Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3200 miles on an 03 954 and doing the winter time upgrades and was wondering which synthetic oil any of you have used and like or disliked.

·
Registered
212 Posts
:thumb:
Hammer said:
I have 3200 miles on an 03 954 and doing the winter time upgrades and was wondering which synthetic oil any of you have used and like or disliked.
Mobil1 15W-50, Thats what I use. I started my 01 929 on the honda GN4 and then switched to Mobil1. After I switched I noticed that my tranny shifted smoother. Mobil1 15W50 is also readily available everywhere. It runs between $4 and $5 a quart. Its the same oil as you use in your car. Dont be fooled or conned by the "motorcycle only oil is all you can use" crap. Also stay away from the energy conserving oils, look on the back of the quarts of oil where the quarter sized circle is. If it says energy conserving than it may make your clutch slip. There are alot of people here on this site that use Mobil1. Hope this input helps you out. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I don't like the new Mobil 1 15w50 cage oil, they added friction modifiers to it. More than a few guys on the VFR list have reported slight shifting problems with it, but YMMV. The Mobil specific motorcycle stuff is good, and so is the Amsoil.

·
Registered
280 Posts
abtech said:
The Motul 300V is exceptional and does make the shifting a lot smoother.
Where do you guys get this stuff from? I've only been able to find it locally in the 15W-50 blend. Evidently, that's the only viscosity that Lockhart-Philips lists in their catalog, so it's all I can find in the stores. I tried it once, but was nervous about the thicker blend. I know Abtech has suggessted 0W-30, but I would prefer running 10W-40 with the generally warmer temps in SoCal. Is there somewhere online you buy from?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I ran Mobil1 for years in my bikes after they were broken in. When they changed to the tri-syn formula, shifting went to hell. I went to HP4 or Motul and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried a lot of oils and my conclusion is that Motul 300V and Bel-ray EXS are the best.Like abtech said the shifting is very smooth with the Motul.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Keith1K said:
Shell with Rotella-T Full Synthetic 5w40. I've been running this oil for the last 2 changes no problems at all. The best part, 12 dollars a gallon at walmart.

Motorcycle Motor Oil
I just switched both of my cars and bike to rotella,but just remember,it's not a "real" synthetic like motul,redline and the other ester based oils.There is a reason it's not $8/qt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
CBRBob said:
I ran Mobil1 for years in my bikes after they were broken in. When they changed to the tri-syn formula, shifting went to hell. I went to HP4 or Motul and it's been fine since.
Whats the problem with the shifting? What exactly does it went to hell mean? I first ran the GN4 for a few thousand miles and then switched to Mobil1. My 929 has 14,500 miles and it runs great and my tranny shifts smother than when I was running the GN4. The Mobil1 was proven to be a oil than GN4 acording to all the oil reports I can find. Seems to me everyone likes something different. :idunno:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Where's the dreaded "thread vortex"?

Street & Comp has all the Motul weights. I wouldn't advise running 0W30 in anything other than a racebike. The 10W40 or 10W30 should be fine depending on the application.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I run Spectro Gold synthetic blend. Seems to work ok. The only real reason I use it is 1. they have it readily available at the store and 2. I have been using mostly Spectro since my 83 Suzuki GS1100ES. Maybe its time for a change. I have run Motul and like their products. But I must special order it.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
rydman said:
I run Spectro Gold synthetic blend. Seems to work ok. The only real reason I use it is 1. they have it readily available at the store and 2. I have been using mostly Spectro since my 83 Suzuki GS1100ES. Maybe its time for a change. I have run Motul and like their products. But I must special order it.
Sorry, I accidently edited your post Rydman (no changes, just hit the wrong button)

Street & Comp carries the Motul in stock and will ship same day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
abtech said:
Sorry, I accidently edited your post Rydman (no changes, just hit the wrong button)

Street & Comp carries the Motul in stock and will ship same day.

Thanks, Abtech (and Conq). I'll give Street & Comp a try. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts