Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no clue whats best. I do have electric brakes on the trailer. Approxametly 8500 lbs trailer weight when loaded. Thanks for your help!

This is what I found on the net: Article by a Tekonsha Instructor:

"The only true brake controllers are made by Tekonsha and Hayes. All others, (Draw-Tite, Reese, Tap, Jordaon and AccuPower are Timers/Activators, and are much less safe and effective."

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
phobiaphobe said:
I use all tekonshas voyageurs. Easy to install and use. Not a complaint yet.
I was looking at that one, and the Tekonsha Prodigy...I found the Prodigy on the net for $99. The next cheapest was $109 then $129 for it. Motor Trend did a test with different models and looks like the Prodigy was the favorite.

(I found that after posting the question)

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I have the Prodigy on the truck. Although the sheep hauler is not the weight you are taliking it worked very nicely on the way to Grattan. Super easy to install and seems to work great.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I can get you a free brake controller if you want. I'm not sure on the brand though.

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CBR929RE said:
I can get you a free brake controller if you want. I'm not sure on the brand though.
Darn, I acted too fast. I bought the Prodigy. Can you get the truck wiring harnesses? I need one of those now. 04 Chevy 2500HD.

Thanks for the offer!!

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
well my friends father has a bunch of brake controllers and wiring laying around but I don't know what brands. I'll ask him tonight what he's got. He's a Ford guy so he might only have them for Fords but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
SilverBullet said:
Darn, I acted too fast. I bought the Prodigy. Can you get the truck wiring harnesses? I need one of those now. 04 Chevy 2500HD.

Thanks for the offer!!
Yes you are talking to THE sheep you need to.

Two questions:
Are you talking of the connector from the controller to the computer?

or

Are you talking controller to trailer

Either is easy on a GM. I thought a '04 HD had a tow package so you should be wired to the bumper. If so that leaves the controller to computer. I thought there was a cable in your glove box :eek: If not let me know and I can give you links to find all of the above.

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sheepofblue said:
Yes you are talking to THE sheep you need to.

Two questions:
Are you talking of the connector from the controller to the computer?

or

Are you talking controller to trailer

Either is easy on a GM. I thought a '04 HD had a tow package so you should be wired to the bumper. If so that leaves the controller to computer. I thought there was a cable in your glove box :eek: If not let me know and I can give you links to find all of the above.
I need the wires that plug into the box above the brake and into the brake controller. I have found them online, and can get it from the dealer, just wondering if anyone had one that wasn't going to use it. I had one in my 03 tahoe that would have worked, but when I got my new truck, it wasn't in there. Wish I had of kept that one from the Tahoe.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
SilverBullet said:
I need the wires that plug into the box above the brake and into the brake controller.
It did not come with your Chevy? All my Fords came with the harness. :poke:

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EDDIE110171 said:
It did not come with your Chevy? All my Fords came with the harness. :poke:
It does come with it, but I bought it used and it wasn't in there. I was nice enough to leave mine in the Tahoe when I traded it in on the 2500.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts