Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
A friend gave up on the 08 Kawi Concours C14, to go back in time 8 years before and paid $4200 for a 2000 ST1100 with 40,000 miles on it. What the heck is that all about? I started checking out the market and they all seem to be $1000-2000 more than any other bike out there in it's size. Why?
Did I miss something?
It's only got a 8000 rpm redline, very dated 80s looking seat and tupperware plastic all over, like if you wrecked, they'd be cleaning up plastic for hours!
I sat on his and I felt I was leaning forward too much. Anyway, don't want to lose anyone with too many details,
what it the claim to fame on this bike, and why such a price tag for mediocre performance? I have a comparable 05 Concours 1000cc that was only $3400, less miles, 5 years newer, fits bigger riders, but are about $2000-2500 if I wanted a 2000 model year. They too go 100,000 miles, so I don't want to hear how one bike can go further than another. Sport-Touring bikes all go pretty damn far. When did Honda become BMW priced?
All Japanese bikes are capable of 100,000 miles with no trouble at all.
Down here ST's are everywhere simply because they're cheap ex-Police bikes. I don't think too many go looking for an ST because of anything it offers. They buy them here because they're cheap and there's enough of them around that spares are usually easy to find. According to the dealer book the ST1100 and GTR1000 of similar years sell for around the same price, but the Kwaka was several thousand dollars cheaper when new so they actually hold their value much better than the Honda. Those are for civilian versions, ex-Police bikes are even cheaper.
I would think the GTR1000 is a much better bike, though neither are my kind of thing. I replaced a water pump on my mate's ST1100 and the job was a nightmare start to finish. What a pig of a design.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got to ride the ST1100 today. What a little man's cycle. If you're taller than a woman, you just can't seriously choose to ride this bike at any price. It felt kind of scooterish. Nimble, cute little engine, windscreen is useless, stopping was a joke, and did I mention it was tiny and scooterish?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I got to ride the ST1100 today. What a little man's cycle. If you're taller than a woman, you just can't seriously choose to ride this bike at any price. It felt kind of scooterish. Nimble, cute little engine, windscreen is useless, stopping was a joke, and did I mention it was tiny and scooterish?

An ST is nimble?
Maybe compared to an eighteen-wheeler :)

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's better than that, but not by much. It would help explain why police want them, to run around parking lots with orange cones and win more free doughnuts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If i may, I rode my Pan european for nearly five years and loved every minute of it.. I am 5'11" and although it is a heavy bike i found it is good in traffic, very quick, i had the oppurtunity to keep up with two Yamaha R1's on twisties, try what they wanted they could not leave me behind apart from straight line balls to the wall acceleration.. I could easy scrap my toes of my boots on the road, there no chicken strips on my tyres ever.. So unless youre 6'6" tall, and weigh in at over 400lbs then its a good bike.. In five years i clocked 30 000 miles with never a missed beat..
I evetually sold it as the corrosion here in the UK killed the swingarm totally other than that the engien was good and pulled like a train..
However if you are comparing oranges with apples ie a fireblade and a pan european then there is very little comparison and equally a V65 is a completely different animal too.. Oh and the build quality is good too, yes its got a load of plastics on it but lets be honest what bike doesn't these days.. If you know what to remove in what order then maintenance is pretty easy.. Its all about your knowledge of you bike that you choose to ride..

If Honda Made another St1100 i would have it over anything else any day.. However i would not touch the ST1300 with a barge pole.. its just not the same anymore.. And as for the cult following.. ask all the ST1100 owners why they like it.. of course there is also the Honda Goldwing... i am on a site that has 43 000 plus members...now thats a cult following ..

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
As most coppers in the UK ride ST's I think V65 has spelt cult incorrectly! :rotfl:
Switched the BMW's now, after one (new) officer got himself into a speed wobble, didn't know how to handle it, and came off. Ended up underneath a lorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
do you know the Jeep add
you know the one " it's a Jeep thing"

it infers that Jeep owners ARE supperior to all other 4wd vehicles
it also means if someone needs to explain it to you THEN YOU DONT UNDERSTAND

and so it is the same for the ST1100,
my 1st bike has 162000 K's 1999 ABS CBS TCS honda 50th Anniversary GOLD
number 2 bike has 139000 K's 1996 no braking electronics Black

if we have to explain to you why we love them
then you WILL never understand

it's a JEEP thing

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
do you know the Jeep add
you know the one " it's a Jeep thing"

it also means if someone needs to explain it to you THEN YOU DONT UNDERSTAND

and so it is the same for the ST1100,
my 1st bike has 162000 K's 1999 ABS CBS TCS honda 50th Anniversary GOLD
number 2 bike has 139000 K's 1996 no braking electronics Black

if we have to explain to you why we love them
then you WILL never understand

it's a JEEP thing

What other bikes have you owned?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
it's an ST you wont understand

It's an ST, perhaps we don't want to understand ;-)
If you ride in a way that suits the ST then it probably is great for that. Most of us don't though and would feel like we were riding a wheelchair instead of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
d
:idunno:

Jeeps themselves, or their owners? Because I've tried sitting on Jeep owner's shoulders going over rough terrain, and it definitely wasn't better than sitting in a Range Rover going over the same terrain.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Then join a jeep forum. :D
Some of us have Jeeps too, :twofing:

:idunno:

Jeeps themselves, or their owners? Because I've tried sitting on Jeep owner's shoulders going over rough terrain, and it definitely wasn't better than sitting in a Range Rover going over the same terrain.
Yes, we are superior, :bowtome:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
It could've been worse, it could've been a Pacific Coast!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If i may, I rode my Pan european for nearly five years and loved every minute of it.. I am 5'11" and although it is a heavy bike i found it is good in traffic, very quick, i had the oppurtunity to keep up with two Yamaha R1's on twisties, try what they wanted they could not leave me behind apart from straight line balls to the wall acceleration.. I could easy scrap my toes of my boots on the road, there no chicken strips on my tyres ever.. So unless youre 6'6" tall, and weigh in at over 400lbs then its a good bike.. In five years i clocked 30 000 miles with never a missed beat..
I evetually sold it as the corrosion here in the UK killed the swingarm totally other than that the engien was good and pulled like a train..
However if you are comparing oranges with apples ie a fireblade and a pan european then there is very little comparison and equally a V65 is a completely different animal too.. Oh and the build quality is good too, yes its got a load of plastics on it but lets be honest what bike doesn't these days.. If you know what to remove in what order then maintenance is pretty easy.. Its all about your knowledge of you bike that you choose to ride..

If Honda Made another St1100 i would have it over anything else any day.. However i would not touch the ST1300 with a barge pole.. its just not the same anymore.. And as for the cult following.. ask all the ST1100 owners why they like it.. of course there is also the Honda Goldwing... i am on a site that has 43 000 plus members...now thats a cult following ..
Agree with everything here. I'm on my third ST. In the past I used it to teach high-speed pursuit riding and advanced riding. I saw all the GP wannabee boys with their multicolours leathers and knee sliders come, with their chests puffed up and snide looks at the ST...and they all went away with their tails between their legs. :rotfl:

The ST handles superbly....if you know how to ride 'em! :thumb:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Agree with everything here. I'm on my third ST. In the past I used it to teach high-speed pursuit riding and advanced riding. I saw all the GP wannabee boys with their multicolours leathers and knee sliders come, with their chests puffed up and snide looks at the ST...and they all went away with their tails between their legs. :rotfl:

The ST handles superbly....if you know how to ride 'em! :thumb:
:eek:

I'm so terribly sorry for you. :poke:

·
Registered
328 Posts
If Sts handle so superbly when ridden correctly why are there none on the track racing?

1 - 20 of 265 Posts