Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 cbr 929 and it smokes everyday when I start it until it warms up. The smoke is white and pretty moderate. I checked coolant(no oil), oil(no coolant), and FPR. The exhaust is not sweet and just smells like how exhaust should smell. When the bike warms up it doesn't smoke at all even when riding.I'm pretty stumped. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
737 Posts
White smoke NORMALLY indicates a failing head gasket. Does the bike run hot? I guess what I'm saying is if it's an internal coolant leak because of a blown head gasket you might not see coolant in the oil since it's burning it off in the cylinder (hence your white smoke).

How long has it been doing it?
Does the coolant look low in either the res. or the radiator?

:rotfl:

Not even gonna try and hide it ...... I didnt think to ask if it was cold outside when this happens. If it is then bladeracer is correct and it's normal. :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I just bought a 2001 cbr 929 and it smokes everyday when I start it until it warms up. The smoke is white and pretty moderate. I checked coolant(no oil), oil(no coolant), and FPR. The exhaust is not sweet and just smells like how exhaust should smell. When the bike warms up it doesn't smoke at all even when riding.I'm pretty stumped. Thanks in advance
In colder weather this is normal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its around 50*-60*F out and it has done this ever since I got it. The weird thing is that it only does it for about this first two minutes on start up then disappears. Also when I rev it past 4-5000 there is no more white smoke. A new update: I noticed there was water leaking from the muffler/down pipe. I pulled the muffler and I am going to wait a couple of hours to start it to see if it smokes(maybe there is water trapped in it?). By the way I'm pretty sure that it was water leaking because it has no smell what so ever and is a clear liquid. So I'm hoping it's just condensation in the exhaust.

·
Registered
900 Posts
my 929 gives a light haze of white on start from cold, just condensation in can, if you had a leak it would do it when warm, just keep a eye on water level and gauge but recon your safe

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Its around 50*-60*F out and it has done this ever since I got it. The weird thing is that it only does it for about this first two minutes on start up then disappears. Also when I rev it past 4-5000 there is no more white smoke. A new update: I noticed there was water leaking from the muffler/down pipe. I pulled the muffler and I am going to wait a couple of hours to start it to see if it smokes(maybe there is water trapped in it?). By the way I'm pretty sure that it was water leaking because it has no smell what so ever and is a clear liquid. So I'm hoping it's just condensation in the exhaust.
All sounds perfectly normal.
A pet annoyance of mine is when watching a movie and a car comes into the shot having supposedly driven some distance but the white smoke belching from the exhaust pipe indicates it's just been started up a moment before :)

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Oh yeah by the way the highest temperature the bike has gotten to is 210*. Is that normal?
210F probably isn't even high enough to kick the fan in so yes, no problem at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I started the bike which should of have produced white smoke and the outcome is...drum roll... No smoke. I guess the muffler has some water in it for some reason. Its ok because I was planning on buying a full system soon anyway.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Usually when you start a cold engine you usually see the condensation being produced until the engine/exhaust heat up and the water is vapourised.

Whats the temperature outside? My 954RR usually produces white smoke when its a bit damp outside.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's about 55*F and raining. I just got worried about all this because none of my other bikes do it this bad but still do. Thanks guys for all your responses, it's a load off my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts