Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That's a great clip. I wonder if the R1 rider had to hold back at all to avoid getting clipped by the car?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That clip sucks! The dude on the R1 was totally sandbagging! Didn't even drop a knee!!

That and having the car bouncing around next to you would be REALLY distracting. Now if it wasn't British I might have taken them seriously.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Meow... from the old board, I think.

It turned into a contact patch discussion...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It was part of the discussion, not sure if its beginning.

Eventually the concensus was reached that ultimately the best car would beat the best bike because of the difference in grip afforded by the disparity in contact patches of both.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
'I'm not going to be riding the bike because I am a heterosexual.....and I don't like wearing rubber trousers....'

'Hopefully Jason, with his ass-engined car will demonstrate that Britain's motor-bicyclists are a bunch of wusses....'

'So that's it for now...bikers everywhere can Shut Up!'

·
Registered
441 Posts
I resently raced a bike through a canyon near me in my M3 and the guy could easily pull me on the staights but under braking and cornering I could catch up no problem and he was holding me up even though he was leaned over pretty far. In the video though the guy on the bike could have cornered a bit faster but then again they should have put him up against a twin turbo not just the regular carrara 4. Like he said the Carrera 2 is even faster then the 4 because they weight 200 pounds less.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OntheEdge : I resently raced a bike through a canyon near me in my M3 and the guy could easily pull me on the staights but under braking and cornering I could catch up no problem and he was holding me up even though he was leaned over pretty far. In the video though the guy on the bike could have cornered a bit faster but then again they should have put him up against a twin turbo not just the regular carrara 4. Like he said the Carrera 2 is even faster then the 4 because they weight 200 pounds less.
I'm convinced that 99% of the people who drive esoteric sports cars must not know a thing about how to corner them. I've never had one keep up with me.

EDIT: Me included, because the z06 with me driving it cant corner as fast...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
figment : because the z06 with me driving it cant corner as fast...
how is that different from any of your bikes??

For the group: If the effect of downforce was stripped from the car's arsenal, would it still be faster? I wonder about that...

And yes, in the recent bike vs. car thingy, the GSXR1000 smoked the Z06 around the track... I love it!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I've been held up by lots'a bikes when I'm caging. Not surprising at all.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
girls, you need the divx codec installed.

divx.com

have fun.

Old footage tho. Still great. I don't think it's fair to 'race' together. Now, if they did time trials, maybe.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That clip is from a very popular Briish TV programme 'Top Gear' (I think), didn't see it myself. Presenter is Jeremy Clarkson, a petrol head of the highest order. e.g. he has an old English Electric Lightning jet fighter parked in his Cotswold's garden. Incredibly non-PC, very funny.

Trouble is he hates bikes with a passion but loves cars. From him you can't expect a balanced view. Entertaining stuff. But entetainment only.

As an amusing aside and supposed to be a true storty: Clarkson met Supermodel Kate Moss at a trendy London nightspot. Introducing himself he said I do 'Top Gear'.
Her reply: 'I don't do drugs anymore'. She'd never heard of him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts