Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 900rr. I don't know if the valve shims have ever been checked or anything. It has 22k miles, and was somewhat abused when I bought it. I have no issues, accept a very light valve noise that can be heard, and I mean light, but nothing crazy at all. Just wondering if it would be a waste of time to open her up and check the clearances. Are there any indicators of when the valve shims need to be redone? Also, I have a set of 135 main jets I have been holding onto and I want to put them in. I think I would need to drop the needle to #4 position, but what about the air mixture screws. How many turns out? What real gain would I see from these change?:idunno:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well it doesn't take an extremely long time to check the valves and at 22000 miles I recommend you bite the bullet. It can save you thousands of $ compared to waiting for them to be wrong and tear up cams and valves.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,552 Posts
I have a 99 900rr. I don't know if the valve shims have ever been checked or anything. It has 22k miles, and was somewhat abused when I bought it. I have no issues, accept a very light valve noise that can be heard, and I mean light, but nothing crazy at all. Just wondering if it would be a waste of time to open her up and check the clearances. Are there any indicators of when the valve shims need to be redone? Also, I have a set of 135 main jets I have been holding onto and I want to put them in. I think I would need to drop the needle to #4 position, but what about the air mixture screws. How many turns out? What real gain would I see from these change?:idunno:
Pretty sure the maintenance interval to inspect the clearances is 16k. And even if you inspect them doesn't mean you'll be changing any out, but it's possible. The 135 mains probably won't net you much, especially if she's running well right now without them. And by dropping the needle ( that means your leaning it out) vs dropping the clip which would raise the needle and richen it up. Can't say that will be good or bad either. I had 142 mains in my original 93 build but I had the Factory Pro Airbox Plus kit, ported/flowed head and a 5mm over bore. Unless you have serious mods to the engine I would leave as is. IMHO.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it doesn't take an extremely long time to check the valves and at 22000 miles I recommend you bite the bullet. It can save you thousands of $ compared to waiting for them to be wrong and tear up cams and valves.
Thanks zfrilly! I think I am going to bite the bullet! I really don't want anything to happen to my baby!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure the maintenance interval to inspect the clearances is 16k. And even if you inspect them doesn't mean you'll be changing any out, but it's possible. The 135 mains probably won't net you much, especially if she's running well right now without them. And by dropping the needle ( that means your leaning it out) vs dropping the clip which would raise the needle and richen it up. Can't say that will be good or bad either. I had 142 mains in my original 93 build but I had the Factory Pro Airbox Plus kit, ported/flowed head and a 5mm over bore. Unless you have serious mods to the engine I would leave as is. IMHO.
Dr. Doohan! I have no idea why "Doctor" comes to mind when I see your name. When I go to check the shims, if I have to replace any, what size shims would I need? Also, what manufacture? Does the manufacture make a difference? I have seen HotShims before, but really what is the difference? I have never done this, but I am very mechanically inclined. ALso, while the cover is off, any mods I can do that is relatively inexpensive? I would love to bore that that thing out, but out my realm of funds for now! Also, when I pull the cover off, should I get an OEM gasket to put back on, or should I use the gasket stuff from an auto parts store? I don't want to buy cheap sh!t. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
you would select a replacement shim based on the clearance measured and the existing shim. get a workshop manual - the process is described in there.

a shim is a shim is a shim.... it just has to be the right diameter and thickness.

if you are hearing a valve noise this would indicate healthy valves. on a bucket over shim motor the clearances will tighten with wear, not loosen like your old OHV V8s.

boring out the 918 is not simple as the bores are plated.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
At 22K miles, I wouldn't wait any longer. Chances are you will need to swap some around, or even buy one or two shims to get to spec. You REALLY need to use a manual for this. Then It will become clear what shims you need to buy or swap based on your measurements of clearance.
If you have to remove the buckets and shims, use a magnet on top of the bucket, that will help hold the shim and keep it from falling down into the head.

·
7,552 Posts
The Dr. is in. hahahha Anyhow, just to give you an idea as to whats involved, I'm attempting to upload the procedure. I was always able to talk my dealer into swapping their service shims with shims I was taking out. The Honda shims are expensive, but as said above a shim is a shim is a shim. There is a formula to figure out what shim size you need, based on what the clearance measures at, what the limit is, and what shim you already have in there. As far as mods go, you are only removing the cam cover (obvious other parts need to come out to get to the cam cover, but nothing you will be replacing as upgrades). The gasket is rubber and can be reused with sealant used in specific areas, basically the half moon jobs on either end of the gasket. Please be aware that this is representation from American Honda and not me, there is a whole section on how to remove the cams, etc that is not in here. This strictly shows how to check and adjust. And now I know why guys don't like scanning this stuff in, it takes forever!!!! Good luck Blademan! Let me know if you need more info, but right now I have to run to the ER for an emergency tire change...........:eyebrows: Here we go:

View attachment 99 Valve Inspection.pdf

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Dr. is in. hahahha Anyhow, just to give you an idea as to whats involved, I'm attempting to upload the procedure. I was always able to talk my dealer into swapping their service shims with shims I was taking out. The Honda shims are expensive, but as said above a shim is a shim is a shim. There is a formula to figure out what shim size you need, based on what the clearance measures at, what the limit is, and what shim you already have in there. As far as mods go, you are only removing the cam cover (obvious other parts need to come out to get to the cam cover, but nothing you will be replacing as upgrades). The gasket is rubber and can be reused with sealant used in specific areas, basically the half moon jobs on either end of the gasket. Please be aware that this is representation from American Honda and not me, there is a whole section on how to remove the cams, etc that is not in here. This strictly shows how to check and adjust. And now I know why guys don't like scanning this stuff in, it takes forever!!!! Good luck Blademan! Let me know if you need more info, but right now I have to run to the ER for an emergency tire change...........:eyebrows: Here we go:

Good Morning Dr. Doohan, :rotfl:. Thank you very much for uploading all of that information, you rock! I am going to order some shims this week and maybe do this in the next couple of weekends. Still not sure which shims to order before hand? I will keep you posted, and thanks again for your help!:plus1:

·
7,552 Posts
No problem, you won't know what to order until you pull the cams and see what's already in there. That's the crapy part, if you need to order shims you can't until you get your measurement, pull the old shim and get the size, do the equation, and then that's when you know what the new shim size will be. Sucks, I know. :crap:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem, you won't know what to order until you pull the cams and see what's already in there. That's the crapy part, if you need to order shims you can't until you get your measurement, pull the old shim and get the size, do the equation, and then that's when you know what the new shim size will be. Sucks, I know. :crap:

Man that does suck! That will drive me crazy! I love riding my bike.:crying:Hey this 135 jets, I will never use them, do you want them? They are brand new in the package. If you want them, just PM me your address and I will send them to you! The least I can do for helping me out!:thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I checked my shims at 21k miles and I had to replace 4, its a crap job to do but make sure you write down what shims you have in what bucket then next time it will be easy.worst job was lining up the inlet cam marks with the frame in the way

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I checked my shims at 21k miles and I had to replace 4, its a crap job to do but make sure you write down what shims you have in what bucket then next time it will be easy.worst job was lining up the inlet cam marks with the frame in the way

Use a mirror.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts