Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the news and they said it is that time of year again the "fire season" Is this like fall,winter,spring, & summer?:huh:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
We get an "Indian Summer" in California that usually starts after the first cold spell (you know what a cold spell is, Right? about 65 degrees :p ) in mid to late September. Sometimes it will be the hottest time of the entire year and dryest also. It will usually last a month or so. This one is mild.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nedro said:
We get an "Indian Summer" in California that usually starts after the first cold spell (you know what a cold spell is, Right? about 65 degrees :p ) in mid to late September. Sometimes it will be the hottest time of the entire year and dryest also. It will usually last a month or so. This one is mild.
I've been in Cali since 99 and untill last year I never heard anyone talking about a fire season. I guess 99 to 03 we had good years.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
:huh: Really? I guess living in areas where fires are frequent, and as a hiker, I took it for granted...but I've always heard about it.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I've been here for over 42 years and I must say that the last 10 years or so have been anything but typical. But a-typical seems to be what's going on these days with global warming.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
luvtolean said:
:huh: Really? I guess living in areas where fires are frequent, and as a hiker, I took it for granted...but I've always heard about it.
I've seen some small fires on the news from time to time, but now it seams like an every day thing.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I grew up in Sierra Madre and for as long as I can remember, fire season meant late August through late September/mid October. I spent quite a few hours on our roof hosing down the shingles during some of the larger fires.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Our "fire season" starts in the late spring.
The reason we hear so much more about it these days is the houses are closer to "fire areas", as well as more people to start those fires.
That said, our season this year has seen many less major fires than typical.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
abtech said:
I grew up in Sierra Madre and for as long as I can remember, fire season meant late August through late September/mid October. I spent quite a few hours on our roof hosing down the shingles during some of the larger fires.
When I was a kid in the 50's we lived in the San Gabriel Valley - The Mountains to the north were often ablaze in the early fall. It looked pretty apocalyptic to the 'duck and cover' generation. Though we were miles away, my friends and I spent many hours soaking my sisters and their friends with squirt guns 'just in case'. I didn't get the impression that they appreciated it, though..

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Speaking of fires we could see the glow last night. Cars covered in ash today.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I will take the bait.. These fires have nothing to do with global warming other than the extra heat a discarded cigarette can provide. These fires are being set either by careless people, accident, or arson. The one in my area was a truck catching on fire on the side of the freeway. The one in Riverside was buy some guys welding on a chicken ranch. Sparks ignited the grass and away it went. Hardly the work of Global Warming..
Fig

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Fig said:
I will take the bait.. These fires have nothing to do with global warming other than the extra heat a discarded cigarette can provide. These fires are being set either by careless people, accident, or arson. The one in my area was a truck catching on fire on the side of the freeway. The one in Riverside was buy some guys welding on a chicken ranch. Sparks ignited the grass and away it went. Hardly the work of Global Warming..
Fig
But most Europeans who were polled, blame Bush and America's failure to commit to the Koyoto Accords as the reason for the season. :rolleyes:

Second major fire within two years to come close to my house. We had our cars packed and were just waiting for the winds to change. It's a part of life out here and I've always seen that. Like others I spent many nights and days watering the roof before the new cement roofs were around.

This is from one of my office locations

Attachments

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I wasn't fishin'. I was just making an innocent comment on how the weather, at least the west coast, has changed in the last ten years or so as compared to the last almost half century that I've been here (or at least the last 35 years or so that I remember). It had nothing to do with politics or what is causing it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Crash said:
But most Europeans who were polled, blame Bush and America's failure to commit to the Koyoto Accords as the reason for the season. :rolleyes:
Well, that's great, but what does the average European know about the environment (or Californias seasonal trends)? What does the average American know? How do any of their opinions matter on these topics when you're trying to find causation?

While I think Bush's move on Koyoto (amongst other things) is pretty crappy, I don't think in any recorded history has the southwest US been a particularly damp region come the end of summer. From my meager undertanding of forestry, it's been the lack of regular burning that contributes most of the hazard/volume in these situations.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My mom grew up in L.A. , and she says the smog now is much better than it was when she was growing up. Of course, the L.A. Basin geography has a lot to do with the smog. I guarantee you Mt. St. Helens belched out more smog than L.A. could think about creating. I just spoke with her, and she confirmed that she's always remembered a fire season. It's followed by a rainy season where since the brush has burnt away, we are riddled with houses sliding down hills.
Fig

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, the air seems better to even me over the last 20+ years in the state.

The Kyoto treaty is garbage. I was very glad Bush kept us out of that circle jerk.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mojave954 said:
How could you not have heard about last years fires. They were all over and the angeles forest almost burnt to the ground. Caused some major mudslides when the rains came too.
from 99 to 03 there where no major fires like there is now:idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
In the state there have been, they just didn't effect you. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts