Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has riden this track...any advice? Is it my imagination, or does this track run counter clockwise?

What are the best times from the people on this board??

What gears are you guys running???

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Yes Jennings is run counter clockwise. You will be favoring the left side of your tires also, some people were flipping their rear tires to get some more life from them.

I was running one tooth down from stock on the counter shaft sprocket and one tooth up on the rear sprocket. I was able to run third gear most of the time. I'm sure that with some more track time under my belt I would be hitting fourth down the back straight (just have to trust myself to keep it pinned thru the kink).

I don't have a lap timer so I don't know what times I was running. I think ccwilli3 was down in the low 1:30's and I believe Flasher2001 got into the 1:20's but I'm sure they will give you a more accurate time when they see this thread. What ever they ran it was faster than myself.

The track is smooth with plenty of run-off room, no armco and no concrete walls.

·
Registered
216 Posts
best time on 208GP-A = 1:25:79 (ran consistent 27-29's)
also got sub 1:30's with M1's on day two last month.

i turn into 1 late to make sure i'm not wide onto the back 'straight'.  turns 3 - 6 are where tons of time can be made up.  this is how i learned to run those corners.  turns 10 & 11 can be combined into one sweeper.  finally, turn 13 can be taken much faster than it appears.  its a right-hander and the right sides of your tires will be begging for some leanage.

they have each corner marked with a 'diagram' and with turn in, apex & exit dots.  just connect 'em.

i only shift once at JenningsGP - on the back (kinky) straight - and that shift is 'optional'.  i'll shift up at turn 2 (the first kink) and back down while shooting through 4 into 5.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info...

I am surprised, that only the two of you ran this track...I thought it was more popular??

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Everyone that attended .org days 2 has ridden this track and then some.

There isn't much else to say outside of what flasher said.  All of this varies on how good of a rider you are.  I personally feel the 929/954 are about perfect for this track.  The track is very tight and technical.  Little in the way of elevation change, but HP doesn't get you anywhere on that track.

Also, bring a broom, you'll be glad you did...  There is a lot of sand around there and with the morning dew on your shoes, you'll drag it right onto your pit pad.  The track surface is flawless.  Follow some of the faster riders through the 3-5 and turn 6 area, there is a lot of time to be made up there and thats where they do it.  And I rarely ever shift on this track.  I'm just not fast enough out of one and two to require the shift to 4th...  On my RC, I'd get on the limiter in 3rd and kinda just hold it there for a second before rolling out of the gas to go into turn 3 (which really isn't a turn)...  But the track is cool and 250GP and 600cc bikes can rule that track.  There is a link to some pics from the 600rr.net day 3 weeks ago.

my pics from 600rr.net trackday

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Very fun track! Out of the 3 tracks I have been on, Jennings probably had the best surface...most definately it was the flattest.
I was using Flasher as a lap timer so I figure I was around 1:15-1:20's...you know cuz he would start off in front of me and by the end of the sessions be behind me...so that must mean I was going faster....right?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I started to turn 1:34 on my F3. I was just starting to feel comfortable when it started to rain, so i think I had more in me. As has been mentioned, lots of times can be made up on these corners... I brake waaaaay too early for 3-6 and was picking up time as I started to go faster through there. I shift several times, but that is on an F3 with gearing too high for that track.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I ran a 1.34.04 on kevin's 600rr while staying only in 3rd gear (the only bike I rode that day with a lap timer)... I was sooo losing time out of some corners because even though that 600 is strong, it was still lugging a bit (less than 10K rpm) due to the gearing and the tightness of those corners. If I had been active and got on the shifter and ran second gear through turns 4-9 I don't know what I could have ran. It would have been way better though because I was waiting for revs on a few occasions.

Most tracks, you have braking zones where you can get on the brakes and get your shifting done, you don't have that at jennings... You are almost ALWAYS on the side of the tire. There is very little braking there...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
TraumaOne : In the rain I rode a 1:45-1:50
Flasher ran a 1:12, which is with the help of his photon accelerator (ie, timing messup of the century), which is illegal for competition, but acceptable for trackday use.

·
Registered
216 Posts
no, i did not use a 'photon accelerator'.  i used a little of  , some of and alot of  

seriously, i learned what value to use for the 'Minimum Lap Time' one my UltraLap the next time i'm there.  i was getting a rogue signal from somewhere ...... or did i really break the track record afterall

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
TraumaOne : Keep in mind the track record is held by a 250 too...
Isn't that cool?? Yeah, I can look past the fact that it isn't just ANY 250, but still, thats just too damn cool to me!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The track record at Grattan was held by Rich Oliver on a 250 for 4 years. It was a full second and a half below anyone else for at least 2 years. Considering Grattan has a 3200 ft straight and a 120+ mph sweeper, that says a lot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just got back from my first track day ever at Jennings on the 8th and 9th ,,, It was the bomb, it was the most fun I ever had in my life, I may never street ride agian, I am wore out and sore and I am thinking about the next time. I ran a 1:36 for my best time and I ran 4th gear the whole time. Will post more later

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AWESOME...great fun...managed to squeeze a 1.33....not bad for first time there...could have done better, but was not pushing it..plus tires were almost cooked, and did not want to buy a new set just for one day.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
firebladetoronto : AWESOME...great fun...managed to squeeze a 1.33....not bad for first time there...could have done better, but was not pushing it..plus tires were almost cooked, and did not want to buy a new set just for one day.
yeah, there is a ton of grip at jennings, even in the wet... Glad you had fun and there is nothing wrong with a 1.33! thats moving!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NinerPilot : It was great to meet you FBT.  I hope the rest of the day went well and uneventful for you.  DWC and I got home around 930 so it wasnt as long as we thought.  Did you by chance get any pics of the new wadded Mille?
Chris
No, I should have taken a pic..I rode past it...

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I saw the guy save a nasty slide when I was taking pics in the infield.... I thought he lost it, but he got lucky... But I didnt see him again after that lap. He was dicing it with on of the staff guys and I guess he figured he didnt want to be that guy who wrecked the 2nd press bike....
Chris

1 - 20 of 35 Posts