Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would make you choose the 954 over the 1000RR. Can't decide if I'm going with an left over 03 954 or the new 1000rr. What are your thoughts :confused:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
In my opinion, the 954 is more like art, all lines on the bike have a purpose and add to the styling of the bike. I like the huge rotors up front and also love the exhaust can hanging off the bike. I love the headlights the way they swoop back and that the low beam is in the center.

As for the 1000RR, I like it overall. I like the side mounted oil filter, but I don't like the fact that the exhaust uses most of the underseat trunk space and that only one of the two headlights are on (lowbeam). The master cylinder for the rear brake also sticks out like a sore thumb.

These are all personal styling points, so it depends on what YOU like. Both are very capable bikes and I wouldn't mind owning either of them.
I'm just very glad I bought my 954, even in light of the 1000RR. ;)

I'd see what kind of deal you can get for each and decide then.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
If you can afford the 1000RR I would go for it. But you'll get a great deal on a 954.

If you get the 954 I bet my :booty: you'll want to trade it when you'll see the 1000RR.

It all comes down to $$$$

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would buy a condo for that much money! hehehe J/K

Buy the 1000RR just think of all the recalls it could have, things that go wrong goes great with warranties. 954 is a awsome bike that would benefit whoever rides it, but wouldnt you like a new 1000RR it has all the bells and whistles that you could want! For me I would go for the 1000RR so I can look down at other peoples bike.

Mark

·
Registered
728 Posts
The 954 has some scary power available to it, and the 1000 has much more. If you're into going fast and racing, or just want to have the latest thing, go with the 1000. If "fast enough" and good looks, are enough, then buy the 954. Oh, and get the faster red one whichever model you choose. :)

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
The main benefit to a 600RR or 1000RR is they are the latest gen. from Honda. The rear suspension is different and the new bikes have focused heavily on mass centralization of that weight. The 954 is going to be lighter that is for sure :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
So much can depend upon how you are going to ride ride the bike. If it is for track ONLY then the 1000, it it is BASICALLY track & SOME road then the 1000 again, still if it is basically for the HIGHWAYS then the 954 is the bike.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would bend over some stealership for a 2003 954. Those bastards are going to bend you over on a 1000.

BTW, I read one of these writer/riders say the 954 feels like a limo compared to the 1000.

Oh yeah, I have to agree about the lack of a "trunk" on the 1000. I use my 954's "trunk" all of the time. The 1000 tosses what bit of practical left in the 954 out the door.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
MarkN929RR said:
Buy the 1000RR just think of all the recalls it could have, things that go wrong goes great with warranties. 954 is a awsome bike that would benefit whoever rides it, but wouldnt you like a new 1000RR it has all the bells and whistles that you could want! For me I would go for the 1000RR so I can look down at other peoples bike.

Mark
sure, look at all the serious recalls the brand new for 2000 cbr929rr had. not. and the all new for 2003 cbr600rr. not.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
MarkN929RR said:
For me I would go for the 1000RR so I can look down at other peoples bike.
:pointup:
How important is it to you to have the latest, greatest bike?
Zeeman faced this "dilemma" recently and chose the 954. Search for that thread, it may help you.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Yup, I was bikeless, was pretty much dead set on waiting out the 1000RR, but in the end decided on a 954 for several reasons...

-I got a great price - with the savings I have bought a full Arata, Ohlins damper, PCIII and still have enough left to get a WP rear shock, get work done on the front end, and still have change.

-Got sick of waiting, there are still no firm dates for the 1000rr - Id idn't want to be bikeless until june...

-the 954 is fun! The engine is good - mine is pumping out 136.3 hp (rwhp) and that is plenty for the street (and track for us mortals..) I think there are only a handful of people here who could actually use any of the extra power a 1000RR has.

-underseat storage. IT is just so great to have! I have my special collected Lord Of The Rings movie cup and poster in it now form when I saw th emovie last night... Even fits a bottle of scotch...

-and I just love the way it flicks - though the 1000rr is an unmeasured quantity at the moment..

Z...

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Very hard decision to make, it has to be a personal choice if you have the cash sitting there.
You can save a bundle on the 954 or have the latest (and hopefully greatest) but blow a heap of money as soon as you ride it out of the show room.
The older model sounds like the logical choice for the dollar, but i would be fighting with myself, to get the latest model.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Personally I am so much in liking of my 929 & what the 954 offer THAT if I lost the 929 it would definately not be the 1000 & I would be looking at some other model or make FOR I am a hwy rider & that trunk space at the rear is THAT important. Honda has garbaged said trunk space for the new can (not to mention all the twisting, tabs, heat protectors & such for the pipe to wiggle & wander up) that I would be grooping around for a 750 to 1000 to take the place of my 929 or the 954 I could no longer purchase.
Still having the latest is not that important to me for even with my 929 at mid-revs I am WAY above the max speed limits of any of the hwys & getting speeding tickets is not what I want. I have enough now!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am in this same dilema.

I have a resurected 929, that has tons of mods, and tons of problems. I am planning on buying a 954 and transfering those mods or buying a ZX10R, 1000RR, 04 Gixxer 750 or Mille. Those are the choices, but personally, I will not even be able to touch the limits on the new bikes. I love the 954's looks and performance, and care more about handling than all out power. But, it would be nice to have a current bike. I love the looks of the ZX10R and the feel of a full tuck on that tank is the best by far.
I would hate to stray from Honda, but am not completely impressed by the 1000RR.

spank her once for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts