Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Aren't SP2 disks lighter/thinner than SP1? Would they have to be swapped or would they work with SP2 pads? ???

Are the axles sizes the same? Would bearings have to be swapped therefore?
I somehow remember that between some CBRs and RCs there are differences solved by bearing sizes and somehow SP1s and SP2s had some difference. I also think the 929/954 disks were larger than on RCs, right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anseres to your question and more!

Aren't SP2 disks lighter/thinner than SP1? Would they have to be swapped or would they work with SP2 pads? ???

Are the axles sizes the same? Would bearings have to be swapped therefore?
I somehow remember that between some CBRs and RCs there are differences solved by bearing sizes and somehow SP1s and SP2s had some difference. I also think the 929/954 disks were larger than on RCs, right?
The SP2's brake disks are thicker than the sp1. I believe that these are interchangeable.
Front axles are same size, SP-2 unit is allegedly 0.5lb heavier than SP-1 but I've never weighed them. They both fit fine.

Rear axles look the same and interchange perfectly as well.

929RR/954RR discs are 330mm in dia, don't recall orig thickness as my reference manual got 'claimed' last night. (Honda may have used 330s to help hide the crow-eating that came with finally going to a 17" front hoop). :rotfl:

SP-1 & SP-2 brake discs are 320mm diameter.
SP-1 discs are 4.0mm thickness when new, SP-2 discs are 4.5mm thick to help prevent warping. :eyebrows:

You can use either front caliper on either an SP-1 or SP-2, but MUST use the appropriate caliper mounts for the fork tubes you are using (SP-1 calipers on SP-1 mounts, SP-2 calipers on SP-2 mounts on either style fork tube). :thumb:

SP-2 front calipers are slightly lighter than SP-1.

Rear calipers are identical but mount is different of course.

Any more questions while we are on the subject?

:patriot:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.