Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed my 929 is picky about shifting from 1st to 2nd, if i dont shift super fast without letting the rpm drop hardly at all i wont get a smooth shift, or it will hit neutral and ill have to re shift to 2nd. if i shift about 6k or above its smooth but under 6k or so it has to be shifted super fast to have a clean shift. this is for normal street riding ,

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Anywhere from 4k to 11k, depending on the situation.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Lol I saw this and thought to myself, "Anywhere below redline and at least 2k above idle?" Sounds like it prefers load. How well does it make changes with clutchless shifting?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it does prefer load thats a better way to put it, if im just holding the throttle enough to keep the bike moving i have to shift super fast. if im on the throttle about half way or more it shifts alot smoother when i blip it . it shifts ok clutchless but i dont wanna keep doing that

·
Registered
927 Posts
So when you do your standard clutched shifts you still have some twist in the throttle? Even if you back off a little bit, the engine will climb in RPM once the load is let off. Proof is- what happens when you're on the highway and you just grab the clutch with no throttle adjustment? Your Rpm goes up. I suggest letting out more throttle for your clutched shifts and rising to match the speed. If you want the perfect shifts, keep up on clutchless and maybe consider getting a quickshift. They are pretty wonderful :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so your saying to let off the throttle fully when shifting ? if i do that it will lose alot of rpm. i usually just let off a hair then shift

·
Registered
927 Posts
You need like 3 hairs ;) is this your first sportbike? I had a friend go from a 250 to a cbr600 and he thought something might be wrong with the transmission because it wasn't half as leanient as the 250. He cleaned up his shifting and no problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol no but i came from about 5 gsxr 750s before this cbr and they shift a heck of alot different than the gsxrs did.. its prob just me but i like the way suzuki shifts alot better.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
lol no but i came from about 5 gsxr 750s before this cbr and they shift a heck of alot different than the gsxrs did.. its prob just me but i like the way suzuki shifts alot better.
There's your problem. You're supposed to have 6 before downgrading to a Honda litrebike ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha. well i went out and bought a pair of boots , problem solved, i think the soft shoes i was wearing all along were causing the shifter not to move well enough.. i didnt have any problem shifting the whole ride home at any rpm. of course it will still clunk a bit if you shift to 2nd at too low rpm but other wise i think bike is normal, and as far as downgrade i dunno lol. my 04 gsxr 750 was very comparable to the 929 power wise. i think id even give the gsxr the edge on high end power and looks but i do like the 929 too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts