Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I have the 2001 929 and I was needing to know real quick if the wheels are powder coated or painted from the factory? This is so I will know which route to take for stripping them. If factory painted like someone told me they may be, then aircraft stripper will work, if powder coated then I'll probably have to take them to get sand blasted. Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard the stuff wouldn't do much for the powder coating, a polisher said some wheels were painted from the factory and some were pc'd but he wasn't sure which ones.

Thanks for the info, anyone else know about the wheels for sure? I just don't want to get started and find out I can't get it off and have to sandblast and make it even rougher.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never heard of wheels that're painted from the factory. I know I've gotten brake fluid on mine without damaging the surface, so I suspect powdercoat.
Thanks Junkie

Im thinking so too, I always thought factory was pc'd but this guy said he had some that wasn't so.. anyway I found a couple of local companies that will strip for $55 a wheel, well worth it to me.

Question.. are the wheel bearings easy to get in and out, getting the 1st one out would be the hardest im sure. Are they pretty snug in there?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why do you want to take them down completely if your respraying?
the factory paint is so strong, all it needs is a good scuffing with a good 400 - 600 grit paper,seal your bearings, spray MS primer , once dry flat with soapy water &600 grit paper then once smooth a nice Grey primer, again flat it with water and a smooth paper 800 - 1000 grit, then spray final.

Done mine over a year ago, still great.

H

I do sandblasting, stripping, spraying and powder.
My personal feeling on powder on rims, aluminum, I don't like to heat treat to much.
But hey as I said thats my personal feeling.

Save your $$$$$ on both stripping and bearings unless they're poked.:hmm:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do you want to take them down completely if your respraying?
the factory paint is so strong, all it needs is a good scuffing with a good 400 - 600 grit paper,seal your bearings, spray MS primer , once dry flat with soapy water &600 grit paper then once smooth a nice Grey primer, again flat it with water and a smooth paper 800 - 1000 grit, then spray final.

Done mine over a year ago, still great.

H

I do sandblasting, stripping, spraying and powder.
My personal feeling on powder on rims, aluminum, I don't like to heat treat to much.
But hey as I said thats my personal feeling.

Save your $$$$$ on both stripping and bearings unless they're poked.:hmm:
Had to reread your post and mine to make sure I didn't miss word it, I did not say I was respraying, going to polish the wheels. Thanks for the info though and trying to save me some $$, I could always use that help. lol:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up my back wheel last Fri and to my surprise it looked good enough to run like it is. The outside lip all the way to the center section except for the 2" roughed up section is machined nicely and almost looks like it has a clear coat. I couldn't believe how shiny that part was. I kinda like the look of it being shiny on the outside lip and rough on spoke area with a siver grey look. I will get some close up pics for those of you that have been thinking of doing this, plus I didn't know the wheels were made by Enkei.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used aircraft paint stripper (dont get any in your eyes) from my local auto parts store, let it sit for a minute or two and the paint just comes right off the rims. I used black rim paint on the centers and rim clear coat over the whole rim after I polished out the rest of the rim. Looks pretty awesome. :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used aircraft paint stripper (dont get any in your eyes) from my local auto parts store, let it sit for a minute or two and the paint just comes right off the rims. I used black rim paint on the centers and rim clear coat over the whole rim after I polished out the rest of the rim. Looks pretty awesome. :thumb:
Do you have any pictures? sounds pretty sharp...how much work was it to polish ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ill take some pics and post'em up when I get a minute...

In terms of work... its just time consuming, especially because I decided to sand the rough portion of the rim just to go the extra mile :idunno:. It took me a few days of leisurely sanding into into the night hours after work, when I was done I had some beautiful rims and no fingerprints left on either hand.

But I do love my rims so very much... time to replace them with something aftermarket and expensive :eyebrows:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill take some pics and post'em up when I get a minute...

In terms of work... its just time consuming, especially because I decided to sand the rough portion of the rim just to go the extra mile :idunno:. It took me a few days of leisurely sanding into into the night hours after work, when I was done I had some beautiful rims and no fingerprints left on either hand.

But I do love my rims so very much... time to replace them with something aftermarket and expensive :eyebrows:
Nice, the Honda wheels have a lot of writing on them making it more difficult for sanding and polishing, but im sure its worth it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance for I have a '00 Honda 929 & a '03 Honda 954 & had assumed the wheels were factory painted. Nothing seems to come off in rough use & I liked them in BLACK for a few yrs ago EVERYONE had to have WHITE wheels that really showed up the dirt, to some going like mad to polish them to others having them chromed to some poweder coated.

I tend to leave the bike, of appearance in normal form. Only changes on both is Kevlar front brakes lines along with Scotts steering head damper & a suitable petrol tank bag, for 95% of my riding is up in these Cdn Rocky Mountains I live in. I do not putter around town on a m/c.

Costly I will agree like petrol, oil, tyres, sprockets to chains & finally both batteries have had to be replaced which is pretty good for the 929 to have lasted ten years, thanks to a Battery Tender, but the '03 954 only lasted 7 yrs. So that is life for you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for my ignorance for I have a '00 Honda 929 & a '03 Honda 954 & had assumed the wheels were factory painted. Nothing seems to come off in rough use & I liked them in BLACK for a few yrs ago EVERYONE had to have WHITE wheels that really showed up the dirt, to some going like mad to polish them to others having them chromed to some poweder coated.

I tend to leave the bike, of appearance in normal form. Only changes on both is Kevlar front brakes lines along with Scotts steering head damper & a suitable petrol tank bag, for 95% of my riding is up in these Cdn Rocky Mountains I live in. I do not putter around town on a m/c.

Costly I will agree like petrol, oil, tyres, sprockets to chains & finally both batteries have had to be replaced which is pretty good for the 929 to have lasted ten years, thanks to a Battery Tender, but the '03 954 only lasted 7 yrs. So that is life for you.
:idunno:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.