Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Interesting responses... The manual says 36 psi front and 42 psi rear for both the oem B-stone 012's and the Michelin Pilot Sports..

Why would the Metzeler be different? I had a set of M1's on the 954 that seemed to work just great for the street at 34 to 36 F, 40-42 rear.

I'm NOT trying to start somethin'.... and I just put a set of Diablo Corsas on the 954 yesterday for limited street and mostly track use. I've got those set for 36/42 {and I need to put some tape on the tank to remind myself that they're new..} on the track I do whatever Trackoholic or Abtech recommends..

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I thought the pressures quoted in the manual were the ones to use if you had a passenger or lots of luggage? Aren't those the maximum allowable pressures for tires? I generally run 34/36 or 33/35 on the street, and 31/30 or 31/31 or 32/32 on the track. I've used these pressures with BT010s, Dunlop207ZR, Metzeler Sportecs, and Diablo Corsas.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
I thought the pressures quoted in the manual were the ones to use if you had a passenger or lots of luggage? Aren't those the maximum allowable pressures for tires? I generally run 34/36 or 33/35 on the street, and 31/30 or 31/31 or 32/32 on the track. I've used these pressures with BT010s, Dunlop207ZR, Metzeler Sportecs, and Diablo Corsas.

HGToo, for the 954 it says:

Cold tire pressure: (front) Up to 90kg (200 lb) load - 36psi
Up to maximum weight capacity 160Kg (353 lb) - 36 psi

It lists the same pressure (42 psi ) for the rear under both 200 lb and max 353 lb load.

I weigh a bit less than that, but what are the other attendent benefits and risks of running less pressure on the street?

(I know I'm running a risk of starting a fight here - a couple of guys on the vfrlist were about to kill each other over this issue and one guy insisted everything ran better at 46 psi......)

So please be clear that I'm not espousing a position. My daddy taught me; when in doubt, RTFM. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Hey, CBRVFR! I haven't read over what the manual recommends in a long time, so I believe what you say. I personally run a bit lower pressures on the street (but not nearly as low as on the track) for the same reason pressures are lower on the track: better grip. I just feel more secure that way when riding the twisties. I don't run really low track pressures because hitting a pothole will cause a bent rim if track pressures are used on the street. If it's raining, I'd likely bump them up more, on track and street, to ensure that the rain grooves stay open and do their job. I just go off recommendations from riders I trust, who's advice I got quite a long time ago. So, it's just kinda ingrained to run the pressures that I do.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
the manual is way off, its a liability thing for the dude that runs 165 with his 225 lb ass riding two up with his 200lb GF...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
It's okay for weekend warriors to run lower than normal pressures. The extra wear on the tires doesn't add up to much, because they are only going to need 1-2 sets a year anyway. Plus it's good mental masturbation...makes them feel racy..... :smilebig:

Sport touring riders routinely run 36/42 or even HIGHER pressures...better tire life and resistance to hydroplaning....

Tire pressure...like tire choice, all depends on how you are going to use the bike.....

Ymmv....flame away... :smilebig:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Does anyone take there weight into account? I weight 190-200lbs without gear and usually run 34/36 in my michelin pilot sports, I find that if i go much below 32/33 the bike feels really vague (poor feedback) and walks around a lot on the tyres!

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's always a tradeoff. Manual pressures are liability pressures.

Good street pressures for a single rider are in the 33-36 range. The 36-42 range would be more suitable for two up or touring. Track pressure 29-30 except Corsas.

The tradeoff is fairly simple. Higher pressure equals better tire wear and better "handling", the bike turns real easy with higher pressure. The tradeoff comes because the contact patch is smaller and there is less sidewall flex, so the traction is limited both by less contact and a compound that stays cold. Thus 30 on the track and much higher on the street. I used to run 32 on the street, but I run higher now. Among other things, you can not go fast on the street ( not like on the track) and I have bent a rim on a pothole at 30 psi.

ernie

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Ernie said:
Track pressure 29-30 except Corsas.

OK, I'll ask.. what about Corsas? I assume you mean SuperCorsa race compound..

I appreciate the input, everybody.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
CBRVFR said:
OK, I'll ask.. what about Corsas? I assume you mean SuperCorsa race compound..

I appreciate the input, everybody.
I was told by 3 different pirelli guys on 3 seperate occasions that 32 f and 36 r was what diablo/diablo corsa tires liked for the best performance. Street or track.

I used a set of sportecs at VIR and Jennings last year at this pressure and had the tires last 3.5 days of HARD riding on a RC51.

So far this year I have 3 days on a set of diablo corsa tires at this pressure and will get at least 2 more out of them. They are weird tires, they grip almost like a race tire but seem to wear like a street tire. Heat cycles seem to not matter.

The Supercorsa tire however likes 36psi HOT. Thats why they seem to recommend around 30ish for cold pressures. And when the temperature drops at a trackday with supercorsa tires, don't lower your pressure, raise it... They are unlike michelin and dunlop tires in many ways, that being the oddest way IMHO.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
I was told by 3 different pirelli guys on 3 seperate occasions that 32 f and 36 r was what diablo/diablo corsa tires liked for the best performance. Street or track.

This is weird...every manufacturer rep out here (dunslop, mich, pirelli(track an Pirelli email direct)) recommends a higher front pressure than the rear.....why's your pirelli guy have it switched? Anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
RRWANTR said:
This is weird...every manufacturer rep out here (dunslop, mich, pirelli(track an Pirelli email direct)) recommends a higher front pressure than the rear.....why's your pirelli guy have it switched? Anyone know the answer?
Dunno... I have asked at bike shows, at Race weekends and online and have gotten the same 32/36...

edit: I am talking about diablo corsas and its brother the diablo and sportec.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Baketech said:
It's okay for weekend warriors to run lower than normal pressures. The extra wear on the tires doesn't add up to much, because they are only going to need 1-2 sets a year anyway. Plus it's good mental masturbation...makes them feel racy..... :smilebig:

Sport touring riders routinely run 36/42 or even HIGHER pressures...better tire life and resistance to hydroplaning....

Tire pressure...like tire choice, all depends on how you are going to use the bike.....

Ymmv....flame away... :smilebig:
Yep... That has been my philosophy. I run 36/42 in the 'Bird while touring and have run less when riding in the mountians on the Blade.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Ernie said:
It's always a tradeoff. Manual pressures are liability pressures.

Good street pressures for a single rider are in the 33-36 range. The 36-42 range would be more suitable for two up or touring. Track pressure 29-30 except Corsas.

ernie
I'd be interested to know if you run 33/36 on the 800 and why.... :idunno:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts