Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been looking at what sport bike to buy and I believe the 929 is the one for me. I want to get your opinion on the 929 and how it has stood the test of time. I plan on just using it for street riding but I might someday want to try it at a track. I have 3 yrs riding experience on a honda magna and a honda xr650l. I am looking for something faster and more fun for the road. Maybe light stunts too but I don't know yet.

1. Are there any problem you have had with your 929? Specifically, what are common problems to the bike?

2. Since it was produced for only 2 yrs do you think it will be hard to get parts for in a few yrs?

3. How do you like it riding it on the street? Is a steering dampner bascially a requirement for safety sake or is it very manageable and safe without one?

4. Is there a different bike you would get (sport bike) instead of the 929 knowing what you do now? I had been thinking of a gsxr 750 as well but I gather that the honda is more comfortable, has better low end torque, and is better manufactured.

5. Is there anything special I should pay attention to when looking to buy one? I have experience with cruisers and dirt bikes but sport bikes are new to me. Anything sneaky people do with sport bikes that I should especially watch for?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I did 18,000 miles in 15 months on my 2001 929 and it was awesome when I sold it... Nothing but oil changes and gas...

There were two recalls to check on, a quick call with the VIN to a honda dealer will clear it up. There was a short hose on the tank that a recall made longer and a clutch basket recall as well. Make sure its had both if it needed it, otherwise as long as its had regular oil changes, high miles or anything like that is nothing to be concerned with...

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I loved my 929 right up to time i killed it
You should get a damper for it though

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
I had 11k miles on my 929 in a little over a year.  Never had any problems with it.  Just general scheduled maintenance, performed by me.

I traded it in for an XX because I wanted more comfort for myself, and passengers, on long rides.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the recalls go...

1.  Do you mean I can call my local honda dealer and they have something to lookup to see if the recalls were performed?

2.  If the recalls weren't performed does that mean that I can still get honda to do it for free?

3.  Were these serious things or just a small issues not worth getting fixed?

4.  Would damage have been done to the bike if it was ridden long without the recalls being addressed?

5.  I have heard before that a punch mark is put after the vin number if the recalls have been done.  Is this true for the 929 as well and does that mean all recalls were done?

----------------------------------------------------
Also, since it was mentioned that comfort is an issue on longer trips...How many miles could you drive in relative comfort?

Thanks for all the replies already....you guys must like bikes as much as me

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
12.5K miles on mine before I traded it in for a 954; my old 929 is still being ridden, alive and well. One set of tires, one set of plugs, three oil changes, etc, but no problems. I remember reading here somewhere that Honda charging systems tend to crap out around 30-40K, but that's about it. I didn't think that a dampener was needed on the 929 (unlike the 954).

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Yep, you should still be able to get the recalls done for free. Not sure when that runs out, but it's still another couple of years I think.

The clutch recall was for a clutch basket that could explode during high RPM take-offs (ie, drag racing).

·
Registered
398 Posts
I put over 19,000 miles on my bike before I crashed in March. I love the bike and am ashamed that it has taken me so long to rebuild it.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
DirtRider : Also, since it was mentioned that comfort is an issue on longer trips...How many miles could you drive in relative comfort?
That'll vary by rider. There are some that do insane numbers of miles, on the stock seat, with stock bars.

I did several 500 mile days on my 929 with a Corbin and it was tolerable. (Not with a passenger though.)

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
It is a Honda - just buy one . Seriously, the 929 was out for only 2 years, but that's only because of bike evolution and competition among the big name manufacturers (trend of bigger displacement over the years, more power, etc.). The 929 is one of the best, in my opinion, sportbike models Honda has ever come out with. I have the 954, which I love, but in reality it is nothing more than the 'next generation' 929 - a bit more displacement, power, and a few improvements as well. I admit to being a biased Honda lover, but I think you will be very happy with the 929. If you are looking for reliability, buy a Honda .

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
DirtRider : 5.  I have heard before that a punch mark is put after the vin number if the recalls have been done.  Is this true for the 929 as well and does that mean all recalls were done?
The punch marks should be on the right side of the bike, near where the engine is bolted to the frame near the swingarm. (If you follow the rear subframe down and forward, it points right to the bolt in question.)

(See Attached Image)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
forgot to add I had approx 13000 klms in just short of two years, but I had two periods of not riding for several months due to 2 shoulder operations.
I had to take it back twice to have the cam chain tensioner replaced and speed / dash assembly replaced once

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Great bike, I like a torquey powerband though, so I got an RC51 instead. Never any problems...except the guardrail that ran into me.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
20,000 miles on my 01 Model until I traded it in.  @ 16k all valves were within spec, like CC said, nuttin' but oil changes and gas.  Great bike.  Great all around bike too, one of the best machines on the road IMHO.

Edit: long trips are no problem. I've done 500 mile days on it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I love my 929RR!

I have 14K miles on it and it's still going strong. I just change the oil, lube the chain, put gas, and go. Does have a tendency to power wheelie though, but most 900cc+ sport bikes do.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
6,500 miles and it finally feels like the motor is broken in. There's lots more life left in it. No problems whatsoever. Gas & oil, just like my last Honda

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Great bike....the only other bike I would have considered at the time was a CBR750RR......but Honda doesn't make it...:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've put 9k on my 929 in the 7 months that I've owned it. Only problem with the bike was the FI error indicator. Quick fix for the shop, and the bike is now 100%++

I wanted to get a Yama R1, if money were not a factor. If I win the Lottery this Wednesday that's what I will get but would keep the 929, cause it's a powerful chick magnet!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts