Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have read in one of my earlier posts, I'm going to be swapping my swinger for a 954 unit which means I'll need to replace my chain, so I might as well change to a 520 at the same time. So...

I know each track has it's own better gear ratio setup, but what's the best overall front and rear sprocket selection/combination for a 929 on the street? Opinions and reasoning please.

TIA

·
Registered
219 Posts
i Have a 15t up front and the stock 43 in the back, not bad at all, a bit buzzy on the highway but nice pull through all the gears.

When my chain goes bad i'll probably go 16t up front and 46 or 47 on th back.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Up 1 or 2 teeth on the back. Down one in front is about equal to up 3 in back. I find 3 is too much for big bikes. Works good for 600s

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey repsol,

I personaly think its better to go more on the back then down on the front. The engine seems a bit more buzzy when u go one down in the front, plus i want to put my stock 16t back on cause it has a rubber padding on both sides of it.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
WildBillF1 : Wouldn't a couple of o-rings work in place of the rubber padding?
Hmm. I don't think so, as the rubber is incorporated into the sprocket, just to prevent some vibration and noise. I think adding O rings would add too much thickness and perhaps interfere with it's turning. I don't notice any problems running an AFAM countersprocket with no rubber padding; no extra noise or anything. I'm currently running a 15 front and 44 rear with the stock chain. I like it a lot better on the track, and it's not too bad on the street.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HondaGalToo : I like it a lot better on the track, and it's not too bad on the street.
'not too bad on the street'? What's the disadvantage of this combo on the street?

Also, can someone compare 16/46 to 15/45?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm interested in the answer to this question too...

so what is the disadvantage to running 16/44 or 16/45 on the street?

I don't mind hitting over 250kph every now and then so I don't want to completely kill the top end but I'd like a bigger pull low down since most of my riding is street/highway in traffic. I usually avoid lofting the front wheel so I although I want pull, I don't want a flipped bike.

What's better? 16/44 or 16/45? Or just plain old stock?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Yup, stock is 16/43.  The 15/44 combo I'm using is fine on the street, it just seems a little buzzier and of course I have to shift out of 1st and 2nd sooner.  Other than that, no real disadvantages.  It makes the rpms run maybe 500 or so more than the stock gearing.

Most folks change gearing for track use, which is why I did it. The stock gearing is way too tall for most tracks. For me, it made the slow, tighter turns better in second, whereas before first was too much, but second bogged down a bit. If you only street ride, the stock 16/43 is probably the best.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I changed to a 16/45 with a chain and sprocket replacement and like the results. I do track and street riding and the change helped both. The track that I ride at, Hallett Motor Racing Circuit has one 1st or 2nd rear corner depending on how you want to do it. I did not like using 1st and 2nd was to tall but with the change 2nd works better now. My 929 also seems to pull better everywhere and the rpm change was not that big. I have had the bike up to 160mph and it still pulls and does not hit the redline so IMHO the change was good for the riding that I do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts