Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the forums and just want to say how much great info is on here.

A bit of background, I recently purchased a 1996 CBR900RR only to find its slips out of 2nd and even 5th sometimes while the bike is under load. I'll be pulling the motor out of it today in order to fix the transmission and was just wondering if there is something I should do to the bike/motor while it's all dismantled

The bike has done 45k and the motor runs fine with no real issue.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Bish

·
Registered
596 Posts
i installed a manual cam chain tensioner while i had mine out, but the engine doesn't need to be out for that. if it's running good, leave it alone except for maintenance. if it aint broke, don't fix it, etc.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey guys,

New to the forums and just want to say how much great info is on here.

A bit of background, I recently purchased a 1996 CBR900RR only to find its slips out of 2nd and even 5th sometimes while the bike is under load. I'll be pulling the motor out of it today in order to fix the transmission and was just wondering if there is something I should do to the bike/motor while it's all dismantled

The bike has done 45k and the motor runs fine with no real issue.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Bish

Do some basic diagnostics first like a compression and leakdown test. To do the transmission you don't have to disassemble the entire engine, but if compression is low then it'd be a good time to throw a set of rings in there. Valve guide seals and countershaft seal would be good to do as well. Be sure to inspect the main and rod bearings for any wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts