Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you savy bike junkies, I'm working on the project 900 today and am wondering just how important the overflow tank is. Could I get away with not having it?:huh: It's kinda awkward and take's a lot of room under the gas tank. Room I could be using for re-routed harness. I know it may be foolish to consider removing something Honda thought necessary to have, but hey, all the free mods on my RC included removing stuff.
Any help is greatly appreciated:thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ok you savy bike junkies, I'm working on the project 900 today and am wondering just how important the overflow tank is. Could I get away with not having it?:huh: It's kinda awkward and take's a lot of room under the gas tank. Room I could be using for re-routed harness. I know it may be foolish to consider removing something Honda thought necessary to have, but hey, all the free mods on my RC included removing stuff.
Any help is greatly appreciated:thumb:
It's possible to remove it provided the engine never gets too hot. If it never gets hot enough to blow the radiator cap then you aren't using the recovery reservoir anyway. I would suggest that it's better to keep it though. Bit surprised it's under the tank. Mount it under the tail perhaps.

·
Registered
552 Posts
the coolant overflow tank is needed, as coolant gets hot it expands and pushes coolant into the tank to allow for the expansion and as the coolant cools down it draws it back into the radiator it does this everytime you ride, if there is no overflow tank then the coolant will expand and blow out and depending where you run the tube it could get on your rear tire wich would not be good and with no tank there will be no coolant to draw back in and in time you will get low on coolant.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
the coolant overflow tank is needed, as coolant gets hot it expands and pushes coolant into the tank to allow for the expansion and as the coolant cools down it draws it back into the radiator it does this everytime you ride, if there is no overflow tank then the coolant will expand and blow out and depending where you run the tube it could get on your rear tire wich would not be good and with no tank there will be no coolant to draw back in and in time you will get low on coolant.
If the coolant never gets hot enough to blow the relief valve then it won't pass to the recovery tank. The recovery tank also has an overflow so coolant can still blow out onto the road even with the tank.
Not sure what temp is required to create enough pressure to blow the valve but it's probably well above the temp where the fan comes on.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
If you want to see if you need it pull the hose off the overflow tank and cable-tie it somewhere around the dash where you can see it and go riding. If it never blows any coolant out the hose then you don't need the tank.

Reactions: Chum

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very good ideas guys. Thanks for you input.

I did notice the the overflow tank has an over flow hose as well. I thought it to be a little odd.

I guess I could also put a higher temp cap on it, but that may be jeoperdizing my engine.

Once again, I appreciate the responses. :thumb:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The overflow isn't directly beneath the gas tank, more like under the rear of the tank where it meets the seat.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Very good ideas guys. Thanks for you input.

I did notice the the overflow tank has an over flow hose as well. I thought it to be a little odd.

I guess I could also put a higher temp cap on it, but that may be jeoperdizing my engine.

Once again, I appreciate the responses. :thumb:
The system is sealed but it needs to be able to vent in case of extreme pressure.
You won't jeopodise the engine, you merely risk blowing one of the hoses if the cap won't pop.
I cut a rubber disc to fit into the cap of my ZX6R just before Christmas to raise the pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts