Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm 15, only 5' 6", and a girl and I just passed my permit test for my motorcycle. I've been driving my brother's 1993 Gl650 motorcycle, but it's a little bit to tall for me( the seat height is around 30-31 inches) and too heavy( weighing at about 550 pounds). I know a kawasaki ninja 250 is a good beginner bike, but what are some others with a little more power, but not over 650cc? I have found a CBR600F3 but is that still to big since it's wet weight is 450 pounds?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Try the Suzuki SV 650. Its a V-twin motor and easy to ride. Less power. Don't know about the height. It doesn't weight too much.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Okay so I'm 15, only 5' 6", and a girl and I just passed my permit test for my motorcycle. I've been driving my brother's 1993 Gl650 motorcycle, but it's a little bit to tall for me( the seat height is around 30-31 inches) and too heavy( weighing at about 550 pounds). I know a kawasaki ninja 250 is a good beginner bike, but what are some others with a little more power, but not over 650cc? I have found a CBR600F3 but is that still to big since it's wet weight is 450 pounds?
is there a specific "style" or size motorcycle you're looking for? there are cruiser bikes, sportbikes, enduros...

here's a 2014 CB500X: (420 lbs)

...and a 2013 Rebel 250: (330 lbs)

2014 CBR500R: (425 lbs)

there's a WIDE range of used machines too... now's a GREAT time to buy as prices are starting to come down toward the end of the season.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,205 Posts
Obviously your choices are going to be limited to a few things. The biggest is going to be budget. How much are you willing to spend on you first bike? New? Used? The CBR5 looks like a great first bike. But it's brand new. Not much to choose from at that point looking used. The 500 series is just getting reborn again. I would suggest maybe a vintage VF500F interceptor from the mid 80's?Maybe an older good condition FZR400 Yamaha? Even the older Suzuki GS500 or 550 from the late 90's? Gotta give us more of what you want or can afford.

The second is insurance cost. Sky high for a sport bike at 16 years old.

You will notice the weight factor kinda goes away once you get used to how turn and stop. Over time you'll get used to the weight of any bike you end up with. Good luck in the search!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I prefer the look of sport bikes so the suzuki sv650 looks really nice, as well as the CB500x, and CBR500R. So I'll keep my eye for any of the motorcycles you guys have suggested on Craigslist. My parents are willing to buy me my first motorcycle but have put me on a budget of about a $1,000 so basically I'm going to have to find one that needs work, and my dad and I will have to work on it together. When it comes to insurance my parents luckily don't make me pay. ?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,205 Posts
Another good idea would be Honda's older NT650 HawkGT. It's a V twin with a single sided swing arm. Very light and wicked narrow. Plus it's cool looking. Made in the late 80's.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Another good idea would be Honda's older NT650 HawkGT. It's a V twin with a single sided swing arm. Very light and wicked narrow. Plus it's cool looking. Made in the late 80's.

Ian is right. The NT650 HawkGT is the perfect bike to learn on. And to keep for the rest of your life. Not too powerful and handles like a dream.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
good luck, kiddo...:thumb: and make sure you come back and let us know (with pics) what you end up with, okay?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Good luck finding a Hawk! I've been looking for one of those for ages!
The SV650 is a great bike and very similar to the Hawk. They are light, look good and don't have intimidating power. I think they sit pretty low too as I've seen quite a few girls with them.
I started out on a 'standard' the GS450t. Great first bike!
Good luck and take a riders course! They really help! :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally found a motorcycle. It's not the prettiest but it was only $500. It's a 1995 kawasaki ninja 500r. When we bought it it wouldn't turn over or start, and after messing with it for a while it ended up being just a loss wire. It fits great. I can firmly plant both feet flat on the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a great project bike. The EX 500's are great starter bikes too! Of course after I said good luck finding a Hawk, I met a guy at the track who has two!

·
Registered
316 Posts
My daughter ( 20 yrs old ) rides motocross and can jump 50- 60 ft. table top jumps with no issues but I would be scared shitless if she decided to ride a motorcycle on the street. I am not judging anyone but knowing the rules of the road and having mad motorcycle skills is not the only thing to keep you alive. Be careful out there kid. I want to see you live. Honing your motorcycle skills in the dirt and honing your strret driving skills in a car make alot of sense.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Poison has it right. Definitely have to be very careful out there.
I got my first bike at 16 and got hit by a car when I was 18. Learned a good lesson about wearing gear that day as well, as I walked away from the crash unhurt.
Ride like you are invisible (assume no one sees you) and take a rider's course. They help. If you ride with anyone, don't get goaded into riding above your limits. I learned a lesson about that one as well... :rolleyes: I'll probably be giving the same talk to my little girl in about 6 years.
Have fun and be safe. :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha yeah. My dad has really instilled in me that it isn't going to be doing something stupid it's going to be someone else and they're going to be the one who hits me. Luckily where I live is very rural so there isn't a lot of traffic and I drive mostly back roads.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
No doubt! Your dad sounds like he knows some stuff. Bikes are a blast, but are pretty dangerous.
If I lived in a rural area I'd probably still ride on the street as well. You have a lot of nice roads down there. Just remember, take it slow, wear your gear (at LEAST a helmet), and ride your own ride.
When you get it ready, take some pics of the bike!
Congrats again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah my dad has been riding for like 30 years. So he has taught me how to be a defensive driver. Plus later he wants us both to take the advanced motorcycle course together to help improve my skills. I appreciate all the advice and when I get all the new fairings on it and it cleaned up. I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The advanced rider course is good. I took it back in 87 when i was in the Air Force and they still teach the same one today. You learn some pretty good skills and bike control. I advocate tracks days as well, as they really teach some of the advanced skills and what the bike is capable of, but that's probably getting a bit ahead since you just started riding. :D
An empty parking lot is also a pretty good place to practice things like panic stops and counter steering. Also if you haven't already, invest in the best full face helmet you can afford. They are worth their weight in gold. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts