Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe I'm being paranoid.. but does anybody else hear the slightest whining sound (think supercharger) under acceleration? its more apparent during higher speeds and for all gears. The engine noise almost drowns it out but if I listen carefully its there. Is this normal???

o yeah.. the bike is a 02 954. Any help is much much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't know about much about the 954, but Honda likes using cam gears instead of chains. Lower maintenance, and a nice supercharger-like sound.

My old RC51 with the stock exhaust sounded like I had a huge blower hiding under the plastic. Even with aftermarket pipes on, I got asked from time to time about that noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to hear a whining sound every time i started my bike up.

Turns out it was just the missus..... :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I don't know about much about the 954, but Honda likes using cam gears instead of chains. Lower maintenance, and a nice supercharger-like sound.

My old RC51 with the stock exhaust sounded like I had a huge blower hiding under the plastic. Even with aftermarket pipes on, I got asked from time to time about that noise.
I believe the 954 uses cam chains?

One more thing, I can only hear it when the bike has been warmed up. Can it be the transmission?

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I believe the 954 uses cam chains?

One more thing, I can only hear it when the bike has been warmed up. Can it be the transmission?
yes all the CBRs use cam chains.

·
Registered
194 Posts
sounds like the drive chain could be whining i have the same prob with my 929, if you accelarate up to about 70mph and pull the clutch in if u can hear the noise better and it slows down as the bike slows down. i find that the noise on mine gets louder after ive lubricated the chain which is weird then quiterns down after about 50mile

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'll give the chain a good cleaning and lubing when the weather clears. if it helps i'll let you know.

i checked out a few dynos on youtube and the bikes were making a similar sound leading me to believe its probably normal.. i'll look into it more if the sound gets any louder but for now i'll just enjoy my bike. thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
my 06 1kr has a whine to it I believe its probably the transmission gears but its real light like you described. sounds like there is a small blower on it....I like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts