Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Bride and I decided to try to sell the Trumpet and buy a Wing, or maybe trade it in on one.

I know they are pretty well the ultimate in long distance 2-wheel comfort and of course the Honda fit & finish and longevity, but what about any quirks? Anyone have any experience or stories to tell me?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Re: Who here owns a Gold Wing?

A friend tells me they can do wheelies.

I have about 250mi worth of seat time in one. It's an amazing machine for a boat anchor. Quite the healthy motor as well. I wouldn't even hesitate about getting one if I were in your position.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

The only thing I can think of right now was that some of the earlier ones needed part of the frame re-welded...this being on the early 1800s. You might want to check around on that, but they're awesome bikes. The 1800 is the one you want though...probably feels close to your Tiller 2-up in weight. My dad has about 70000 miles on his 2001 and was just under 100K on his 98.
I'm not sure there is a better bike out there for what you seem to want.

And they can do wheelies :door:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts

make sure you put about 4800 marker lights on it and pull a trailer.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts

phobiaphobe said:
make sure you put about 4800 marker lights on it and pull a trailer.

Sidecar or retractable training wheels. Don't want that thing tipping over.

Instructor at the motorcycle safety class had one. Said, "If I can do this stuff on this thing then there you guys should have no problem with your bikes." Never saw him wheelie it but he did lay it on its side then righted it again, by himself. Impressive. Oh, and he was draggin' the floor boars and the exhaust through the cones. :eek:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts

I own an '04. We're still not sure if Honda has sorted out the frame cracking issue, even on the '05s. That said, mine hasn't cracked yet and I load it down and ride it has hard and fast as I can in the twisties. Yes it can wheelie, but I've never actually tried lofting it up. I'm afraid of the landing. But as far as wheelies go, when launching hard you will either spin the rear or lift the front. It's pretty easy. Even if you're rolling under 20 MPH you can lift the front.
How tall are you. I'm 6'1" and if I were any taller, I'd be uncomfortable on it. I think they make them for little old men. :)
Have you considered a ST1300? They are very nice!
The one improvement I made on it was that on Saturday I put new tires on it. I bought the new Dunlop EliteIIIs front and rear. The originals could have went another 2K but they were getting greasy at full lean. The front is the same size, but I put on a 70 searies tire instead of the 60 that came on it originally. The extra ground clearance was a God send. Nobody passed me up in the Santa Cruz mountains all day. And I passed a couple of 929s that were obviously being ridden by tools. I only touched down the left side once. I can lean it over so much now, you get that feeling in the middle of the turn where if you do minor adjustments the tire slips away from you and comes back instead of moving you up and down in the lean (not sure if I explained that correctly). These new tires kick but.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hey Phobe, these things look cool with enough lights to blind ya. :D Also, no trailer!! :nono: The glorious province I live in is considering a move to ban them.

To any of you mentioning these things doing wheelies:

:squid:

Every one of ye!! :rotfl:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts

You'll want to get some aux. lights from Electrical Connection. Don't buy them from Honda!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts

nedro said:
You'll want to get some aux. lights from Electrical Connection. Don't buy them from Honda!
These are fog lights, not marker lights. They go in the round pods at the front of the left and right cylinder heads.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hey Nedro, I am curious as to what about it you'd find uncomfortable if you were any taller?? I thought these things were perfect for taller riders!

I'm 6'3" and that statement worries me a little. Would you expand on it a bit?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts

My 56 y/o father just bought an ST1300 and couldn't be happier with it. He claims to have been pulling wheelies on it though this can't immediately be verified.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts

phobiaphobe said:
My 56 y/o father just bought an ST1300 and couldn't be happier with it. He claims to have been pulling wheelies on it though this can't immediately be verified.
You can believe your father on that one. It's not like when he told you about needing glasses if you keep doing that.

·
Registered
66 Posts

My 48 yr old father has an 03 wing and I use to race my car at a local drag strip and he his wing down the track a few times with decent #'s and claims to have pulled his tire up a little. I told him he was a derranged old man.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts

TheTruth21 said:
My 48 yr old father . I told him he was a derranged old man.
What does that have to do with wheelies?
BTW, When's Conq gonna shut us down for all of this talk?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts

Newfie TLR said:
Does a busa with Helibars count? :idunno: I just ordered a set to go along with my Genmar riser. I'll be 2-3/8" higher than stock. I figure I'm stuck with the bike, might as well make it comfortable.

[/threadjack]

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

sheepofblue said:
An alternative that handles better and is lighter :idunno:
I've ridden one of those quite a bit and I hated the stock seat, and with the aftermarket seat (Don't recall brand) he had, it was even worse. Besides, those are pretty short bikes and probably not as comfortable as what I have now, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts

Chain said:
Does a busa with Helibars count? :idunno: I just ordered a set to go along with my Genmar riser. I'll be 2-3/8" higher than stock. I figure I'm stuck with the bike, might as well make it comfortable.

[/threadjack]
Only if the frame cracks!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts