Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HUBBY HAS HONDA CBR954rr...need to know best/cheapest tires to buy that will last the longest...street rider only but if matters how he rides it then would be 80%street/20%track....neet tires that will last......plz help...thx

·
Registered
917 Posts
there are are some nice "inexpensive" tires out there but you will fined that the best of those do not last long for aggressive street, or any track riding. Besides, If you love and want to keep him undamaged the "inexpensive" route is not the best way to go. Now, if he has a huge life insurance policy... Go Shinko you can get a set of 009 shinkos for under $200. But I have to say that I do not recommend shinko for aggressive riding, just to be able to sleep at night, and so you have no basis for a law suit.
If you really want him to have good tires for track, and aggressive street riding, spend the money get some decent tire. It will cost him less pain.
This is just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
there are are some nice "inexpensive" tires out there but you will fined that the best of those do not last long for aggressive street, or any track riding. Besides, If you love and want to keep him undamaged the "inexpensive" route is not the best way to go. Now, if he has a huge life insurance policy... Go Shinko you can get a set of 009 shinkos for under $200. But I have to say that I do not recommend shinko for aggressive riding, just to be able to sleep at night, and so you have no basis for a law suit.
If you really want him to have good tires for track, and aggressive street riding, spend the money get some decent tire. It will cost him less pain.
This is just my opinion though.

I'm running Shinko's on the ZX6R and really can't fault them in the wet or dry, I'll definately run them again with zero concerns.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power.....best bang for the buck...especially for a street only rider...awsome in the wet and dry.....I have been using them as my street tires(gsxr 1000) and have absolutely no complaints.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Kneedraggers.com has a good deal on Dunlop Q2's. Great tire. Here's the link to the page. He will need a 120/70r17 front and a 190/50r17 rears. Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Tire Combo | KneeDraggers
i just ordered the dunlop sportmax q2 to give em a try. they seem like good tires. im gonna give em a run for their money and hopefully i will like em.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power.....best bang for the buck...especially for a street only rider...awsome in the wet and dry.....I have been using them as my street tires(gsxr 1000) and have absolutely no complaints.
Another vote for Michelin Pilot Powers.
The Pilot Power 2CT is slightly more expensive, though I have heard they don't last as long and have no better grip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I was a racer I went down on Pilot Powers due to lack of front end feedback. This was a few years ago and I'm sure they have changed compounds since then. When I raced I ran Pirelli Diablo Superbikes but they are not street legal. My 929rr has the Q2's and so far have given great feedback and the price is pretty good.

·
Registered
746 Posts
When I was a racer I went down on Pilot Powers due to lack of front end feedback. This was a few years ago and I'm sure they have changed compounds since then. When I raced I ran Pirelli Diablo Superbikes but they are not street legal. My 929rr has the Q2's and so far have given great feedback and the price is pretty good.
are you riding q2's on street or track?

·
Registered
9 Posts
are you riding q2's on street or track?
I'm running them on street right now. Track days soon to follow! I haven't been an active racer for 2 years now so I'm sure tire compounds have changed. I will say the Pirellis saved my butt a few times at The big track at Willow Springs. Regarding the Q2's, hard to beat a quality street tire for under 3 bills.

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
I'm running Shinko's on the ZX6R and really can't fault them in the wet or dry, I'll definately run them again with zero concerns.
I always wondered about the Shinko's when I'm pricing tyres, the tread pattern looks great but I've never heard any feedback about them from Mr Joe Average (no offence Larry). Would you run them on a litre bike on the road?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I always wondered about the Shinko's when I'm pricing tyres, the tread pattern looks great but I've never heard any feedback about them from Mr Joe Average (no offence Larry). Would you run them on a litre bike on the road?
Absolutely, no concerns at all.
The set I'm running were put on by a mate so I don't actually know what they cost. He'd been on my case about the state of my tyres for months after I had a huge front-end lose in front of him one afternoon. I made the mistake of leaving my bike within his reach for a few hours and when I got it back the well-past-rooted Bridgestone front and Dunlop touring rear had miraculously changed into new Shinko's :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
$256 for the set and FREE shipping.

Yes, great price on very good tires.

I got 9,000+ miles on my last set - Honda 919 (Hornet), mostly street with a few track days.
hey, bumpin this back up so i can ask about the pilot powers..i found a pair brandnew for 245 shipped and wanna know if thats as good as a deal as everyone makes it seem. are they that good of a tire? and can you really get 9000 miles out of them on regular? or is that because you had no fun?(haha just kiddin..) guess i should say what i want'em for too, haha mainly street, but i i want something thats gonna stick when im leanin in the corners or gettin it on them curves. i figure ill get another set for the track once i have the gear, but i guess i mainly want somethin that'll perform on the street too

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey, bumpin this back up so i can ask about the pilot powers..i found a pair brandnew for 245 shipped and wanna know if thats as good as a deal as everyone makes it seem. are they that good of a tire? and can you really get 9000 miles out of them on regular? or is that because you had no fun?(haha just kiddin..) guess i should say what i want'em for too, haha mainly street, but i i want something thats gonna stick when im leanin in the corners or gettin it on them curves. i figure ill get another set for the track once i have the gear, but i guess i mainly want somethin that'll perform on the street too
Yes, $245 shipped is a good deal; better than any I have seen at the usual places I get tires.

The Pilot Power 2-CTs are generally more expensive than the non-2CT version, though both are GREAT tires.
At least one very knowledgeable rider, who test-rides professionally, considers the Pilot Power tires the best street/track tire available. His SECOND choice is the Pilot Power 2-CT.
While these tires won't stick as well as dedicated track slicks, they are a very good choice for track days. Any rider who can keep a knee-dragging pace with track slicks will still be able to do drag knee when on PP's or PP 2-CTs.

Yes, I really did get 9,000+ miles on the last set of Pilot Power 2-CT tires on my bike. Much closer to 9,200 to be more precise. Most of those miles were in traffic commuting to & from work (hence my screen name). I did three track days on that set of tires, too.
Would I get 9,000 miles with them mounted on a 1000rr? Probably not ;)

The last set of tires I mounted were Pilot Road-IIIs, and even did a track day with them in the rain. I was impressed with them on the street and on the track.

·
Registered
746 Posts
right on man that's the reply i was hopin for. I prolly won't get to the track on them too much, but like I was sayin, I just want somethin that I know is gonna hold true when I'm gettin on it through the curves. good look tex

1 - 20 of 32 Posts