Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I just recently disassembled both of my wheels to get them powder coated, after the coating I've now assembled the wheels and wonder if the bearings are installed correctly.

Both haynes' and the shop manual says to "install them and make sure they are completely seated". Now, this spacer inside the wheel is actually longer than the distance between the two bearing cups. Afterwards I tried rotating the bearings and they were a little bit stiff, the inner spacer is quite tight between the bearings and it rotates together with the bearings. If I install the axle on the wheel and give it a spin, the bearings do work as intended. The bearings themselves have no resistance, the inner spacer is making them stiff. I replaced both bearings sets with new ones.

Is this normal or should I have done the assembly as instructed here? Checkout how to set the inner spacer clearance.

Motorcycle Wheel Bearings | All Balls Bearings and Components

·
Registered
752 Posts
Powerslave, nice I like it!

Are you sure that they are the correct replacement bearings? It's a pretty straightforward job. Make sure the bearings are not cocked and you have the correct spacer on the correct side and it's orientated the correct way. Make sure to follow the torque spec's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I am quite sure they're the correct ones because I ordered them from a respected finnish dealer and I had to choose the bike's model & year to get the specific parts list.

The bearings looked fine after I unboxed them. I may have been a little bit unclear but the wheels are not and never were installed on the swingarm/shocks with these new bearings. I just inserted the axle through the wheel to check how it was rotating.

So the question now is that should the bearings be installed as the web site guides or as the manual says; "till they are completely seated"? Have you worried about this clearance that the site mentions or not?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have always followed the manual and had no worries. Once you have it mounted up I suspect you'll see that all is well and it will rotate fine.

Here's some info jacked from another thread, compliments of mr305.

For re-installing the front wheel.

1. loosen the axel and pinch bolts on the forks.
2. tighten up the axel nut.
3. tighten up the pinch bolts on the side opposite from where the axel is inserted from.
4. pull the front brake and bounce the front forks up and down several times.
5. tighten up the other pinch bolts.

This should fix the problem if the front wheel was removed and re-installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts