Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate to post somthing like this but its really the only way to get a fair amount of input

I'm looking at getting a 07 CBR 1000RR..
-it is a insurance salvage,
-laid down on the left... little rash on a engine cover and a little on the frame
-needs the left side inner and outer plastics, upper, and a headlight (i have everything but the headlight)
-no key so i don't know if it runs or if it does, if it has any mechanical problems (probably end up replacing the ignition)
-salvage papers...no title

was told the frame and subframe are straight. forks are straight, no beds in the rims, good rubber, good radiator, good chain, engine is has the right amount of oil in it and turns over(but has no key to verify if it starts)...basically all the damage is cosmetic according to the seller and once again i have a full set of plastics for this year of the fireblade

I know I will ahve to buy....
headlight - 200 USD
ignition- 50 USD
front turnsignals -30 USD

what do you think this bike is worth jsut with the listed points? ill work on getting pics

·
Registered
7 Posts
sounds almost exact to the 06 i bought off e-bay, paid $3,100 bike started right up but had white smoke from the exhaust, that was an $1100 dollar fix, good thing is it only had 125 miles on it, by the time I put new plastic and engine work done i had an 06 with 125 miles for around $5000 and in the color I wanted(new plastic), probably could have found an 06 not salvaged for around the same but not with 125 miles and the colors i wanted,plus doing a lot of the work my self always makes you love the bike all that much more

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds almost exact to the 06 i bought off e-bay, paid $3,100 bike started right up but had white smoke from the exhaust, that was an $1100 dollar fix, good thing is it only had 125 miles on it, by the time I put new plastic and engine work done i had an 06 with 125 miles for around $5000 and in the color I wanted(new plastic), probably could have found an 06 not salvaged for around the same but not with 125 miles and the colors i wanted,plus doing a lot of the work my self always makes you love the bike all that much more
you do have a good point there. i am assuming the engine is junk (though i cant see much being wrong with it since it is only 3-4 years old). a buddy of mine has a good running engine and full wiring harness for a 06 for $600 usd. if it turns out it is a bad engine, i was going to buy it and do a swap. part out the engine that came out of the bike. i could probably recoup a lot of that 600 if not break even... i paint semi professionaly, probably dump about $60 in paint on the bike... end result should be a nice and clean 07 with a salvage title for around 3500 (estimatimating a little high)... but as i said, I dont know what the bike is worth as it sits. i was thinking between 2500 and 3000 assuming i could hotwire it and get it to start.

it is nice to hear it all worked out for you in the end badgerfan! i ahve to agree, what is attained by your own blood sweat and tears does make the bike more valuable int he owners eye:thumb:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Does the CBR1000RR have a HISS system on it? If it does, your looking at about £500 for a replacement set (ECU & Lockset)

You need to make a decision... are you buying it to keep until it dies or looking to make a profit? I bought my 954RR and the Hornet as Write offs (Salvage) and have re-built them. The Blade i'll make a profit if I were to sell her whilst the Hornet I'd make a loss - I'm not looking to sell them ever so I'm not fussed.

Without hearing the engine run the price I'd be willing to pay would only be the amount of money I would get from breaking her (I would leave a bit in there for myself too therefore lowering the price I would want to pay)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to double check on the HISS sytem. if I remember correctly that is only on European models. As i said im going to do a little research on that. if it turns out that the engine and wiring are bad or has a HISS, i have a complete engine and wiring harness (indluding the ignition/key) that is a call away for about what i could sell the existing components for.

I'm actually looking at this bike for myself. im getting rid of my 90 FZR and my 96 blade in the spring. should pull a 4 digit profit from the two selling at a relaistic price but we will see. i'm hoping it would be my last bike for a few years at least. ive bought 3 bikes in the past year and im sick of it...

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Yup your right (not sure where you location is) Can get a replacement key cut from the numbers stamped on the ignition barrel.

Whats the need for an upgrade? Ditch the FZR in the summer (you'll get more in the spring/summer than you would in autumn/winter)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yup your right (not sure where you location is) Can get a replacement key cut from the numbers stamped on the ignition barrel.

Whats the need for an upgrade? Ditch the FZR in the summer (you'll get more in the spring/summer than you would in autumn/winter)
I'm in the United states unfortunatly... lol

ill probably jsut get a key cut in that case. wont have to figure out how to put fuel in the bike with doing it that way lol...

Im upgrading just to get away from the 900RR engine. I heard of people spinning rod bearings almost every week during the summer. with the distances I ride, I cant afford a break down... the other reason is i have reason to believe that i can get that 07 1kRR on the road for less then what i can sell my 900RR for in the spring...just based on the idea i have the plastics alredy, an engine/wiring harness a phone call away, and the ability to fix just about any issue it might have myself. the only real isue will be sending out for a salvage title

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I'm in the United states unfortunatly... lol

ill probably jsut get a key cut in that case. wont have to figure out how to put fuel in the bike with doing it that way lol...

Im upgrading just to get away from the 900RR engine. I heard of people spinning rod bearings almost every week during the summer. with the distances I ride, I cant afford a break down... the other reason is i have reason to believe that i can get that 07 1kRR on the road for less then what i can sell my 900RR for in the spring...
I haven't had any experience so not sure regarding the 900RR engines, have you looked into any other bikes whilst your still on the look?

A 954RR would be a nice catch :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't had any experience so not sure regarding the 900RR engines, have you looked into any other bikes whilst your still on the look?

A 954RR would be a nice catch :D

found a few 929's and 954s for some unreal deals... the reason i didnt go for any of them is because the 929's EFI system is problematic from what i hear and the 954's have rear end tracion issues. both appear to have been fixed on the 1kRR (DSEFI system and unit pro link swing arm...) if the 1krr dosent go through ill probably jsut keep my 900.. only reason im looking at the 1kRR is because i can do it for about what my bike is worth

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
What have you been reading? I'll be interested to find out about the problems with them.

With any bike your bound to get problems, on this site you notice more about the blade's problem as its a forum dedicated to mainly Fireblades.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What have you been reading? I'll be interested to find out about the problems with them.

With any bike your bound to get problems, on this site you notice more about the blade's problem as its a forum dedicated to mainly Fireblades.
h ear most the stuff from people that have owned them. whether their problem was a fluke or just coincidential of their set up idk.

i agree with you on the second bit. that is why i allways look up a bike's known problems before i buy.

how is your 954?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
h ear most the stuff from people that have owned them. whether their problem was a fluke or just coincidential of their set up idk.

i agree with you on the second bit. that is why i allways look up a bike's known problems before i buy.

how is your 954?
Touch wood I've had no problems what so ever with her apart from getting water in the kick stand switch (pressure washers and kick stand switches don't go together - neither does pressure washers and radiators but not had the chance to find that one out :D)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Touch wood I've had no problems what so ever with her apart from getting water in the kick stand switch (pressure washers and kick stand switches don't go together - neither does pressure washers and radiators but not had the chance to find that one out :D)
hm.. I can see why haha. i may have to give 954's another chance if the 1kRR turns out to be anything but promising

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
hm.. I can see why haha. i may have to give 954's another chance if the 1kRR turns out to be anything but promising
I myself haven't had any problems *touch wood* and doub't i'll be changing her any time soon - they're gorgeous machines :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I myself haven't had any problems *touch wood* and doub't i'll be changing her any time soon - they're gorgeous machines :D
agreed! the 954 and the 04-05 1kRR are the best looking bikes out on the road in my opinion. heh, go figure the 1kRR I'm looking at is a 07... it will still be one sick looking bike when im done with it... already started looking at paint options :rolleyes: thats assuming everything works out on it

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
agreed! the 954 and the 04-05 1kRR are the best looking bikes out on the road in my opinion. heh, go figure the 1kRR I'm looking at is a 07... it will still be one sick looking bike when im done with it... already started looking at paint options :rolleyes: thats assuming everything works out on it
You mean the 02-07! Most manufacturers once they reached 2008 made them ugly IMO.

You going to go for custom or OEM colours?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You mean the 02-07! Most manufacturers once they reached 2008 made them ugly IMO.

You going to go for custom or OEM colours?
yeah. 02-07 ... I just dont get it. 08 must have been the year of the sheephead or something... thats what it reminds me of. 2010 model looks pretty sick though.

Ill be using cutsom colors all the way. Probalby have a friend of mine mix up the exact colors then I'll take care of the prec and paint. I havent decided on what colors for the paint scheme yet.. My '96 is Audi lazer blue (kind of like a deep cobalt metalic with a heavy silver/blue flake) it is a sick sick color but I'm not sure I want to keep using it jsut because its real close to yamaha's trademark blue. I almost want to do something with a metallic scarlet/red of some sort but not sure. charcoal is another idea ive been kicking around (candied dark gray with heavy silver flake) but then again untill i see the canvas, its hard to decifer what it wants to look like

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
yeah. 02-07 ... I just dont get it. 08 must have been the year of the sheephead or something... thats what it reminds me of. 2010 model looks pretty sick though.

Ill be using cutsom colors all the way. Probalby have a friend of mine mix up the exact colors then I'll take care of the prec and paint. I havent decided on what colors for the paint scheme yet.. My '96 is Audi lazer blue (kind of like a deep cobalt metalic with a heavy silver/blue flake) it is a sick sick color but I'm not sure I want to keep using it jsut because its real close to yamaha's trademark blue. I almost want to do something with a metallic scarlet/red of some sort but not sure. charcoal is another idea ive been kicking around (candied dark gray with heavy silver flake) but then again untill i see the canvas, its hard to decifer what it wants to look like
I'm currently thinking about colours for my sons Mini, I'm hung up on a few colours. I seem to have my eyes on either a titanium/slate/deep gun metal grey, deep metalic red/candy red or Ford RS Imperial Blue. Yum.

I see it on one car and fall for the colour, problem is when I see it on another it looks sh*te (BMW Sepang Bronze looks wicked at night, utter crap in the sun)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm currently thinking about colours for my sons Mini, I'm hung up on a few colours. I seem to have my eyes on either a titanium/slate/deep gun metal grey, deep metalic red/candy red or Ford RS Imperial Blue. Yum.

I see it on one car and fall for the colour, problem is when I see it on another it looks sh*te (BMW Sepang Bronze looks wicked at night, utter crap in the sun)
good colors..

im trying to decide what im going to do with the upper for my 900. im thinking about painting the top to match the tank, then rhino lining the rest

·
Registered
111 Posts
here's a link my 06 1KRR rebuild. I got the bike with clean title for $950 at the police auction.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/wr...ries/80562-pictures-my-cbr1000rr-rebuild.html

From what you say, it sounds like an easy rebuild, IF the seller is telling the truth about the damage. The problem is that some of that damage is hard to spot, until you get the bike running. The frame being straight? It is difficult to tell with the naked eye if it is legitimately straight (like it could be off by such a small amount that you could not see it). To be absolutely certain you either have to get it running, and see how it feels/handles or go to a shop specializing in it and they can measure if it's straight. Kind of like the forks. They could be bent slightly and you may not be able to tell with the naked eye. Just don't take a seller's word on it.

P.S. if it is a USA bike, it DOES NOT have HISS on it. So you don't have to worry about that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts