Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I brought home a 00 Tahoe Limited. Ill post a thread about the truck tomorrow after I wash it, but I need to know some info in the shop manual. On the back doors (barn style) there are electric pins on each door. I need to know what each does if it is in there. The power locks dont control the rear door, and I suspect these pins. Any help would be swell... Here is a link to the truck I bought, Ill post my own tomorrow.
eBay Motors: Chevrolet : Tahoe (item 150011466875 end time Jul-22-06 14:24:06 PDT)

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
I had an 03 Z71 Tahoe, but don't remember any pins, and mine was the lift gate rear door. The remote should also lock the rear though, so the pins would be my first guess also. Good luck, wish I could help more!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I think a Tahoe is a K series correct? If so I have the Helm.inc manual for a 2000 C/K series (for my 2000 Sierra) and you are welcome to borrow them if you need. I will take a look in a bit and see if I can find a diagram.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
hmm,do those 5 pins mate straight on with the 4 contacts? or is there any adjustment that looks like it may have slid and maybe at one time they did? or does 1 pin just do nothing?

Anyways, first guess I have for wiring is (assuming each door has a lock/unlock?)

-12vdc ground (thinking this would be the double pins if they touch 1 plate)
+12vdc switched/door lock
+12vdc switched/door unlock
+12vdc switched/defog.

Check the owners manual, is there anything about a secondary fuse panel back there? or maybe a relay housing?

Since they are extremities I'd expect them to have switched power only, rather then constant and a relay that switches power to lock/unlock.

Now sure how friendly you are with electrical stuff, but its pretty easy to just check each side yourself with a voltmeter and a friend the old fashioned way (take readings between pins:.) I presume its all switched 10amp relays so you should get a positive difference in readings if everything is connected and you have juice back there.

So check:

-each pin on chassis to known chassis ground (look for bare metal, door strike or similar should be ok for this if you do it on the non greasy part) to verify what is presently connected to ground.

then

-each pin to each pin (normal)
-each pin to each pin (lock)
-each pin to each pin (unlock)
-each pin to each pin (defog on)

-each pin and ground* (normal)
-each pin and ground (lock)
-each pin and grouund (unlock)
-each pin and ground (defog on)

Keep track of your findings with the above, and/or post the results back here (if any) and maybe we'll have some other ideas until you get the wiring.

I know in an m.y.2000 Astro we had at my last job, the dealership spent some time troubleshooting the rear end wiring for intermittent light and locking issues (no pins there though, just harness) only to find a bad relay. The relay worked fine electrically, but mechanically it was floating in its housing from the vibes and door closings and would work intermittently ...not sure how your rear door(s) are actuated but from your conditions (and it occuring on both sides) it sounds like something outside of the doors...but at least the pin check will tell you that.

edit: even a 12vdc test lamp should be good enough here unless you have access to a voltmeter.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
another thing if your keen on ripping apart your new ride :D is to see if those things that look like carpeted 'cargo panels' on the lower section of your doors are easy to get off. They may be on there with plastic christmas trees or metal clips, or screwed on, but if you can see an easy way of getting them off...may tell you more of the story.

Since I rarely worked on new cars, the first thing I always did was verify what I had for the factory wiring schematic - *was* how it was actually still wired ;)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Those pins control the rear window defog IIRC.

Try pulling the panel off the door with the actual lock mechanism off and tracing wires. The door lock mechanism shouldn't disconnect with the door open, which is what those will do with the door open.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
The door lock mechanism shouldn't disconnect with the door open, which is what those will do with the door open.
Thats what I was kinda wondering as well, didn't make sense but it was domestic so I gave it benefit of the doubt ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts