Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

whats a 07 1k RR worth?

2K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  submaniac 
#1 ·
I really hate to post somthing like this but its really the only way to get a fair amount of input

I'm looking at getting a 07 CBR 1000RR..
-it is a insurance salvage,
-laid down on the left... little rash on a engine cover and a little on the frame
-needs the left side inner and outer plastics, upper, and a headlight (i have everything but the headlight)
-no key so i don't know if it runs or if it does, if it has any mechanical problems (probably end up replacing the ignition)
-salvage papers...no title

was told the frame and subframe are straight. forks are straight, no beds in the rims, good rubber, good radiator, good chain, engine is has the right amount of oil in it and turns over(but has no key to verify if it starts)...basically all the damage is cosmetic according to the seller and once again i have a full set of plastics for this year of the fireblade

I know I will ahve to buy....
headlight - 200 USD
ignition- 50 USD
front turnsignals -30 USD

what do you think this bike is worth jsut with the listed points? ill work on getting pics

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds almost exact to the 06 i bought off e-bay, paid $3,100 bike started right up but had white smoke from the exhaust, that was an $1100 dollar fix, good thing is it only had 125 miles on it, by the time I put new plastic and engine work done i had an 06 with 125 miles for around $5000 and in the color I wanted(new plastic), probably could have found an 06 not salvaged for around the same but not with 125 miles and the colors i wanted,plus doing a lot of the work my self always makes you love the bike all that much more

#3 ·
you do have a good point there. i am assuming the engine is junk (though i cant see much being wrong with it since it is only 3-4 years old). a buddy of mine has a good running engine and full wiring harness for a 06 for $600 usd. if it turns out it is a bad engine, i was going to buy it and do a swap. part out the engine that came out of the bike. i could probably recoup a lot of that 600 if not break even... i paint semi professionaly, probably dump about $60 in paint on the bike... end result should be a nice and clean 07 with a salvage title for around 3500 (estimatimating a little high)... but as i said, I dont know what the bike is worth as it sits. i was thinking between 2500 and 3000 assuming i could hotwire it and get it to start.

it is nice to hear it all worked out for you in the end badgerfan! i ahve to agree, what is attained by your own blood sweat and tears does make the bike more valuable int he owners eye:thumb:

#4 ·
Does the CBR1000RR have a HISS system on it? If it does, your looking at about £500 for a replacement set (ECU & Lockset)

You need to make a decision... are you buying it to keep until it dies or looking to make a profit? I bought my 954RR and the Hornet as Write offs (Salvage) and have re-built them. The Blade i'll make a profit if I were to sell her whilst the Hornet I'd make a loss - I'm not looking to sell them ever so I'm not fussed.

Without hearing the engine run the price I'd be willing to pay would only be the amount of money I would get from breaking her (I would leave a bit in there for myself too therefore lowering the price I would want to pay)

#5 ·
I'll have to double check on the HISS sytem. if I remember correctly that is only on European models. As i said im going to do a little research on that. if it turns out that the engine and wiring are bad or has a HISS, i have a complete engine and wiring harness (indluding the ignition/key) that is a call away for about what i could sell the existing components for.

I'm actually looking at this bike for myself. im getting rid of my 90 FZR and my 96 blade in the spring. should pull a 4 digit profit from the two selling at a relaistic price but we will see. i'm hoping it would be my last bike for a few years at least. ive bought 3 bikes in the past year and im sick of it...

#6 ·
Yup your right (not sure where you location is) Can get a replacement key cut from the numbers stamped on the ignition barrel.

Whats the need for an upgrade? Ditch the FZR in the summer (you'll get more in the spring/summer than you would in autumn/winter)

#7 · (Edited)
I'm in the United states unfortunatly... lol

ill probably jsut get a key cut in that case. wont have to figure out how to put fuel in the bike with doing it that way lol...

Im upgrading just to get away from the 900RR engine. I heard of people spinning rod bearings almost every week during the summer. with the distances I ride, I cant afford a break down... the other reason is i have reason to believe that i can get that 07 1kRR on the road for less then what i can sell my 900RR for in the spring...just based on the idea i have the plastics alredy, an engine/wiring harness a phone call away, and the ability to fix just about any issue it might have myself. the only real isue will be sending out for a salvage title

#10 ·
What have you been reading? I'll be interested to find out about the problems with them.

With any bike your bound to get problems, on this site you notice more about the blade's problem as its a forum dedicated to mainly Fireblades.

#11 ·
h ear most the stuff from people that have owned them. whether their problem was a fluke or just coincidential of their set up idk.

i agree with you on the second bit. that is why i allways look up a bike's known problems before i buy.

how is your 954?

#20 · (Edited)
here's a link my 06 1KRR rebuild. I got the bike with clean title for $950 at the police auction.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/wr...ries/80562-pictures-my-cbr1000rr-rebuild.html

From what you say, it sounds like an easy rebuild, IF the seller is telling the truth about the damage. The problem is that some of that damage is hard to spot, until you get the bike running. The frame being straight? It is difficult to tell with the naked eye if it is legitimately straight (like it could be off by such a small amount that you could not see it). To be absolutely certain you either have to get it running, and see how it feels/handles or go to a shop specializing in it and they can measure if it's straight. Kind of like the forks. They could be bent slightly and you may not be able to tell with the naked eye. Just don't take a seller's word on it.

P.S. if it is a USA bike, it DOES NOT have HISS on it. So you don't have to worry about that.

#21 ·
here's a link my 06 1KRR rebuild. I got the bike with clean title for $950 at the police auction.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/wr...ries/80562-pictures-my-cbr1000rr-rebuild.html

From what you say, it sounds like an easy rebuild, IF the seller is telling the truth about the damage. The problem is that some of that damage is hard to spot, until you get the bike running. The frame being straight? It is near impossible to tell with the naked eye if it is legitimately straight. You either have to get it running, and see how it feels or go to a shop specializing in it and they can measure if it's straight. Kind of like the forks. They could be bent slightly and you may not be able to tell with the naked eye. Just don't take a seller's word on it.

P.S. if it is a USA bike, it DOES NOT have HISS on it. So you don't have to worry about that.
Nice rebuild!! if only 950 was a possibility here. the seller said everythign is straight but the subframe looks slightly tweaked. trust me, if I'm going to fork out money for a bike I am going to go over every inch of it before the transaction goes any further. if i cant get it running im going to see have someone give me a push lol! it shouldent be hard to tell if the frame is bent if the bike is moving, even if its not under its own power.

ill be brining my usual tools (sockets, wrenches, dremmel with cut off wheels, wire and wire cutters, pliers, chanell locks, zip ties and hose clamps) on top of that, jumper cables, my spare ignition switch, external fuel cell, fuel line, motor oil, starting fluid, battery box, multitester... you get the idea.. if that bike has it in it to run ill make it so...

#23 ·
hres a few pics of the bike. it was posted on ebay not too long ago but didnt sell. what i find interesting is its covered in psuedo repsol plastics but it is no more then a 07 1kRR. i was assured that the damage is only cosmetic but i will see about that when i look at the thing. in my inventory i have a full set of plastics for the bike... inner and outer, windsheild, mirrors and thats about it. i would need a fender and headlight. assuming i dont find anything else wrong...

#24 ·
Yeah, I saw that bike on Ebay too. It is a chinese repsol kit (from Rossi's valencia bike). On your list, you need to add the cost of a wiring harness. The harness is on the clutch side of the bike (the part that is damaged). I can't tell from the photographs, but I am fairly sure that you will need a new harness. The same part of my bike went down. There were bits and pieces still remaining from the old harness but in the end it was just easier and simpler to replace the entire harness (because I didn't want to risk shorting out my bike every time it rained).

#26 ·
On the harness, I would still be ware. If only a few wires were damaged, you will have to replace the entire thing. If you cut and splice for just a few wires it's going to be a headache as there is so much wiring in those things. Keep in mind the cost is not just the wiring harness (you can get those used fairly cheap--mine was like $40), but the fact that the wires go everywhere (into the engine, etc.) and it will take a long time to replace.

What's its value? Geez, I dunno. Mine was $950 with a clean title. I really wouldn't want your bike if it was more than $1500. With what you sink into it, time and cost of parts, and the fact that it has a salvage title, for more than $1500 you could just buy another bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.