Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time coming up with a tranny for my bike (1996 CBR900RR). Second gear is bad, as well as the left selector fork. Are there any other bikes that use the same or similar tranny in them that would work. I know the 97's will, and I saw a video on youtube that suggested a 2002 CB919 will, but the 919 has a first gear that is way too big to fit in the crankcase (36 teeth). Any other ideas?:confused:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm having a hard time coming up with a tranny for my bike (1996 CBR900RR). Second gear is bad, as well as the left selector fork. Are there any other bikes that use the same or similar tranny in them that would work. I know the 97's will, and I saw a video on youtube that suggested a 2002 CB919 will, but the 919 has a first gear that is way too big to fit in the crankcase (36 teeth). Any other ideas?:confused:
'96/'97 should be identical. '92-'95 and '98/'99 should be similar but may not be swappable. The 919 Hornet should be usable as well but the only way to know for sure is to try it. Some parts may also be used in other engines so you could try those as well.
You'll have to spend some time going through microfiches and checking part numbers. Different part numbers don't necessarily mean incompatible though as the part may have merely been improved or modified in some way.
'95 and '99 for example have different part numbers for the mainshafts.
The forks from '96-'99 are the same.
It may be easier just to get the bits you need to replace any damage in your transmission - either new or secondhand.
Second is always going to be the most worn in a sportsbike transmission so it may just be better and cheaper to buy a new second gear and a new fork.

1996 Honda CBR900RR OEM Parts, 1996 Honda CBR900RR OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

1999 Honda CBR900RR OEM Parts, 1999 Honda CBR900RR OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

1995 Honda CBR900RR OEM Parts, 1995 Honda CBR900RR OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've been on bikebandit for hours. The only way I can tell if it might work has been by tooth count, but that still doesn't help with the lenght of the shafts. I guess I'll just have to be patient, I have all winter.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thanks, I've been on bikebandit for hours. The only way I can tell if it might work has been by tooth count, but that still doesn't help with the lenght of the shafts. I guess I'll just have to be patient, I have all winter.
Is there a wrecker around that will let you spend a day out the back measuring transmissions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts