Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode to work yesterday thinking that it was not going to rain. Well to my surprise it did start raining when I left work. I hate the rain in the car and now I especially hate it when im on the bike. Is there anything special im suppose to do when im riding in the rain besides riding slower and stopping sooner and not leaning into a turn too much?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hmmm really don't know probably stopping distance and keeping an extra eye out for the people as they tend to not see you as well. How long have you rode? Myself this will be my first season I got my honda May so I know I'm not that knowledgeable

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
I rode to work yesterday thinking that it was not going to rain. Well to my surprise it did start raining when I left work. I hate the rain in the car and now I especially hate it when im on the bike. Is there anything special im suppose to do when im riding in the rain besides riding slower and stopping sooner and not leaning into a turn too much?
You're right...SLOW down. Remember you have 2 wheels only with a combined grip of much less than a single car tyre, so you don't like driving in the rain in your car....this is worse.

You MUST SLOW down. Its so important. Try and use you gearing and engine as 'brakes' instead of your front and rear brakes.

Be aware of any debris that may have be washed onto the road surface. Touching your front brake here could be bad news.

Be aware as everything as you normally would. There is no more 'extra' awareness you will need about other road users. Just that when they make stupid errors (as they do) you need to be further back and allow for a longer stoppping distance.

If you need to stop quick in the rain...forget it. So take your time and Ride Safe.....Better still keep an eye on the weather forecast, if it looks like rain after later in the day....take the car:thumb:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
its all about being as smooth as possible. roll on the throttle very gently, apply the brakes very gently. no jerky motions on either. nice fluid movements all around the bike.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
1) The more I ride in the rain, the more I like it. If driving a car bothers you in the rain however, then avoid it on the bike as much as possible.

2) Smoothness is key with throttle, brakes, and turning. You have much more traction than you'd think, but the breaking point is sudden and severe. Don't plan on pulling out in front of a car and getting on the gas hard. Be patient when merging.

3) You are less visible to other drivers who are also distracted by the rain. Get some bright rain gear. Use high-beam in daytime (if you don't already.)

4) The roads are at their worst when the it first starts to rain. The oils on the surface get very slick as they get wet. Sometimes it rains hard enough to wash some of it off but be careful, especially in intersections and at stop lights where cars sit and drip. Stay slightly to the side instead of the middle of the road at these places. Also be careful about where you put your foot down at a stop and have good boots that grip.

5) Keep good tires on the bike.

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
1) The more I ride in the rain, the more I like it. If driving a car bothers you in the rain however, then avoid it on the bike as much as possible.

2) Smoothness is key with throttle, brakes, and turning. You have much more traction than you'd think, but the breaking point is sudden and severe. Don't plan on pulling out in front of a car and getting on the gas hard. Be patient when merging.

3) You are less visible to other drivers who are also distracted by the rain. Get some bright rain gear. Use high-beam in daytime (if you don't already.)

4) The roads are at their worst when the it first starts to rain. The oils on the surface get very slick as they get wet. Sometimes it rains hard enough to wash some of it off but be careful, especially in intersections and at stop lights where cars sit and drip. Stay slightly to the side instead of the middle of the road at these places. Also be careful about where you put your foot down at a stop and have good boots that grip.

5) Keep good tires on the bike.
:plus1: :thumb:

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
if riding in rural roads stay near the middle as pools of water gather near the verge side.
The pools can also hide hidden dangers
Make sure the tryres you are using are also good in the wet.

Using stuff like Mr Sheen on your visor is good as it makes a film that allows the rain to run off easily.

Rem to tilt your umbrella slightly forward or the wind will blow it away ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Might sound daft but get decent wet weather gear - it's hard to concentrate on riding when you're soaking wet, cold and have trickles of water running down your neck! If you're at least warm and dry you can focus on riding and watching out for cars not watching out for you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Everything that has been said already is true and great advise. You also need to remember that cars, trucks, bikes, all can leak oil. Because of this Do Not Ride in the middle of the lane. Your bike could very easily come out from undernieth you. Be careful out there riders. Here in TX. we have had a lot of fallen riders lately.

·
Registered
44 Posts
its all about being as smooth as possible. roll on the throttle very gently, apply the brakes very gently. no jerky motions on either. nice fluid movements all around the bike.
:plus1: Smooth and relax.Get good rain gear and you will be more comfortable on the bike(as your not wet and cold)allowing you to enjoy the ride.Rain doesnt bother me in the slightest as its always raining here.I actually enjoy riding at a nice pace in the wet.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm suprised noone said drive the cage in. :) I usually just give in and drive the car into work when it's raining.

But getting stuck in the rain is another story and the stuff mentioned above are all good points.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
i won't sound redundant by repeating all the great advice, but my #1 is not to be intimidated by the rain.. respect the weather but with good tires and gear there is no reason not to ride..

·
Registered
310 Posts
ride as you normally ride,jusy slower.look for rainbows onthe road cause thats diesel,put your main beams on,wear a rain suit if you have one,drive in the tracks of cars made as to avoid oil.Rubber tends ro float on the water so when it has just started rainong be extra careful,you can slip easily.If its been raining for quite a while you are pretty much in the same conditions as dry,just ride slower and be more aware.I cruise 200 in the rain,but only if its ben raining for a long time,then I know the road is clean.Good luck

·
Registered
896 Posts
Everything that has been said already is true and great advise. You also need to remember that cars, trucks, bikes, all can leak oil. Because of this Do Not Ride in the middle of the lane. Your bike could very easily come out from undernieth you. Be careful out there riders. Here in TX. we have had a lot of fallen riders lately.

follow this guys advice on dry days too, i refer to that portion of the lane as the oil slick. smoothness is key for bad weather specially if you got a fast bike. once you get used to riding in the rain its no so bad. i usually reccomend the car if u can on bad weather days only cause just about every motorcycle accident ive seen recently is not the riders fault but the cager who wasnt looking and bad weather brings out the worst in already distracted drivers.

cell phones are illegal in cars without a hands free device in my state and i still see idiots with there hand on their ear. passed one today in the rain go figure!

·
Registered
87 Posts
as you ride your brakes get wet so when you go to apply them they might not engage right away because they are initially wet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts