Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted this same question in the wrong section, my bad. Anyway, super interested in the 919. Tryin to get a new one but I am just curious why the redline is so low. I know its a low end torquey motor. Any one know?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Just posted this same question in the wrong section, my bad. Anyway, super interested in the 919. Tryin to get a new one but I am just curious why the redline is so low. I know its a low end torquey motor. Any one know?
The 919 (uses the 918 engine found in the earlier Blades) isn't a high BHP producing motor, they have been re-tuned for lower down torque - I think they're running around about 110BHP - There isn't any real need for anything higher (the top speed of one is about 140MPH/224KPH)

Saying that, I rarely find myself going into tripple figures on the speedo as to be honest I have Blade for that.

Regarding the rev limit/red line, I'm not sure (can't remember the last time I used mine)

·
Registered
7 Posts
The engine is mostly the same, except the pistons and crank are cast and not forged (so they are weaker.) The faster you spin the assembly the stronger it needs to be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is a little low, but the CBR900rr the motor came from only had a 11,000 redline. Bigger engines generally are lower. The way they have the 919 motor cammed it peaks torque at around 9000 anyway. The motor makes most of it's torque by 3500.

As for the pistons and crank, they were always cast. The 929 went to forged. The big changes were the cams and throttle body size. 36mm from 38mm carbs.

*EDIT* just noticed how old this thread was. whoops is right

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whoops from me too. I just got a 919, and had educated myself via wikipedia, it had led me to believe that in the process of retuning the bike a switch had been made from forged to cast. Thanks for setting me straight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No biggie. That article does kind of lead you that way. It was kind of a sticking point for a lot of people with Honda not using the 929 motor. They wanted a budget bike and the 929 motor would have killed that, with its fancy forged pistons. :hmm:

*EDIT* I just changed Wikipedia. Fun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts