Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I wanted to see what you guys felt is a better deal. I sold my 01 929 to get some cash and was planning to buy a cheaper bike for the mean time. I currently have two to choose from and they both seem appealing but I'm at a stalemate. Anyone have any input?

Bike # 1) 1999 CBR600F4, mileage 16K, after market slip-on, condition pretty good (7.5 out of 10). $3650

Bike #2) 1996 CBR900RR, mileage 22K, after market slip-on, condition pretty good (8 out of 10). $3500

Both have clean titles. The 900RR has never been down. The F4 has had a low side slide but all parts were fixed. So any ideas? -Thanks!

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
You've already owned a 929. To me it all boils down to whether or not you want to give up the low and mid-range torque/power by going to the 600. I've owned 2 CBR600's, one of them an F4i. Although great bikes, I personally could never go back to the constant shifting to keep it in the powerband. If possible (if you haven't already) ride someone's 600 and go from there. Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You think those have high mileage? I guess they could be better but I didn't think they were that bad. When the mileage goes down the price goes up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are looking for a track bike (ie corner speed) the 600. Otherwise there is no question 900rr. I can't imagine the disapointment going from a 929 to 600. This is my opinion though. BTW nothing against Honda (don't have a 750) but a 750 is a nice balance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 900RR has the stock Yellow/Purple/White combo. It's an OK color. Personally I'd like the Erion or the Red but I think the Yellow is OK.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
No question the 900rr.

I owned 600, 900 and 929.
I miss my old 99rr.

miles are high, but not really either.
look around the site, we all have huge miles on the bikes.

I think the 900 is the way to go, they are bulletproof.
besides, mc's can take way way more miles then what those have on them.
Have a shop look at it to make sure.
At best, maybe a clutch and camchain& tensioner(to be safe),oil change and coolent replacement might be needed.

If you are handy, about $150-200 bucks tops and she should be fine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The 900 sounds like the better maintained bike, but it has more miles and is 3 years older. I owned a 1999 F4 before I bought my 954 at the end of April, so I know a little bit about them. My gut tells me to take the 900 if those are the only two bikes you have narrowed it down to, but make sure you know what each bike feels like. The F4 is a much more comfortable bike than the 900 to me. They are a great bike, but not nearly as forgiving as the F4. With your riding experience, and the fact that the 900 has more torque for around town, I would lean towards that.

Let us know what you decide. If it were me, I would also try to find something with less miles. I've seen F4's with half the miles of the one you list here sell for under $4000. I'd look around a little more.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I'm not a fan of the 900RR's chassis so I'd go with the 600. But I sure would wish for the power of the 900...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went and bought the 900RR. I got it down to $3400. The bike is overall in good condition but I had noticed a problem and I will definitely have to address ASAP. The right front shock is leaking, the left seems OK. Other than that it needs some freshing up, I think a tune up will take care of that. The bike has been sitting for about a year and the carbs seem way out of sync. I'll have to spend a little time and $ to get her polished up. I'm going to start another thread about the shocks that I will have to have worked on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts