Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cant really find an answer, keep getting different answers. I got divorced aug of last year. What do i claim for my taxes this year: single, head of household etc.? just wondering if there is any repercusions being married for half a year when it comes to paying taxes. I hope someone understands what i am trying to say. I got my w2s yesterday so i want to file asap so i can get that money put away for a house. thanks guys:thumb:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Go to a tax prep person who knows. It is different depending on whether you have kids, house, shared income, etc.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Claim whatever you think is fair. The IRS later this year will feel free to claim the dispute plus penalties. This will result in an exchange of documentation and requests for more until everything is resolved.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
cant really find an answer, keep getting different answers. I got divorced aug of last year. What do i claim for my taxes this year: single, head of household etc.? just wondering if there is any repercusions being married for half a year when it comes to paying taxes. I hope someone understands what i am trying to say. I got my w2s yesterday so i want to file asap so i can get that money put away for a house. thanks guys:thumb:
There are definite issues here. Call your divorce lawyer and ask for a tax lawyer referral. Referrals cost you nothing; and because alimony, child support, front-loaded property settlements, etc. all have serious tax consequences, for you and your former spouse, it is imperative you see a professional...Not a seasonal person at Jackson Hewitt or H&R Block.

The general rule is: whichever status you qualify for that provides you with the best tax position -paying the least tax, either married or single, is the status to use. You probably qualify for either married or single. Generally, the single rate is better because of the supposed marriage penalty, but not always, especially if you have had to use the alternative minimum tax in the past. The rules are in the Internal Revenue Code of 1984, available at IRS dot GOV, but they read like poorly translated chinese instructions for assembling a 10,000 piece 3D puzzle of swamp muck.

Call a lawyer.
You can usually get a $20.00 15-30min phone consult through your state bar association. You pay the association with a cc, and then get a phone number for a tax attorney who will answer your basic questions. If you think hard about the questions you want to ask, this might be all the help you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HCCAFan is right. It depends solely on your status as of the last day of the year. If you get married in July, you'll file as married. Divorced in November? File as single. I called the IRS hotline last year to find out (got married in August). Plus there is a divorce in my past, too.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Well, you are right and wrong...I reviewed the revenue rulings, and although it is easier to just file as single and compute it that way, depending on the types of income you have, any trusts, multiple properties in various states, title held by several persons, any property still jointly owned, etc. changes the math. That is to what I referred with probably...Some income and deductions will be taxed at a single rate, others will be qualified for as having been a spouse --so taxed at a de facto married rate. The simple answer, for very simple situations is: single. That does not deal with all the permutations of the tax consequences of a divorced individual. However, as most people never really deal with their taxes to their greatest benefit (the IRS has Millions of dollars of unclaimed deductions every year) I would encourage you to see a tax LAWYER, given the complexity of divorce.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
hopefully the 1040 status will lead to a 1098:thumb:

when I went into my marriage it was with the understanding that "its cheaper to keep em"

good luck

-jh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts