Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually taking the wheels in tomorrow to have her new skins spooned on, but I was curious as to what folks are running since the front tire is a limiting factor for the 93's. Going with the BattleAxe S21's for now anyway.......here she is barefoot.........lol

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Hi matey , cant really help with this one, you will probably get so many different answers about which is the best , but most answers come from personal experience,... after saying that ...Bridgestone Battlax S22 :giggle:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I know have Battlax S21 on my 954 and gonna switch to Battlax S22 or Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP when i change.
My Battlax S21 have worked great on Track days so it will be enough for roads.
I will change to S22 only because rubber is softer at the egde of tire for better grip in corners.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,992 Posts
Pretty sure the 2 best options have been Metzeler and Bridgestone that I’ve seen people talk about on the web. Which is fine, the S21 and S22 I’ve heard are more than adequate with great feedback from buyers.

I think there are Avon’s available in the 16”, but not positive about that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed a set of Metzler Sportec M3's on one of mine. The other one came with the M3's on it.
They are a decent enough tire. And they cost less than the Bridgestones.
If you want it to be more original. They came new with Battleaxes.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,992 Posts
The whole 16” “myth” we’ll say, only came about from road racing journalists that couldn’t fully adjust the minor “chatter” or “skittishness” or “twitchiness” or whatever you want to call it, out of the front end while on the race track during testing. That means pushing hard, edge of envelope riding. Something an “enthusiast” may never even get close to.

I’ve had VERY LIMITED time with the 16” front, and only chose the 17” swap on my current bikes for standard rubber. I dropped the triple clamps anywhere from 5-10mm in a search for a similar stance, as well as raising the rear. The 17” did make it turn in slightly slower without those mods, but after it felt just as nimble as the 16”. The big change came in 98-99, when Baba finally changed the amount of “trail” in where the tire’s center of contact is in relation to the steering head. Increasing the trail trade the 16” wheel feel more stable. But then the year changed to 2000, and if you didn’t have USD forks and 17” wheels you were going to suffer. Honda answered that call with the 929. For you “technical buffs” 😉.

There were also many race teams and machinists making triple clamps that had the forks closer to the steering stem (increasing the trail), and Kaz Yoshima was one, who made the Ontario MotoTech clamps on my 93. Stock lower with the new one on top for somewhat of a perspective.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good information fellas.....That is what I was looking for, just a little feedback on tires. I don't have an issue with the 16" front rim at all, just kinda stinks that tire manufactures have left it out of a lot of their lineups. All about the $$$ I guess and since there are less buyers for 16's we get less choices. It's all good though, I am guessing the Battleaxes will work just fine. I baby this damn thing anyway because I am afraid to scratch it! The downside of having a nearly perfect example I guess. Good thing I have other options.........lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
The whole 16” “myth” we’ll say, only came about from road racing journalists that couldn’t fully adjust the minor “chatter” or “skittishness” or “twitchiness” or whatever you want to call it, out of the front end while on the race track during testing. That means pushing hard, edge of envelope riding. Something an “enthusiast” may never even get close to.

I’ve had VERY LIMITED time with the 16” front, and only chose the 17” swap on my current bikes for standard rubber. I dropped the triple clamps anywhere from 5-10mm in a search for a similar stance, as well as raising the rear. The 17” did make it turn in slightly slower without those mods, but after it felt just as nimble as the 16”. The big change came in 98-99, when Baba finally changed the amount of “trail” in where the tire’s center of contact is in relation to the steering head. Increasing the trail trade the 16” wheel feel more stable. But then the year changed to 2000, and if you didn’t have USD forks and 17” wheels you were going to suffer. Honda answered that call with the 929. For you “technical buffs” 😉.

There were also many race teams and machinists making triple clamps that had the forks closer to the steering stem (increasing the trail), and Kaz Yoshima was one, who made the Ontario MotoTech clamps on my 93. Stock lower with the new one on top for somewhat of a perspective.

View attachment 107824 View attachment 107825
Nice info, thanks. I run a 94 900RR R with a 17" front ( better tyre choice) but still found the bike to be unstable under braking on track. I installed 2000 yokes, triple trees, clamps :) which have 5 mm less offset. MUCH more stability under braking, which enabled a return to trail braking. Yep you spotted it, the 2000 used USD forks. I installed a pair of 1998 SRAD 750 in these yokes.
On a similar note I believe that the stability problems reported and experienced on early blades was due to the large offset (35mm?) AND too much compression damping on the front which introduced bump steer. My road 900RR R has had the damping cartridge "ported" by Maxton and stiffer linear springs installed, cheap and effective. This is my first post here, seems like a cool place.
Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts