Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since this is on the Honda Fireblade forum, I would assume that we all have, had, or will have a Honda CBR (fireblade) I was just curious as to the reasons why other people went with the CBR over other bikes, like a GSXR, ZZR or Yammie R1?

Me? I am a Honda whore. I don't care if another bike claims to go faster, handle better, or do faster lap times. I like Honda. I like Honda's engineering. I like Honda's ergonomics. I like Honda's build quality. I really don't come anywhere near close to using the full capabilities of my cbr1krr6, so getting a bike with more HP, or torque or whatever, really won't make much of a difference to me. A Honda product, I can trust and, apparently since the used resale value of Honda (bike or car) is generally higher than other brands, I think the general public believes that too.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
They changed the Superbike class from 601-750cc to 800-1000cc for the '04 season so I had to replace my GSXR750.
I wanted a GSXR1000 but couldn't find one and the 929 came up at a crazy price so I grabbed it.
I haven't seen any difference in build quality or resale value with Honda over the other Jap manufacturers.
One thing about Honda that does annoy me is their propensity to put pointless gadgetry on their bikes that eventually fails.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Got the 929 in '00 when it came out and sold it at the end of the year to buy a truck for racing, I only raced Suzuki's but loved the 929 for a street bike. After not having a street bike for a while in '02 I decided I was going to get the R1, since I have been good friends with the local Honda dealer for many years they said they would give me a 954 for a retarded price and I coudn't say no. I hear you Blade, Hondas always has so much extra crap on them, Suzuki's were so much easier. But don't get me wrong people I love my 954, and really love my crf450, Honda makes great stuff.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 08 Blade is my first Honda....

in the past I've owned : 97 GSXR750, 99 and 2001 hayabusa, 2001 GSXR75O, 2001 Ducati 996S, '93 Ducati 900 monster, TL1000R, 2001 R6 and 2000 SV650 before the New fireblade.

All but the 97 gsxr and monster were bought new... I loved something about everyone of them but they all another thing in common aswell: Hype that they didn't live up to in my mind.

I can buy (for the most part) any new bike that I want and therefore rode every comparible bike available before I commited to the 08 Blade.

With an open mind, after the new 09 R1 was available I rode it aswell and can honestly say for me, my bike is the ultimate in does what it promises superbike. Yes, I've modded it extensively but in truth, in stock form its a better bike than I'll ever be able to extract the most out of.

I'm so smitten with it, that I've located a 1500 mile, one owner 2008 blade that I plan on adding to the garage next week as a 3rd bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Reason I went with Honda CBR1000RR was it was BRAND new and $6983.00 with Lifetime Engine Warranty!

No offense, but if you're the kind of person who buys a new top of the line 1000cc sportbike becuase its the cheapest, then we probably won't see eye to eye on very many things....

By that rationale, its wise to move into an upscale gated community so long as you buy the cheapest home in the division just so can say you belong?

:huh:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Reason I went with Honda CBR1000RR was it was BRAND new and $6983.00 with Lifetime Engine Warranty!
Sounds like you don't have much faith in their ability to build an engine that'll last a while :)

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
:hmm:... I have always had no real preferance for brand....

but in my youth I always kept away from honda... in the 80s they were boring*......
It wasn't till they brought out the blade that I started to pay them any attention.... then they produced the Urban Tiger colour scheme.... and I fell in love with it....

SAD. I know... but I go for looks.....
I figure all bikes have there good and bad points.. & whoever you ask nearly always says there bikes/manufacturer/model is the best...:idunno:

*the only thing people ever recomended them for was there reliabilitie and as my mates who had them had as many breakdowns as I did, I thought this was a crock!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
When I got in to bikes the Fireblade had just been launched so I've always liked them. So it was already a consideration when I decided I wanted a sports bike.

I had a Kawasaki as my 1st bike and was not impressed. So that ruled out the ZX-9R. The older Fireblades are pretty cheap over here, pretty much the best package available for the price I paid - £2250, 2 1/2 years ago, or about £1000 less than an R1 of the same year.

I also bought an old VFR as a winter hack, 37k miles and 21 years old and it was in much better condition than a Yamaha TDM I tried to resurrect which was 5 years newer and 5000 fewer miles. I also had a Suzuki GS500 once, which was about 7 years newer than the VFR and half the miles and it was a complete wreck with a frame made out of rust. So I believe there is (or was?) something in the build quality reputation of Honda. It might not be as noticable in warmer climates though, especially if they don't cover the roads in salt for half of the year!!!

As for useless gadgets - my bikes have none, they're pretty basic - but IMHO all of the manufacturers are doing it now to try and differentiate their products - e.g. Suzuki's mode switch on the newer GSXR's has been regarded by the biking press as pretty pointless (never tried it myself mind you, & I don't take the word of the press for granted!)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
SAD. I know... but I go for looks.....
Looks are important to me too, it's one of the things that put me off getting a Fazer 1000. It looks so dull that just the thought of it makes me drowsy.... for me part of a bike is that it looks fun and exciting and makes you wanna ride it.

That said the VFR appeals in a different way - it looks pretty dull but because it's so old it becomes interesting (for me anyway) - it's just different to what you see normally.

With Penny Farthing suspension and comedy tyres, riding it gives a sense of achievement on roads that the Blade just destroys.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Looks are important to me too, it's one of the things that put me off getting a Fazer 1000. It looks so dull that just the thought of it makes me drowsy.... for me part of a bike is that it looks fun and exciting and makes you wanna ride it.
:plus1: ....... yeah..... I've been put off some really good bikes because i don't like summut about the looks
With Penny Farthing suspension and comedy tyres, riding it gives a sense of achievement on roads that the Blade just destroys.
:hmm:.... you make a good point there........

I sumtimes feel blades (and the like) make things to easy.. not that i don't like it:D

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
I bought a Honda. After years ownning Suzuki's. I went out one day with the intention of buying a Ducati. The price was affordable for me at $45,000.00 US smackers for a 1098sp.
I went to a Honda dealership first, knowing I had the money for a Ducati, was certian I would end up with one, (Ducati), before the day was over.:cool:
While I was walking into the Honda shop, I saw through the window, my bike. Black/Gray, kinda snub nosed look, two head lights that make it look a little shark like. Sweety palms and magnetizm beyond my control. Couldn't leave when I saw that thing. Forgot all about the Ducati. Payed far less, now I have a smile. I didn't really hear anything the sales man was saying. Sir! stop humping my leg! Right about then, I'll buy it....:rotfl:
I like the look. At my age, and experience, I realized that I would end up buying the enjoyment, (so to speak), and performance, along with relability as good as any other bike. I dont race on the street, (much:D ).
It was the look. Something different, yet the same. I should have bought two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
my first bike was an f4 i bought used from a friend without having been exposed to all the brand vs. brand crap. like any newbie, my impression was probably more along the lines of "oh, everyone has suzuki's - they must be the $#!*." and truthfully, at the time i thought suzuki had the best styling. i quickly came to love and appreciate my honda, and knew i'd eventually upgrade to another honda. when the '08 came out and everyone either hated or loved the new design, that's when i knew what my next bike would be.

as someone said earlier in the thread, i'll never push a bike to the limit of it's capabilities, so they're all capable of the same thing for me. i'm more interested in the touring side of riding, but i LOVE cracking the throttle, leaning through a twistie, and staring at her in the driveway - good enough for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Resurrecting another old thread cuz I think it's interesting.

My first street bike was a new 1989 Suzuki GS500E. I'd moved up to a Katana 600 with a built 750 in it when the 900RR was released in '92. I immediately fell in love with the thing, particularly with the red, white & blue paint scheme, but the price was beyond my limited means. I had (and still have) the 1992 Motorcyclist magazine Bike of the Year centerfold shot of the red, silver & black one on the wall in the garage.

Nearly a decade later, in 2001, after my motorcycle path had put me on a mint condition '78 KZ650 for a few years, I decided that I wanted another sport bike. At the point, I had the means to get something a little more costly than I did when I was 18.

I was initially looking at Yamaha R1's, but then, while getting some tools outta the back garage I saw the pic of the 900RR and was reminded that THIS was the bike I'd dreamed of as a new rider. When I picture "motorcycle" in my head, I see a sportbike with dual round headlights. In my eyes, the red, white, & blue '93 has been the best looking motorcycle ever produced since the first time I saw it, with the red, white & black '94 being a close second. I'm not a big fan of the modern harsh angular bug-looking slanty light bikes. I realized that there wasn't any need for the slight performance increase I'd get outta a newer bike, particularly if I had to take ugly aesthetics along with it. I'd spent time on a track in the early 90's and knew that even a decade old open class bike would have more performance than I'd ever use on the street. Plus, all the reviews and comments from owners I'd ever heard talked about the "raw" & "unrestrained" feel of the bike, which is the complete opposite of what sportbikes had become. Even by 2001 bikes had become so antiseptic. Sure, they're fast as hell with razor sharp handeling, but they've got no "soul" any more. So I immediately started looking for '93 - '94 900RR's.

After a few aborted starts (including being about 6 hours from heading out on a cross-country drive with my truck & trailer to look at what seemed to be a sure thing in Florida - dude sold it out from under me. At least he let me know before I left.) I ran across an ad in the classifieds of a Chicago paper (remember those anyone?) for a '93 nearby with a decent listed price. Maybe a little high, but not bad.

Turned out to be a good price, considering that the bike only had about 12,000 miles and about $8,000 worth of carefully researched and applied tuning mods. And on top of that, it was red, white & blue. My first choice! The bike was spotless. Its owner was a scientist at Fermilab. The bike came with a journal that included detailed notes and research on every single thing he did to the bike, and complete records down to the receipts for the oil & filter every time he changed them.

Unfortunately, it was stolen a few years later by a professional ring. I couldn't bring myself to replace it until just recently.

I again briefly thought about something more modern but then realized that I'd still never seen anything that stirred my heart like the original RR, so I started looking for another '93 - '94. I initially thought that I would have to have another red, white & blue one, but then decided that my 2nd one should have my 2nd favorite paint scheme so was really hoping for a red, white & black '94 to turn up. Due to the fact that these things are getting on 20 years old now though, I was resigned to the fact that I might have to go with another original scheme or someone's repaint and then have it repainted to the colors I wanted. I was also expecting to have to travel a ways to get what I wanted at a price I was happy with.

Luckily, just like the first time, one turned up relatively close to home and it was the paint scheme I wanted. Unlike my 1st one, this one had a few cosmetic issues, but seemed mechanically very sound and looked pretty damn good from 10 feet.

So, I'm a happy first generation CBR900RR owner once again. And until someone makes another dual-round headlight sportbike with speed holes in the fairings, I'm likely to remain so. :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
For me it was the ultimate sports bike when I last had a bike back in 96, then my brother inlaw bought a brand new orange/grey rrw back in 98 and let me have a quick ride and I was in love..

When I decided to get a bike beginning of the year this was my first choice, I looked at a couple of the newer versions but as im quite a big guy I preferred the size of the 98 bike as its a physically big bike with a very wide tank and fairings it suits my size better. Also now im almost 40 I wanted something with a reasonable riding position which the blade does compared to the R1. And of course price comes in to play as £2000 - 2500 will buy you a nice RRW.

Plus I had seen many bikes with 50 – 70k still running like new so knew the reliability was there.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I too am a Honda Whore I guess. I have owned 2 motorcycles that were not Hondas. The first was my Dad's '52 Duoglide, I hated riding that thing. Rigid frame, springer front end, left foot clutch, shifter on the side of the tank, Beachcomber bars 36 inches wide and the "ejector" seat. the second was an 83 Yamaha Midnight 920vx Virago. Nice bike but design flaws that were unbearable. The thing had a side airbox and the intake came up under the seat. Not an issue, unless the intake is made of rubber. Also, not a problem til you start making the engine pull air and the intake collapses and the engine starts gasping for breath at like 85 mph. I stuck a piece of rolled up chick wire in the intake to make it hold it's shape, problem solved. Also, Viragos are known for their starter issues. Bought a Honda and been riding them since. Besides "you meet the nicest people on a Honda".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts