression v twin Ducati.

The clutch compensates for over enging braking thereby preventing wheel hop entering the turn. the clutch pressure plate now features a ceramic coating on the wear surface to improve clutch life.

The pressure plate is red, and has a lazer engraved yoyodyne logo.The Clutch basket is hard anodised for long life. The 45 degree disengagement ramp is favored for its lack of abuse on clutch plates. The clutch pack lasts longer with this design than clutches with shallower ramps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my 2011 CBR1000RR has one. Not too sure about it yet. I'm still used to backing my CB1000 into a sharp corner just by dropping a couple gears while feathering the front and rear brakes. Been riding that bike for about 10yrs,....seems this "slipper clutch" doesn't slow me down as fast as one would think. I find myself downshifting (usually) one more gear than normal. Guess I'll just have to get used to it huh??

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I read there "Not fun for street use" Personally... I dont notice my R6 has it.

It only works so well, but its better then completely locking up the rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts