• Belkin

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which brand wireless routers are you guys using? Is the extra money for the 108meg speed worth it?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to get a new one within the next week and I'm not sure which one. Looking for advice to steer me in the right direction. I'm not the computer guru most of you guys are but I can get around the basics.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have two Linksys wireless routers (a "b" for home and a "g" for biz use), and also a Netgear "g" with 108 mbps (with dedicated cards). Since I have more Linksys than Netgear, I voted Linksys in the poll. :D

Thing is, I haven't used the wireless extensively with any of them...at least not yet. My laptop gets plenty of signal whether one or two floors away; however, the Linksys wireless game adapter (for Xbox and PS2) that I have doesn't do as well; it needs to be closer, and I've taken to just running it direct-wired. Not sure if that's the router or the game adapter at fault. :huh:

However, Canon's WFT-E1 (photo) transmitter is due any day, at which point I'll begin using wireless a lot more often. :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
ConqSoft said:
TAZ, FWIW, the Microsoft wireless XBox adapter seems to do fine. I use it on the opposite side of the house and it gets a good signal.
Thanks. So I understand, you're using the Xbox-branded wireless adapter with the Microsoft wireless router? (...in which case I wouldn't be too surprised that it would work well with the Xbox.) ;)

In all fairness, I used to have my router in a corner of the basement, and had difficulty when using the Xbox wirelessly from my bedroom, which was on the second floor, and as far from the adapter as was possible in the house - probably a less-than-ideal situation. :crap: I haven't really tried the adapter since I moved my office and the router to the first floor of the house.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Linksys here. I was able to install it and get all of our laptops up and running without a hitch. That says a lot for someone as pc illiterate as me! :smilebig:

FYI, the unit is set up in the basement and gets a good signal from our third floor.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
deez said:
Let me know what you find out. I need to get a wireless router to replace my Linksys (non wireless) soon...
FWIW my experience is that a WAP and a wired router are the way to go. That way, an error on the wireless side does not force an IPL on the router....

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
figment said:
FWIW my experience is that a WAP and a wired router are the way to go. That way, an error on the wireless side does not force an IPL on the router....
WAP, IPL you guys are speaking gibberish to me. I'm not as up to date as I used to be but I still never knew some of the stuff you guys say. For the most part nowadays I just plug it in and go

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
CBR929RE said:
WAP, IPL you guys are speaking gibberish to me. I'm not as up to date as I used to be but I still never knew some of the stuff you guys say. For the most part nowadays I just plug it in and go
WAP, in this case, means Wireless Access Point.

IPL is short for "reboot" or "restart". Didn't bother looking up what the IPL actually stands for. :)

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
ConqSoft said:
WAP, in this case, means Wireless Access Point.

IPL is short for "reboot" or "restart". Didn't bother looking up what the IPL actually stands for. :)
I thought the W in WAP stood for wireless but wasn't sure of the rest. my lesson for today is done.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
IPL = The Initial Program Load must be performed every time the system's power is turned on. It is a sequence of events that causes the System Support Programs or operating system to be loaded into storage and prepares the system for execution of jobs. (google)

I spoke mainframe... I feel so dirty now

I have a wireless G linksys router and usb adapter. I stream MP3s from my server in the house thru the stucko wall 40 ft to my garage. I usually have about 24mb connection.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I voted D-link because the wireless(B) card I just got for my desktop gets MUCH better reception than my Linksys. Quite honestly though, any of them should be okay but avoid Belkin, IMO.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the Linksys today. Set up in 30 minutes, now I'm typing this wirelessly. Thanks Guys! :thumb:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Just picked up a Linksys WRT54G to replace my Netgear MR814. I was totally happy with the Netgear but needed to upgrade from B to G. I thought the Netgear setup was easier to navigate however both are fine. I also have a Apple Airport Express to stream music to the stereo. It would be very easy to setup by itself or with an Airport base however setting it up with the Linksys was bit of a pain (had I settled for no security :eek: it was easy)

Summary
Netgear MR814 3.5 hooves up but needed an upgrade to G
Linksys WRT54G 3 hooves up setup was a pain for the high end features
Apple Express 3 hooves up setup was a pain but for travel or airtunes the cool factor is huge

1 - 20 of 22 Posts