Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The crying has now subsided.
I have now come to grips with the fact that the .... 954 .... is gone.
Did I fail her or did she fail m$... no, she was perfect!
I should have protected her better!!!
Can I still look into her eyes with the same feelings, ... I don't know?
I am sorry, it was my fault.
Yes, she has a younger sister coming of age, named '***1000', but that may be still to close to home.

For some reason I feel myself being drawn to the robust cousin.
Yes, she may be a little over weight and slightly under powered (but from what I heard she cleans up good) but I  think the pull to the dark side may be to difficult to combat.

The RC is still a Honda .............right?

HPower  (bleeding a little extra red than usual)

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
You have obviously been taking 'Hemingway' lessons from Chain!  Whatever, good luck on your decision - If I had the $$, I would probably upgrade to the 1000 also   .

Edit: Oops, guess I thought you were talking 'bout the 1000RR.  Now, if you're talkin' 'bout the RC51 then,   .  J/K, good luck on whatever Honda you move to   .

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
H, how about biting the bullet and wait for next yr.

Then decide between the RC51 and CBR1000.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Bacchus : You have obviously been taking 'Hemingway' lessons from Chain!  
I should have trademarked that moniker....

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
There is so much RC talk now on the board.

here is how it was for me.

In 2000 I was going to buy a 929, or a RC51...I went with what I knew, and made the 929 mine!!! 2.5 years later, after never a poor moment with the 929, she was taken from me during the night. I was never going to get another bike, because I was so upset...I was (and still am more then I will admit) so attached to the bike! If I was only home...that bike would still be mine today. but, its gone.

I went through the end of fall, and winter...when spring came along, the smell of bike season in the air....I knew I could never make it with out a bike in my life. I had always like the RC51, there was just something about it. Its a little porky, but...its a RC...its a twin.

So I shopped around for a bit, hoping to find a stock used 02 some where out there...then I made a good deal on a 03 sitting in the showroom. I never planned on getting it that day, but I did! In the back of the truck she went!

To this day I am happy I gave the RC a shot. Its very stable, and over all, a hero bike. I feel that I have improved my riding style more then 10-20% this season alone.

I have started to do some mods here and there, starting with Sato Banzi's and a PCIIIR. The RC sends the natives running with fear now! Barks so hard it sends pitbulls yelping! (yeah I ride with earplugs now) I am saving for other mods, forks, shock, rearsets, damper, wheels...but that raffle I am going to win soon will help! (yeah right, I wish)

Also, tons of people get all bent out of shape (literly) about the RC51 seat...whatever. The seat is not that bad. It IS the hardest seat I have ever had on a bike, but my butt can take it! hours of enjoyment!

(*right here i did a spell check and lost half of my post*)

Anyway, if you have had the itch for the RC...it is not just going to go away...your going to need to get one. Ride one, in the twisties (thats what I live for) and you will see what so many of us are talking about. besides, it a Honda, fit and finish are 110%! She will not let you down!

There is the CBR1000 year...so you might want to watch the stats to see what you want in a inline 4...but if you want a twin, it does not get too much better then the RC for the money!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys,
Thanks for the words.
showmethebombs, by the sounds of it you know where I'm coming from.
At first I thought that I should wait till the spring and have a look at the new 1000RR, now I am leaning to the RC.
This week I have come across 2 almost new RC51s.

The 1st is a 2001 with 350km and warrenty untill next July. Some guy bought it and hated it, and has just traded it in on a 600RR. The dealer wants $10,000cnd.

The 2nd is a 2002 with 900km and no warrenty remaining. This is a private sale with a asking price of $11,500cnd. The owner of this one can't afford the insurance and is looking to buy a house.

These 2 bikes are both 'as brand new' and completely stock, the only real difference is SP1 vs SP2.
How much better is the SP2?

I am going to ride the 2001 on Friday and see what all the difference of opinion is all about.
If I come away impressed with the twin, I will pull the trigger and try to squeeze the last month out of our fading riding season.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
If there's not that much difference in price, go for the SP2 over the SP1. Swingarm and a few other bits are improved.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
tigerblade : If there's not that much difference in price, go for the SP2 over the SP1.  Swingarm and a few other bits are improved.
Tigerblade is right on, the sp2 does have a few extra goodies, but not too many the untrained eye would see.  

HP, it was the right move for me...I wanted a bike I could really bang out corners with and not feel like I was going wiggle right off the road with.  The RC added weight played right into what I wanted.  I love it...and the pipes made it so much more!  

all kidding aside, it feels very similar in power to what my 929 felt like.  The power curve is in a very different place...the RC really piles it on late in the game! High RPMs stomp out the power! The low WHUMPing sound of the pipes makes it seem effortless as it pushes me around town, and though the mountains!  

Good Luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
showme, thanks for the input.
It sounds like Sato is the way to go for the RC. Did you get yours dyno'd/tuned or just went with Dan's mapping?
How much for the pc/exhaust?

The 02 is $1500 more than the 01 but because the 02 will be a private sale the tax savings will bring the 02 only $500 or $700 more than the 01.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate with tomorrows test ride.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I thought the 'Darkside' on this board always refered to YA-MA-HA. Thier is no darkside when moving within the Honda family.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
roadrunner954 : I thought the 'Darkside' on this board always refered to YA-MA-HA. Thier is no darkside when moving within the Honda family.
True, the RC51 is the GAY side.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
HPower : The 02 is $1500 more than the 01 but because the 02 will be a private sale the tax savings will bring the 02 only $500 or $700 more than the 01.
And I am sure you can talk the private seller down a few bills off of his asking price.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts