Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am currently looking to purchase my very first 954rr!!! I have narrowed it down to 2. I need your opinions in which you yourself would purchase.

Bike #1:

2003 954rr with 47,000km
-MINT condition
-new tires this summer
-two brothers exhaust
-LED with integrated turn signals in tail light
-tail tidy
-recently done $2000 repairs (something to do with valves, has all paperwork)
-lost keys but having new ones made tomorrow
-heated under ground parked during winters
-second owner

Asking $3500 CAD

Bike #2:

2003 954rr with 24,000km
-was low sided on right side
-has DEEP scratches by the head light on the right side
-right side frame slider is half gone!
-right side fairing has DEEP scratches, small cracks, 2" chipped where that triangle opening is and a .5" hole in the middle of the fairing
-rear brake lever is bend in half
-huge scratches on stock exhaust
-needs new front tire
-dead battery
-parked in very cold garage, stuffed in the corner with a bunch of junk

Asking price was $4200 but got him down to $3800 CAD

I know that bike #2 has over $1000 in repairs but low km's. Bike #1 almost has double the km's! And the $2000 worth of repairs does make me kinda nervous.

He does claim that the bike runs better than ever!

Both bikes are the exact same color too.

Which one would you guys buy and why?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Hey everyone,

I am currently looking to purchase my very first 954rr!!! I have narrowed it down to 2. I need your opinions in which you yourself would purchase.

Bike #1:

2003 954rr with 47,000km
-MINT condition
-new tires this summer
-two brothers exhaust
-LED with integrated turn signals in tail light
-tail tidy
-recently done $2000 repairs (something to do with valves, has all paperwork)
-lost keys but having new ones made tomorrow
-heated under ground parked during winters
-second owner

Asking $3500 CAD

Thanks in advance!
Bike #1 because it sounds like it has been looked after.
Bike #2 sounds like it's been to hell and back

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone probably ripped the guy off for a valve adjustment, and other basic stuff.

Yeah, he was saying something about how his bike wasn't running properly and the mechanic took a very long time to figure out what the problem was and charged him for all the hours that was spend trying to figure it out. Buddy was not impressed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and thats the thing about mechanics. Joke.

If you buy one, get a manual and youll be your own mechanic for free 99

Thanks for the advice! I would like to do as much as I can myself. I was a 3rd year automotive mechanic. Gave it up because I decided it was more of an hobby then a career.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Geez, I don't think anyone is going to say pick number 2. Number 1 is the clear winner, despite the higher miles. It has been taken care of. Frankly, I don't care about miles on a bike that is both 1. A bike that has been taken care of, and 2. a HONDA. 47,000km on a Honda is nothing. The fact that some dude is gonna spend $2k on a valve job (even if he was jacked on the price) means that he cared enough about the bike to take care of it. Also on the CBR's I don't trust mileage that much. It doesn't take much to alter the mileage. Unlike a car, for a bike all you have to do is buy a new instrument cluster on Ebay and PRESTO, lower mileage.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Bike one for me too, the only thing I would look out for are the replacement keys - not sure if you have the HISS immobiliser in Canada, but if you do make sure both keys work as they need to be programmed to match the ECU (I think).

I'm sure one of our HISS experts will be along soon to clarify...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bike one for me too, the only thing I would look out for are the replacement keys - not sure if you have the HISS immobiliser in Canada, but if you do make sure both keys work as they need to be programmed to match the ECU (I think).

I'm sure one of our HISS experts will be along soon to clarify...
Well he's getting it done at a Honda dealer, so I'm pretty sure they would think of that.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
I am thinking possibly bike #2, for the fact that it does have 1/2 the km's, and for me parts and repairs would not even be 1g. I could care less if someone fell on it. My 954 has been hammered three times and rebuilt again, for less than 1 thousand dollars too, and it still feels like it did the day I bought it.
1. new battery
2.brake lever
3.front tire
4.a slip on to replace that shitty stock exhaust anyway
5.some bodywork off ebay or a whole aftermarket set of new bodywork for 500, you can still ride a bike with scratches, while you fix it.

The fact that it was stored in a cold garage means nothing, how many people have heated garages? I will bet the majority doesn't. Everything besides the bodywork I would have done in less than 2 hours. The price of course , if you can get bike #2 for 3500 and say you put 800 into it, you can have a perfect bike with half the miles at about the asking price of #2. Just another opinion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts