Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little dilemma.

I'm in the process of making something that i should be able to patent, ( i've checked the canadian patent database, and haven't seen anything like it) and i'd like to sell the licensing once it's done. My dilemma is that even if i do get a patent going, whats to say that some company that has large resources, doesn't go out, and take my idea, and doesn't care about courts or fees because they know they could outlast most joe shmoes out there financially, hence the court case would end with them doing as they please.

Is there any protection out there for the little guys, without spending a fortune??? anyone patent anything??

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yes, but in the US and through my company. ALL of my comments will be in regards to US patent law. I don't know the differences between the US and Canada.

A patent for a large corporation costs about $50k. They take quite a while to get, like over a year. In the US, for small companies it's far cheaper, but it will still cost thousands.

A patent is not the right to manufacture something! It is only the right to prohibit another company from making your idea. This might seem like semantics, but it really does matter.

The first thing you need to do is get your idea written/diagrammed in a sewn notebook. Your description should be good enough that "someone schooled in the art" could recreate your invention from the patent. Sign and date it. Then take it, ASAP, to a notary and have it signed/witnessed. This is by FAR the most critical step.

After that, goto the Canadian Patent Office's website, and spend some time reading through it. The US's site is very helpful. There are also books to help private individuals through the patent process if you want some help there. After you think you're done, especially since you're interested in licensing, you probably need to talk to a patent attorney.

IMO, patents in some ways are overrated. Get your paperwork started, but really focus on getting a product made. I've met so many people so focused on the patent, and spending money on it trying to make it "ironclad", that they forget the real point was to make their invention. Even if you want to license it, you still need to make a prototype first.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
luvtolean said:
Yes, but in the US and through my company. ALL of my comments will be in regards to US patent law. I don't know the differences between the US and Canada.

A patent for a large corporation costs about $50k. They take quite a while to get, like over a year. In the US, for small companies it's far cheaper, but it will still cost thousands.

A patent is not the right to manufacture something! It is only the right to prohibit another company from making your idea. This might seem like semantics, but it really does matter.

The first thing you need to do is get your idea written/diagrammed in a sewn notebook. Your description should be good enough that "someone schooled in the art" could recreate your invention from the patent. Sign and date it. Then take it, ASAP, to a notary and have it signed/witnessed. This is by FAR the most critical step.

After that, goto the Canadian Patent Office's website, and spend some time reading through it. The US's site is very helpful. There are also books to help private individuals through the patent process if you want some help there. After you think you're done, especially since you're interested in licensing, you probably need to talk to a patent attorney.

IMO, patents in some ways are overrated. Get your paperwork started, but really focus on getting a product made. I've met so many people so focused on the patent, and spending money on it trying to make it "ironclad", that they forget the real point was to make their invention. Even if you want to license it, you still need to make a prototype first.

Good luck!
:rotfl: the real purpose of a patent is so you can go out of business and get bought by a gaggle of lawyers who then go and make everyone miserable years after the fact trying to get rich.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Or doing a search of the LASER patent could show you how important your notebook can be.

If you want to license something, you gotta patent it. Just remember it's your product that adds value, not the patent. The patent is just ammo for court.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts