Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post, and I kinda hate to start with such a commonly asked question (about wheels), but I'm looking for a little more specific info.

I'm about to pick up a 929 with an extra couple sets of wheels. I know the 954 and 1000RR wheels will fit with no modification...but I'm not a huge fan of the 3-spoke design. As such, I'm wondering if Yamaha or Kawasaki have bikes with similar dimensions for their wheels? Yamaha makes nice 5 spokes, and Kawi has some great designs (like the ZX10's rims). Also, many Ducati's came with Marchesini's stock that look amazing, although I'm pretty sure they won't bolt up without major modification. I don't mind swapping bearings and stuff, but fabricating collars and spacers is a bit beyond my abilities.

So...anything out of the ordinary bolt-up to our bikes? Or am I 'stuck' with getting some 1000RR wheels?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
You could just order some aftermarket wheels. Save on weight and bump up on style.
Oh, and welcome to the org

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm about to pick up a 929 with an extra couple sets of wheels. I know the 954 and 1000RR wheels will fit with no modification...but I'm not a huge fan of the 3-spoke design. As such, I'm wondering if Yamaha or Kawasaki have bikes with similar dimensions for their wheels? Yamaha makes nice 5 spokes, and Kawi has some great designs (like the ZX10's rims). Also, many Ducati's came with Marchesini's stock that look amazing, although I'm pretty sure they won't bolt up without major modification. I don't mind swapping bearings and stuff, but fabricating collars and spacers is a bit beyond my abilities.

So...anything out of the ordinary bolt-up to our bikes? Or am I 'stuck' with getting some 1000RR wheels?
Nothing that I'm aware of.
The 929/954 run 330mm dics which are at least 10mm larger diameter than any other bike. As long as you're happy running 320mm or 310mm dics you should be able to run just about any modern front wheel. You would have to ensure the overall width across the discs is the same as the 929 which might require spacing the discs or the caliper mounts to match. If you need to fit larger ID bearings you will also have to make a new centre spacer to fit the axle (two for the rear wheel) as well as the external spacers.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
You could just order some aftermarket wheels. Save on weight and bump up on style.
Oh, and welcome to the org
If you want to reduce weight don't get aluminium aftermarket wheels as they're not much lighter and some are actually heavier than OEM wheels.
Go magnesium or carbon. And be aware that carbon wheels still require metal cores to accept bolts and bearings. The cores can be aluminium or magnesium. Carbon/magnesium are the lightest possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing that I'm aware of.
The 929/954 run 330mm dics which are at least 10mm larger diameter than any other bike. As long as you're happy running 320mm or 310mm dics you should be able to run just about any modern front wheel. You would have to ensure the overall width across the discs is the same as the 929 which might require spacing the discs or the caliper mounts to match. If you need to fit larger ID bearings you will also have to make a new centre spacer to fit the axle (two for the rear wheel) as well as the external spacers.

Awesome! I don't think there'd be much difference between a clean 320 and 330mm disc - there's usually a bit of overrun anyway. I'm assuming most rears between the recent mainstream Japanese 4 literbikes should be the same as well? Probably different sprocket/carrier patterns, maybe different axel sizes?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Awesome! I don't think there'd be much difference between a clean 320 and 330mm disc - there's usually a bit of overrun anyway. I'm assuming most rears between the recent mainstream Japanese 4 literbikes should be the same as well? Probably different sprocket/carrier patterns, maybe different axel sizes?
I've run 320mm 1000RR discs with no problems.
As far as I'm aware all the recent Jap sportsbikes are running 25mm axles front and rear.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A bit late maybe, but I can tell you that the RC51 rear is a direct swap and the front can be fitted if you swap the wheel bearings to suit the larger FireBlade axle size. The front discs are a direct swap also - you will need the correct size for the bike or the calipers won't fit the disc correctly. IOW, you'll need to put the 'Blade's 330mm discs on the RC51 front wheel.

The RC51 of course uses 5 spoke wheels. Does that suit your tastes better?

I put FireBlade 954 wheels in my SP-1 (and later to its replacement SP-2) as I like the 3 spoke design so I know that will fit both models, i.e. all RC51's in the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts