Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i thought you said onions when you said orings lol,well i don't plan on beating the piss out of it,it's not EXTREMELY weak or anything is it? will it be fine for city riding and 120 mph every once and awhile?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It will work fine, but you'll be replacing it in about 6 months unless you're VERY religious about cleaning and lubing the chain - ideally removing it once a month or so and soaking it in oil.

The O-rings just keep grease in the joints of the links so they stay lubed.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
i thought you said onions when you said orings lol,well i don't plan on beating the piss out of it,it's not EXTREMELY weak or anything is it? will it be fine for city riding and 120 mph every once and awhile?
I think it's rated to 500cc.
It is a weaker chain but it should be fine for commuting.
Inspect and lube very often as you don't want to break it.
Standard chain does have the advantage of lower friction by not having the o-rings.

·
Registered
303 Posts
:plus1:, drop them a comment.
X2....took me a while to find the chain I wanted without paying too much, and making sure I had the right tensile strength for the bike + going to a 520. Let them know their mistake so no one gets hurt or as said, broken case.

EK 520 gold oring 130 link with 9000 tensile strength list for 140.00 can't remember the exact type but said it was good up to 1000cc sport bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just replaced the chain on my 954 last fall. Used EK chain and I think it was called X-ring or something. Got it at tobefast.com. Price was good and they are kinda close for me. Definately don't get a chain rated for 500cc. If it breaks you'll be sorry.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Whoops, you're right. 500cc rating:

Welcome to RK Excel America

Personally I wouldn't chance it. I've seen a chain break before and punch a hole in the engine case. It would suck to need a new motor because you went cheap on the chain. :crap:

I had a chain snap at 130 mph on a Ninja 600 3 years ago. Two up!

We were so lucky, it slammed into the fairing around the rear seat leaving some very nice gouges!

Will not be letting that happen again....

It was 10pm on the M5. I slept on the hard shoulder for two hours waiting for the recovery truck to arrive.

By rights we should have lost limbs / destroyed gearbox / destroyed engine / died.

that was an expensive mistake. to add insult to injury, I couldnt find my recovery unformation. £300 to get off the motorway and get home!

There are a few things that i wont go cheap on now....
Tyres, Brakes, Chain

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.