·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you use CB350 pistons? :D

I did that when I raced mine. 350 pistons were domed (as you'd recall) and also bumped the compression significantly. I ran mine on straight methanol - then allowed, and common in racing. Never had jetting problems; we just ran a one-eighth drill through them! (Could have done with 32mm throats instead of the std Mikuni 28s)
Sorry to admit a friend did the engine build. Another the installation in the Seeley frame together with every thing else needed from the original Honda. No front fork on the Seeley frame got one from an F2 with double discs, so gave him my old Fontana 10" 4 leading shoe drum brake to ride the thing and get it correct. It was simply very reluctant to take the gas! He as boss in a Honda shop might have a box with the various jet sizes. I am not a racer just the touring rider. Changed to the original CB750 engine but retained the double cable carburetor set. The 812 engine stands in a corner for 40 years now, and I turn it on the kickstarter couple of times a year oil tank positioned on a piece of wood the hight it might have had in the frame. Don't know if it is possible just to engage the starter on a 12 volt battery?

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,971 Posts
I have no idea what sparked my interest in motorcycling. I think it had to do with the cost of a car (expensive), versus a bike (inexpensive), in my case a scooter. A leftover 1986 Honda CH150D Elite. I bought brand new when I was 15 It was road legal, required a registration and license, was water cooled, digital dash, clock, pop up servo operated headlight, gas gauge and did a legit 55-60MPH. I had it from 87 to 93. I learned early that I didn’t want to have the dealer techs working on it mainly due to cost again, but no one, even at 17, had the attention to detail that I required to have to wrench on it. It was also famous in 86-87, as the Super Bowl Champion Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon was featured in its advertising 😉.

I leaned a lot from that little bad boy. We logged over 7 thousand miles together, only requiring gas like every 6 months 😂

And @nigelrb it was then, when that little bad boy was on the sales floor, that the leftover VF1000R was there down the aisle in all its brand new glory. That was it I guess, bikes for life since then 👍🏻

First pic is mine, second from the web, and third explains itself 😆

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Never ever saw those. I was in Oz at the time, but sure we didn't have them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If "Mr. Outrageousness" endorsed something I was riding/driving back then I might have parked it under a tarp for a few years:whistle: My wife and I left Chicago for San DIego in '86 and soon he was there too. IIRC he threw well for his time there. When he spit on a reporter I thought "he's ain't no Joe Namath". Speaking of Joe "C C and Company" with choppers racing is a (bad) classic.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
As a kid I was mad on cars, pushbikes and motorbikes. I started when I was 12 with an NSU Quickly field bike, our neighbours son who was a couple of years older than me had a Kawasaki Z650 and then a Z1000J and to my parents horror, I went all over the country as a pillion and we became best friends.

When I was 16 a Honda PC50 was my first taste of freedom, then a CB100N. By the time I was 22 I was married to the first Mrs Gunk, my career had started to take off and with that arrived nice company cars, so motorcycles took a back seat whilst I indulged my passion for cars, I had 10 years of Porsche 911 ownership, then a messy divorce.

Fast forward to 2013 and at the age of 47 I suddenly decided to take my full motorcycle test and buy a bike. In the UK they make that as difficult as possible (CBT, theory, module 1 and module 2) but in June 2013 I passed my motorcycle test (first time of course!) and started my new motorcycling journey on a lovely Ducati 600SS.

And in 7 years I’ve owned all of these...

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nice history and nice selection of bikes. Ducati is a nice looker. They always have such clean lines. I've never owned one, but certainly appreciate their styling!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I lost my way seeing that bright red Nimbus! Not the most common color. But it brings memories. A jung man shoved up on the coffee bar one night on such a bright thing. With 2 26mm Dell-Orto carburetors! His father had made manifolds for them. On the right side four separate bright copper exhaust pipes! He claimed it ran 155 km/h! 30 more than normal. He had no hesitation proving it. Apparently he believed it. Just round the corner Ring road 4 and no serious traffic. No speed limits in those days! Just don't go faster than is possible. At 125 laying flat over the tank he did no further increase. We could not hide our smiles, but alas he took it serious and never ever showed up since. From time to time this memory pops up and I regret. He was a nice guy and the work on the Nimbus was tops. Now reasently we know of someone intending a world speed record on a supercharged Nimbus! Nice tubular frame half a meter longer wheel base he just miss the connection of the shaft drive that should incorporate a higher final drive. have not actually heard it run but on the computer he has a sound track screaming, sounds definitely like no previous Nimbus I've heard! On to my reason for being on bikes. But Ian Doohan has taken words out of my mouth. A car was too expensive for the same performance. Well first 2 wheeler a kick board. couple of years before school. then a pushbike, at 16 a Danish Diesella 50cc moped, flat single forward under the pedals, direct on the krankshaft a roller to be pressed up on the rear tyre! After that a 2 speed NSU Quickly. Back on the push bike for 18 month compulsory army service, and then saving up for a BMW R69S. 8 years and pages long of troubles with it, then the CB750 was announced. I got the first one. The new BMW75/5 was anounced shortly after. Couple of years and I had one of them too. Tired of vibrations over long runs from the Honda four. Kept the four 3 years not on the road. Danish distributor of Seeley frames did not answer letters over 18 month, Passed Seeley in London on the way home from I.o.M ´78. Mother of my daughter had insisted we went there to see the return of our youth time hero Mike the Bike. I could not have a frame from Seeley ,he had just shipped 5 the other day to Danmark. Anyone of them black enameled? No. I got my frame. Sand Cast engine in it and I was happy riding. Mid eithies a CBX750 engine was shoehorned into the Seeley! Early nineties I had a test ride on a FireBlade the one with two separate lights. Delivered back to dealer with only 5000km. Whoever he was his wife had given him an ultimatum: Either me or that bike! He chose her! I did not have the money then. another couple of years and my mother passed away leaving a little money. Mother of my daughter told me to go and get the bike I've always dreamed about. Same time daughter had run into such a nice jung man able to convince her it was not feasible for young women to ride a motorcycle!! A Honda NTV 650 V-twin right kind of frame and 310mm single disc front really nice to ride but missing on power for me at least. It paid part of the black FireBlade in the show room window of Honda dealer. 24 years ago in 4 days time. 6/6´96. It is not that I´ve had many bikes, kind of keeping them forever. The Sand Cast 48 years BMW now 48, Seeley 42.
Erling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never heard of them. I always thought the Ariel 'Square Four' was the first of the 4 cylinders, but only recently on a forum (not sure if it was here) I saw the Nimbus whose models ran after 1922. One on eBay now:
Nimbus Motorcycle 1948 4 cylinder | eBay

I would like it, but it'll probably leak oil in my lounge room. We all know that Hondas don't leak!:love:
View attachment 107828
As for the Nimbus production started 1920 and ended 1960. As for Four cylinders FN had this engine type early 1900! As I remember it many American bikes of 100 years ago had inline fours.
As for oil under a Honda. My CB750 of august´69 shed more oil in 8 days than the previous BMW R69S for 8 years!
The present Fireblade for 24 years has shed no oil at all on the lounge floor.
Friend has just turned my attention to the internet: "Lars Nielsen Nimbus" "Stats up" There are 2 sequences!! But alas no sounds of a normal Nimbus. Nicknamed "humble bi" for its humming sound when running, straight cut gears I suppose.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi, and welcome to Kevin with a female avatar. Nothing wrong with that of course, but you see I have a strange habit of Google image searching 'generic' avatars, and wow, so many web pages have copied YOURS:

Some would say you're a BOT, but not me, that's the job for my superiors like @IanDoohan and @macca9540 . :love: :)

Anyway, Kevin, would love for you to share with us all the bikes you grew up riding.(y)

Oh, and by the way, I didn't click on your link. Sorry!:ROFLMAO:

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,971 Posts
Hi, and welcome to Kevin with a female avatar. Nothing wrong with that of course, but you see I have a strange habit of Google image searching 'generic' avatars, and wow, so many web pages have copied YOURS:

Some would say you're a BOT, but not me, that's the job for my superiors like @IanDoohan and @macca9540 . :love: :)

Anyway, Kevin, would love for you to share with us all the bikes you grew up riding.(y)

Oh, and by the way, I didn't click on your link. Sorry!:ROFLMAO:
👍🏻 We’ll see if she...er..Kevin has anything else to offer before being excommunicated 😂

21 - 35 of 35 Posts