Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back again, it's been hectic, but I finally got the new house and all settled down so I decided to give the blade a little makeover :eyebrows: Just ordered all new plastics (white/black) to replace the previous gold, re-wrapping the seat to match, and found someone that's going to powdercoat the wheels white for next to nothing for me. Now for the problem:

The previous owner, for some god forsaken reason, decided it would be a good idea to replace the pinch bolts with allen bolts (one of which is super stripped before I've even gotten to mess with it) Fortunately enough I was able to get 3 of the 4 off so far and have my bike elevated with a jackstand under each side of the swingarm and a truck tire under the middle...don't laugh, it's stable as can be! What I can't figure out is which way to get the axle bolt out?! It's beveled on what I'll call the "clutch side" (while sitting on the bike it would be the left) so I can't just pound it through that way, and I'm unable to get to the holes on either side to wiggle out from the end of the axle...please send some pointers or direct me to a thread that contains a good DIY, I searched and googled and was unsucessful in both =(

·
Registered
80 Posts
What year is the bike? Front or rear?
As far as left and right goes it is the same as a car. The left side is your left when sitting on the bike or in the driver seat of a car; the right is your right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry stiffer, should've been more specific, it's a 2002 954, and at the moment, it's the front, calipers are off and secured already...I do have the service manual, but in this instance it isn't much help as it just say's "remove axle bolt" thank you!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I take it you mean the axle pinch bolts? If so, they all do that, sir, especially if left for a while. I had to hacksaw mine in the middle fork split, that lets you get the axle and wheel out at least. With that out and the mudguard released, you can turn the bottom of the fork to see the tapped part of the leg. Then its the drill I'm afraid, if you are careful you might preserve enough of the thread to reuse, if not, tap out to a larger size. Bet you put it back together with Copa-slip?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take it you mean the axle pinch bolts? If so, they all do that, sir, especially if left for a while. I had to hacksaw mine in the middle fork split, that lets you get the axle and wheel out at least. With that out and the mudguard released, you can turn the bottom of the fork to see the tapped part of the leg. Then its the drill I'm afraid, if you are careful you might preserve enough of the thread to reuse, if not, tap out to a larger size. Bet you put it back together with Copa-slip?
Even though it's going to be a pain, I'm not worried about the axle pinch bolt as much as I am to which way I need to pull the axle itself out?

·
Registered
848 Posts
The axle comes out to the left or opposite of the axle nut. If you have the axle nut and 3 pinch bolts removed the axle should almost come out unless the previous tightened the hell out of the pinch bolt. Try tapping it from the right.

The pinch bolt should be easy to remove. If you have a chisel or sharp edge screwdriver and a hammer. Place the chisel tip on the outer edge of the pinch bolt at an angle towards the right side and tap with the hammer. You will cut a small groove in the outer edge to grip the bolt and turn it. A few taps should loosen the bolt to where you can continue to tap it counterclockwise until it is loosens enough to turn by hand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
:thumb:Good suggustion Backdoc. This happen to my 636. I was able to get the axle out. Took a pair of locking vise-grips and sqeezed the fork tube together a littel to release some tension. Then took another pair of vise-grips and grabbed the bolt-head and loosed it up. I think i sprayed WD40 or penatrating oil to loosen things up a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts