Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up an either 'new' '02 954 or 'new' '01 929. The price difference between them is negligible. I know there are a few differences in the bikes. I’m not concerned about having the fastest bike, or the newest model. I’m just trying to figure out, which one is the better bike.

I do a lot of sport touring and currently ride a F4i.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Had both for a while: ~12.5K on the 929, and about the same on the 954.

954, hands down, no doubt. The _only_ drawback with the 954 is the slightly smaller trunk, everything else about it is better.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
If there's not much difference in price, I'd go with the newer bike for resale value if nothing else. Unless one or the other floats your boat visually...I still think the white and red 929 was the best looking one ever.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Had the 929 for about ~7K miles. Have the 954 and about ~6500 miles on it. The 954 is a bit stronger (obviously), but most importantly it handles a bit better than the 929. Probably in more capable hands the differences would be night and day.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I just say go for the one that looks the best. You will NEVER be able to push that bike to its limits so you might as well just take which ones look better cuz their limits (of both bikes) will never be touched by you. imo

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK, I have the loan dissenting opinion here. I like 929 best, I think overall it is a more balanced backage. It is super user friendly, allows you to change your line mid turn at will, several times! Top level racers may not agree but for most of us mortals, this user friendliness aspect holds true. Somehow when honda went to 954 some of that balance seems to have been lost. I remember a lot of test riders, factory guys and moto journos crashing 954 when it was first introduced. But hey, I could be wrong. Maybe anything over 929 HP puts one in RWHP zone where a heavy throttle hand will spin up rear tire too easily and get you high sided. Who knows. I love my bike.

I do have a 00 929 and it is red and white. It looks really nice with white wheels and it is a blast to ride at track days.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
i had a 01 929 and put approx 12000 klms on it, I now have a 03 954 with approx 4000 klms on it. I like the 954 over the 929, I feel it handles better (not that i ride that hard) it turns better, has more midrange & I just feel more comfortable on it.
I love the looks compared to my 929, not that i disliked the 929, Just I prefer the 954 looks.
But I don't think if I was to trade a 929 to a 954 The difference would be enough to justify the cost involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I'm leaning toward the new 2002 954. The price on it is the same as the 2003 600RR. I think they are both nice looking bikes, I like the silver/black combo best. Also, the 954 is 9 lbs less then the 929, that is important to me. I will get a steering damper installed on it right away. I have no experience on a litter bike, so this being my first one, I am sure I will like it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Oh boy... if someone is charging you the same price for a 929 as a 954, they are probably trying to screw you. I think that's the real issue here.

When I picked up my bike at year end 2001, the price difference between an '00 and an '01 blade was about $1500cad. And they were the same bike!! Now, if you have to choose between and '01 929 and a '02 954... the price difference should be even greater.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You won't notice much of a weight difference between your 600 and the 954, or the 929.

I had a 929 and now have a 954. The 954 is just a bit more comfy for me as the reach to the handle bars is just a few cm closer and the pegs are more positioned for the track but yet comfy too.

If the price is the same, get the 954. The difference in steering is negligible to most of us and the stock engine is just a bit peppier than the stock 929's. I think it looks a bit nicer and sleeker too when put side to side with a 929. Just my $.02 only because I've had both bikes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Vivid, When I bought my all stock S/B 954 in February it had a whopping 800 miles, and I paid $7,300 for the bike and $8,200 OTD with an extended 4 year warranty, Tax, Title, etc.. I saw many 929's for $7,100-$7,400 with less than 2k miles. Wise choice IMO, would be the 954, I love it!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi VIVID1!

Check out this thread from a few days ago.

Thread Link

As you can see, there were some very different opinions. Many were probably based on loyalty to the bike that particular person rides. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
the 954 is a better bike, and I know this having never ridden one.

it is virtually identical to the 929 with the exception of a few parts, and those parts are better. The bike, IMO, looks better than the 929 as well.

Its a no brainer...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
based on looks, I think the 954 is a little nicer, and I say that owning a Fireblade (2000 Euro colours).

However, I don't really dig any of the colour schemes for 2001-2003, for North America anyway.

get the 954.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I like the 929 the best. If you buy the 954, go ahead and order a steering damper. I can't tell any difference in power. Also if you do any street riding, the 929 is more comfortable.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Owned both and the 54 is the way to go !

steering damper and a Corbin and youll be as happy as a Pig in Chit !

SS

·
Registered
525 Posts
Go with the 929.......just get a better price on it since it's a year older.

Bigger trunk to keep you from wearing a back pack or using those ugly ass tank bags. Better looks and the perfect amount of power.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts