Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just got my honad cbr400 nc23 on the road today, all insured, one thing i noticed with it was that the tempature guage doesnt go past the cold (blue) part of the guage ?

is this normal, or is the guage faulty, or dodgy thermo, or switch ? :confused:

thanks

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
I shouldn't worry.. I only ever see my temperature gauge go up when I'm sat in traffic on a hot summers day.. The rest of the time it barely moves..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it doesnt even get into the blue area atall, it moves up to the C when ignition is turned on and doesnt move atall after that not even into the white or blue. where does your needle usually sit loopy?

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
well it doesnt even get into the blue area atall, it moves up to the C when ignition is turned on and doesnt move atall after that not even into the white or blue. where does your needle usually sit loopy?
I can't remember off the top of my head, I know it only moves a tiny bit when I start her up at the moment, but seeing as it's cold out there she will stay cooler easier.. I'll have to take a look tomorrow..

Your temperature gauge sender could be up the shoot, but then again it's fecking cold outside at the moment and I've not noticed anything odd about my bike...... Apart from the fact that she runs like she is on steroids when its chilly and damp :evilaugh:..

If you don't already have a manual for your bike I'd suggest you buy one.. I've had a look at the section about testing the sender and it's not the easiest thing in the world to do without the accompanying photos in the manual..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i think i will buy a haynes manual.

but it just has plain water in the water tank atm for some reason:confused: so could suggest that the thermostat has been removed ? as it doesnt even move a fracftion from turning it on and doing 100 miles :S

just dont wanna do damage to her

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would say the stat has been removed, taking that long to warm up, defo put anti freeze in as winter coming plus it helps to keep engine cool in summer.Simple test to check how much anti freeze you have in tank, dip finger in and touch it with the end of your tongue, the sweeter it is the stronger the mix. remember this is only a guide...

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Nasher, the temperature sensor wire connects to the sensor underneath the fuel pump. These can get dirty or pulled off easily when working in that area. If you give the contact a good clean up you should find things improve.

That said, my NC29 only started to move beyond the first quarter of the dial when stopped in traffic in 30 degrees of heat. They would appear to run quite cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts