Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no brothers with bikes, and no history of them in my family. I had overprotective parents, and as a result was not allowed to even have a bicycle until I was 15. Once I got that, though, I was on it all the time, and on many weekends I would knock up trips of 100-plus mile round trips on a Sunday. I guess it was only natural that my interest would veer towards motorcycles, and soon spent time riding to country 'scrambles' (now Moto X) and leaving my dribble adorning bike shop windows.

After I had been working a short time, I purchased my CB175 when I was 18.

I must add that I was surprised my parents accepted my decision, and my father even helped by going guarantor on my finance agreement. I later learnt that my father's father was killed in a bicycle accident in 1951, hence the reluctance to allow me my own bicycle in my early years.

My interest grew over the years and has been covered in previous posts.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Do you remember the "Scrambling" we used to get on a Sunday afternoon on the TV, I always wanted to be like Arthur Lampkin , he was a hero of mine way back when, that started the desire for 2 (and 4) wheels

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nup. I was probably watching the wrestling. Do you know if he's in the Dougie Lampkin family tree?

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Quite a write up here for the Lampkin family tree

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great photo nigel! I started out riding on the homemade mini bikes some of my friends had. The ones where you could get the chassis and put a Briggs&Stratton or Tecumseh engine with centrifugal clutch in it. I bought my first bike at 14 or 15 with money I made from a summer job. It was a well-worn 1975 Honda XR75 I bought from one of the older kids in the neighborhood (I think I paid $125 if I remember correctly). Some of my friends had bikes as well and we would spend summer days blasting around the neighborhoods on them. Wonderful times!
My first street bike was a 1981 Honda Twinstar CM200. I was a big Honda fan since the early American Honda days of Freddie Spencer and Mike Baldwin.
I don’t have any photos from those days, the earliest I can find is this from 1987 with my shiny new FZR1000. Another absolutely wonderful machine.
Thanks for the memories, love this thread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
People would kill for FZRs now!!

I've never had a Yamaha. Had a Kawasaki 250 single as a runabout for a short time before it self-liquidated:D in a divorce settlement. (And we think self isolation is tough!!) Also had an aprilia RSV1000 for a short time before selling it for a mint one-owner 954, which you might have seen, but I am not shy to pop it in again!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Saw Robert Fuller in "A Hard Ride" when I was 13. Started reading STREET CHOPPER the next day. No friends with bikes till a co-worker with Hondas when I was 21. He taught me to ride and helped me get a bike license. His CB 750 sparked some interest in Japaneses bikes but my main interest was in HD. Four years later I was building a chopped Shovelhead. Eleven years after that (1994) the advanced state of sport bikes bit me like Fuller's chopper had 14 years earlier. Within three years had picked up six sport bikes of various makes and sizes.

Here's moving day in the 80's leaving Chicago with just the chopper and then the last move's partial stable being unloaded on moving day almost 20 years ago.
movesmall.jpg moveing1.jpg

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well, I was brought up in Somerset, and the comprehensive school was 8 miles from my home, and my best mates lived the opposite side of the catchment area, another 7 mile, so 14 mile cycle trip to see my friends on a push bike. Dad was always to busy to drive us anywhere, and there were no busses (you've had had to go to Bristol and then back out on another route taking 2-3 hours!

My older brother (5-years older) and some of his mates had various bikes, CB250 with chopper bars, CB125 with a 185 engine in the frame and silly clip-ons as low as you like - felt like you were doing 200mph! Old Triumphs, Honda 400/4 and the like. I thought they were cool!

My dad had bikes before he had kids, and used to take his little dog on the tank! He often recalled the story, or mum did, about how he rode off the road in to the ditches on the Somerset levels, once with mum on the bike on her birthday!! :LOL:

Whenever I saw a motorbike as a kid I just wants to stop and stare! I just loved them, partly i guess because they looked so cool, and you can see the engine and stuff, not like boring cars of the day, and bikes weren't covered in plastic fairings then either.

I got a 50cc MT5 "off road" bike when I was 16, bombed across the fields and road it to school, my mates, and everywhere! Fell of a fair bit too!! Remembered once on the way to school I fell off on black ice on a junction and was sat on my arse in the road, a lady stopped to see if I was alright and she promptly did the same thing and I ended up helping her up out the road!

Whenever there was bike racing on telly I had to watch it. Remember Foggy being so far in the lead in a wet race, he fell of, remounted and was still in 1st place - just amazed me!! IT was so cool how fast they went and how close they were.

After a few years off bikes doing classic cars (Triumph 2000/25000,2.5pi, and Dolomite Sprints) I moved to Southampton and got to know people in the Southampton Uni MCC, some of whom I'm still in touch with now, in fact I went for a ride with 2 of them last Monday and will be with 1 tomorrow. They did a Sunday morning bike ride each week from the Uni to somewhere, usually with a hangover from a late night at The Dungeon or Marshals nightclubs, and they did trips to the Le Mans 24 hour bike race, the Bol Dor, and I even drove a dodgy Transit to the Bol Dor one year with everyone luggage in it - fried the brakes in the Ardèche which was scary!!

I decided I had to get back on 2-wheels so did a 3-day course, got my licence, bought an FZR400RR-Exup grey import (very popular in the late 80's early 90's to get these - BAT Motorcycles were big in to this), and the rest, as they say, is history. 1998 I got my first 'Blade brand new, started doing track days, going to WSB, BSB, MotoGP, 24hr of Le Mans, Spa, Bol Dor, etc (things I'd only ever seen on telly before) and now could simply not be without one (or two) bikes. The camaraderie is a great, and we are still a minority - a never have liked to conform! I'm 50+ and go to modern rock bands like You Me at Six, All Time Low, 30-seconds to Mars, MCR, etc, and I think me and the Mrs are normally the oldest ones there!!

Sorry to ramble on - I should be out on the bike!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Perhaps it is genetic. Here is my grandfather riding his Militor sidecar rig. The Militor was an inline 4 cylinder motorcycle with hub steering. The company moved around a bit and was out of business by 1922. I think this photo was taken in the ‘30’s.
I also included a photo of the Militor taken at the Springfield , MA museum. They were manufactured there for a short time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
. . . The Militor was an inline 4 cylinder motorcycle with hub steering. . .
Never heard of them. I always thought the Ariel 'Square Four' was the first of the 4 cylinders, but only recently on a forum (not sure if it was here) I saw the Nimbus whose models ran after 1922. One on eBay now:
Nimbus Motorcycle 1948 4 cylinder | eBay

I would like it, but it'll probably leak oil in my lounge room. We all know that Hondas don't leak!:love:

·
Registered
16 Posts
As for the Nimbus production started 1920 and ended 1960. As for Four cylinders FN had this engine type early 1900! As I remember it many American bikes of 100 years ago had inline fours.
As for oil under a Honda. My CB750 of august´69 shed more oil in 8 days than the previous BMW R69S for 8 years!
The present Fireblade for 24 years has shed no oil at all on the lounge floor.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
. . . As for oil under a Honda. My CB750 of august´69 shed more oil in 8 days than the previous BMW R69S for 8 years!
The present Fireblade for 24 years has shed no oil at all on the lounge floor.
With your '69 CB, was yours one of the early 'sandcast' crankcases? Could that have been a cause? Never had probs with my '71, but as we all know, any 'bugs' are sorted by the second model.

(Thanks for the Nimbus info (y) )

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I was around three years old I draw a plcture of me riding a bike with text. When I get older I will have a motorcycle. My mom saved it and gave it to me when I got license for motorcycle. I started with a Honda MT50 moped like picture below. The I started to take license for 125CC and was done with driving but not theory so skipped that. Then when I was 23 we where 4 guys including my brother who won around 20.000 Euro each and there I where I fulfilled my dream with motorcycle. Bikes I have had and have now is Honda MT50, Honda CBR919RR Erion, Honda CBR929RR and now Honda CBR954RR. Work my way up :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was a Sandcast frame 1676 engine 1638. Engine dated 5/19. Don't know the difference to next models, and over the years it was just the standard of things. I still have a Ko engine 19.xxx enlarged to 812ccm with a fierce cam but it was never really jetted in properly. In ´86 I got hold of a CBX750 engine and it was shoehorned into my ´78 Seeley frame instead of the SandCast which by the way had taken me to the I.o.M. in ´79 and Misano Italy ´82. The CBX goes nowhere abroad as oil flows out from unter the right cylinder side and taking it apart is too much trouble. Seeley is for the little twisty roads at home!
Erling.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
. . . I still have a Ko engine 19.xxx enlarged to 812ccm with a fierce cam but it was never really jetted in properly. . .
Did you use CB350 pistons? :D

I did that when I raced mine. 350 pistons were domed (as you'd recall) and also bumped the compression significantly. I ran mine on straight methanol - then allowed, and common in racing. Never had jetting problems; we just ran a one-eighth drill through them! (Could have done with 32mm throats instead of the std Mikuni 28s)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since I was a young boy I always like fast things, cars, motorbikes, ATV's, snowmobiles etc. etc. I never owned a motorcycle though until I was 18 years of age and that was a beat up little Ninja 250 which I rode as my daily transportation for a year in the Phx, Az area. Only crashed her one time! As a kid I rode mini-bikes and quads but never owned one, but I always wanted one..........nearly 30 years later now and there was only about a 4-5 month stretch in my life without at least one motorcycle in the garage and sometimes there has been more. Currently only 2 in the garage, but since I a still raising 4 children I think I am doing pretty good. The good news was the wife came into my life and bikes were already a part of who I am and she hasn't ever bucked me on that, not once! I was also fortunate enough to get paid to ride daily as a job when I was a motor officer for nearly 10 years of my 20 year police career. It was awesome and my skills grew by leaps and bounds due to the extensive and ongoing training during the time. Training was one of my favorite work days! Anyway I can't imagine there will be a day for me that I idon'thave at least one machine in the garage and I hope to keep riding for years to come!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
2 movies:
  • Top Gun
  • Hong Kong (Cantnese) movie called Full Throttle - about a guy who can't seem to get a ride in the Macau GP even tho he was fast on the streets.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts